Author Topic: Grenade launcher -  (Read 14439 times)

Offline Saigon1965

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Grenade launcher -
« on: October 21, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »
Gentlemen - I picked this up not long ago -

In reading I understand this might be of Romanian heritage -

Hoping to shed more/new lights to this item -

Unfortunately for me - I no longer have a Romanian SKS - Something I need to look for again -

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Grenade launcher -
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 10:12:31 PM »
Yup... thats what it is.  Not to much to state or find out about it.  Neat little accessory.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:24:24 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Saigon1965

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
How did it get here? How many? Were they on guns then removed?

This was sold to me as an NK unit that supposedly came off an NVA SKS - We know that's not fact -

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »
How did it get here? How many? Were they on guns then removed?

This was sold to me as an NK unit that supposedly came off an NVA SKS - We know that's not fact -

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:45:32 PM »
Actually...  I should elaborate.

These are thought to be for the Romanian sks BUT, some have reason to believe the story is a dealer fabrication and they may actually be for an FAL.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Saigon1965

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:56:36 PM »
Interesting - I don't have a FAL handy - Will have to ask a friend to bring his over -

Any one in particular?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »
I dunno....  read it on a gunboards thread at one time.  Could have been another FN rifle?  I cant seem to find the thread right now.

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »
No facts have surfaced about these launchers but one thing is for sure they fit the SKS like a glove

8)......................Joe
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
I'm not up to date on spigot launchers, No clue who made the OP's launcher, but I still wonder if it's actually what the claims are.

I mean aside from the mounting method, the sight it self looks an awfully like this one, maybe an earlier/later revision, manufactured for or by another nation.
Bulgarian FN FAL and FN 49, both FN rifles were used by many nations, maybe, just maybe. With no conformation, written on paper, signed in blood, we may never know.

Till then, ALIENS thumb1

FN 49 launcher

Bulgarian FN FAL launcher
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:36:18 PM »
And something else that really kinda bugs me :o

Most semi/full auto rifles capable of firing a grenade have a gas shut off provision integrated into the design. With most rifles, they have a limited powder charge, any gases wasted in operating/cycling the action is wasted during the firing of a grenade, a gas shut off negates this, allowing the full gas volume to propel the grenade.

Not a complete list, just to name a few, rifles are typically designed for such duty:
A bolt action need not apply here.
FN FAL
French Mas 49/56
Yugo M59/66
Yugo M70
Polish Kbkg wz. 1960/72
Hungarian AMP-69
M-14
Even the M1 Garand with an M7 launcher cuts the gas off.
OH, lookie there, a North Korean SKS has a gas shut off as well.

NOW :o, I'll get to my point, what is missing from a Romanian SKS??? 

And, in it's native state would it be nearly as efficient at launching a grenade any distance as a Yugo M59/66?? 

Is there a Romanian SKS with a gas shut off for use of such a device??

I don't know, but on the last two questions, I'm guessing not!!

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »
^,  thumb1 +1

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
I dunno....  read it on a gunboards thread at one time.  Could have been another FN rifle?  I cant seem to find the thread right now.
here is one link,
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?221294-SKS-detachable-spiggot-launcher-Pictures-Added

And this quote
They were sold by I.M.A. (in NJ) about 10 or 12 years ago (for $29 if I'm not mistaken).
in the above link kind of eliminates North Korea, think for a second, when if ever, have we to imported something from there or they exported to the U.S.

So lets say North Korea is out based on trade and animosity, the Romanian SKS could be out as well, no gas shut off valve makes for a very inefficient launcher. 

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »
Ok, Like I have stated and condensed in one post, what or how you deal with my opinion on this subject, it's just that, an opinion. thumb1

My opinion #1- The Romanian SKS does not have a gas shutoff valve. Laws of physics can't be broken, gases, electricity and fluids all take the path of least resistance. In this case, an unblocked wide open gas port. Plus, what ever pressure is lost during the action cycling. One way around it, is a very high gas volume cartridge, something to equal out the gas volume lost, but then it would be even nastier back blast as the action cycled.

The average 22mm anti tank grenade is pretty beefy, a NATO M31 HEAT is 25 ounces, the Yugoslavian M60 HEAT grenade used on the Yugoslavian M59/66 is around 21 ounces. Now stick one or the other on the launcher with a small x39 rifle cartridge coupled with no gas shut off, if it does launch, you could possibly be in the blast area after you get a face full of hot gases.  If it does actually go some distance, it could be severely limited in range, again, due to gas losses. The smoke and night light grenades were a little lighter in weight, even at 16 ounces, thats still a full pound.

