Author Topic: Please help me decode.  (Read 3991 times)

Offline ajsalz208

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Please help me decode.
« on: February 06, 2016, 10:10:23 PM »

New to the forum, and have learned a lot, i think. Trying to break down my stamp codes and what I have, had bought originally.

All parts matching codes. Norinco built by CSI, ONT, CA. DP ****(Chinese symbols) c? 2200****. Had a Combat Exchange folding stock. D stamp on rear sight. Which im understanding is a sheet metal model, a lot of parts match up to the sheet metal D version. 20in barrel. 80s bolt carrier. Sheet metal receiver D series cylinder block. Had late arsenal set up for clip/spike. But late Chinese trigger housing. 17in cleaning rod, late China. 10rd fixed mag. But nothing lines up with the folding stock set up.

My bayonet D spike style but looks like the Mosin style for AK, similar to D type, doesn't have the adapter slot, like the D model calls for, mines oval/rectangle shaped not open. Mine doesn't have a clear factory code affiliation, close to the NE China code but not exact.

Guessing mines a built in 77, which I cant find more info on. Just looking to know a bit more history.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Please help me decode.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:55:35 PM »
DP Yanji City 56 Type made in 1977.     :)

We really dont have much info as to the purpose of the DP and DB marked guns....

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 12:03:23 AM »
I think you're a bit confused on the nomenclature.  Let me try to flesh it out for you:

An SKS D model started out life as a standard Type 56 SKS and was rebuilt at a factory in China to accept AK magazines.  There is nothing sheet metal about an SKS D.  The rear sight ladder on a D being marked "D" is a coincidence.  The Chinese utilized П, D, 3, and III as the battle sight setting on their rear sights.  Which character corresponds to which factory and what timeframe the gun was built. 

An SKS D does indeed have a standard size bayonet and many (if not most) will have the quick detach modification you're talking about.  There have also been standard Type 56s that have shown up with these quick detatch bayonets on them.  For a good read on SKS Ds (and indeed all the commercial variants produced, take a look a the D section of the Commercial page of the Chinese SKSGuide: http://chinesesks.weebly.com/commercial.html

Your SKS is a DP marked gun.  It is a standard type 56 SKS, and in no way, shape, or form resembles an SKS D.  There is much conjecture over what the "DP" actually stands for with some putting forth the hypothesis that it could mean "Deliver(y) Pakistan".  There's no proof of *any* of this, and frankly I'm not a big fan of this label at all as it's a total WAG without anything substantial to back it up.  We believe the character stands for Yanji City in NE China as all the DP and DB guns have characters that match up exceptionally well to major cities in NE China.  I only have two guns in my database, a 220027xx, 240013xx.  Both numbers appear to show pretty low production numbers, but with a sample size of only two, it's impossible to say for certain how many were made during the various years.  I suspect there are 23 prefixed DP延 guns out there too, but I've yet to see one.  The 22 should indeed correlate to the 22nd year of production which is 1977. 

Your gun originally came with a wooden stock.  Any plastic was most certainly added here in the states. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:20:48 PM by running-man »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 12:03:50 AM »
Ha, LC beat me to it :)

Offline ajsalz208

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:38:03 PM »
Thanks guys for the information, and clarification on things.