My opinion #2- if these were actually imported as some have said at some point, this completely eliminates North Korea, nuff said!!!

My opinion #3- This one is quite a stretch, if Romania issued these for this purpose, has a single rifle been seen with markings where the thumb screw mounts. Damaged blueing, distorted metal, even scratches for mounting and unmounting it. I'm asking, because they would have had to have practiced with it at some point, there by mounting it, I'm sure firing would have had some effect with it moving around at least some and removing it afterward.  My Finnish M39 rifle bears the marks of a blank fire adapter on the muzzle, so a grenade launcher should leave something. Now, before you cry refurb, come on, my three Romanians have worn bluing, most do so they didn't grind this or that, smooth out nicks and bumps.

My opinion #4- Type METRE in to a language translator for Romanian, it comes out METRU, at least the 6 translators I tried did, METRE is a UK spelling.

My opinion #5- It bears a striking resemblance to a FAL launcher, "if" IMA did import these who is to say back in the day, they weren't like Classic Arms used to be. Make stuff that didn't previously exist, like a chromed Tokarev or Mosin and call it something cool and mount it on a Romanian SKS. Is it a BubbaGump grenade launcher? May explain the lack of any type of factory stamps or markings. Now, if they had mounted it on a Russian SKS years and years ago when they were done, today, it would be known as Russian SKS grenade launcher.

My opinion #6, and my last one :) who has the documentation and physical proof?  Photos?? Anything to say with out a doubt, these are in fact 100% absolutely lay your hand on the bible and swear on your own grave :o, it's Romanian.   If you will, I might tell you where Hoffa is actually buried.

Again, these are my opinions, if I'm wrong, ok, I'm used to it, 20 years of marriage, I don't really care. chuckles1 But, then again no one has gotten around the Laws of Physics.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 07:49:25 PM »
Holy Crap!!!

I am now convinced this is NOT Romanian, nor was it originally intended for use o an sks. If you chop off the rear portion of that FN49 and notch it out for an sks... bam, instant fairy-tale.  :o

I am going with GMs #5 on this one....  good thing we have a wide range of knowledge on this board, and members who can research their ars off in the name of truth.

Offline Saigon1965

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 01:11:37 AM »
Great info Gents -

I picked it up simply due to the neat factor -

Thanks to the web - Everything will be documented -

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 01:40:56 AM »
Boy, this thread is so much less grumpy here. 

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 02:30:13 AM »

Well I tried to not be grumpy, but it didn't work. Just wanna throw my hands in the air like I just don't care.  Maybe just go take my happy meds, go slam my head in my car door, Woooosssssaaaaa and enhance my inner calm. thumb1 chuckles1 chuckles1

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 02:44:58 AM »

Well I tried to not be grumpy, but it didn't work. Just wanna throw my hands in the air like I just don't care.  Maybe just go take my happy meds, go slam my head in my car door, Woooosssssaaaaa and enhance my inner calm. thumb1 chuckles1 chuckles1

Seemed to me like you were the only one raising valid questions and inciting discussion...unfortunately discussion over there is like a bunch of old ladies fighting over bingo results.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 08:25:19 AM »
One thing of interest...

The GL in question appears to have two little holes on the sides of the ladder itself down dear the attachment point. It would seem to me these two holes are orientated to each other and the pivoting point of the ladder in a manor suggesting there (should) be some sort of detent mechanism to prevent the ladder from freely swinging. It does not appear to have any such provisions on the body itself to operate with these holes for securing the ladder in its respective up/down positions.  :-\

This leads me to think (insert someone here) utilized two different components to make this critter from parts that would have otherwise not be mated originally.

I am guilty of always thinking this was Romanian because I simply thought everyone has done the research already. I have been too consumed with Chinese riddles to bother, and likely will remain so. I have no idea who made this thing or why, but its worth investigating and I believe Carl has brought up some VERY interesting and valid points.   

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
I don't even care, it is what they say, if they its a South African sex toy, so be it it. Discussion don't do anything, it don't prove anything when both parties will not hear, listen or even read. My valid arguments still stand, until such a time when the Laws of Physics can be broken, why even make a failure.   Anyways,  if they won't put money where their mouth is, its's whatever. Not willing to back their claims, fine, if they are correct, they would stand to gain so much more than if I'm correct, simpley because, I don't really care.

If this is the future of collecting, because I said so, guess I need to find another hobby. Maybe knitting or something would work, nice and calm, never hear old women argue over which stitch is better. They just sit and knit.