Author Topic: Speaking of Chinese RPK-style rifles...  (Read 14860 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Speaking of Chinese RPK-style rifles...
« on: October 17, 2016, 05:23:59 AM »
I hadn't realized there were a couple different styles of the Chinese RPK-style rifles.

The Type 81S and the Type 81MGS, imported by China Sports: (based on the Chinese Type 81 Rifle)
Very few Type 81's got in by '89. I had the chance to buy one, complete with the bayonet and scabbard, (which I would've bought the rifle just to get that cool bayonet!  chuckles1 ) I still kick myself regularly for passing that one up!  cry1

And the Norinco Type 86-S7, also imported by China Sports Inc.

A PolyTech .223 RPK: (Polytech may have designated their .223 model as a Type 84-S7, not sure on that?)

Same PolyTech .223 fitted with Russian RPK wood:

Note that the Chinese Club Foot Stock is about 2" longer than the Russian RPK laminated stock (and a bit taller):

Notice how the original Type 86-S7's had the bipod mounted in front of the FSB and the NHM-91's are mounted behind the FSB. If I remember correctly, this is because the 86-S7's had a 24" barrel and the NHM-91's had a 20" barrel. But I don't have access to a 86-S7 to confirm that.

And a pic of that cool looking Chinese Type 81 bayonet. (Not applicable for RPK-style rifles, but still cool. 8) )

firstchoice

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
Re: Speaking of Chinese RPK-style rifles...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »
Type 81 has a different operating system than the RPK. Visually similar but internally different.
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
The Type 81 has a gas system very much like a Vz58, it's not by all accounts....a true Ak, maybe more of a hybrid or crossbred with the Vz or SKS. Also, it like the Ak is built on a 1.5mm stamped receiver. They even figured in an adjustable gas system in to it. Now, as I understand they also had an experimental rifle, the 66-136 they built and designed the Type-81 around and modified to suit. It's spanned the whole spectrum, from RPK to bullpup design.

I had this article kicking around, so I converted it to photo and posted it. Lots if interesting stuff, from back when they actually wrote. :)

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
Great info!  I gather that the Type 81s are very rare in the US  ???  There must be some with talk of the aftermarket rail and foregrip etc.

It's interesting how the Chinese firearm industry evolved from inventing gunpowder, to strictly imported firearms by the late 19th to early 20th century, to licensed copies under the new Communist regime, to new designs with borrowed elements (which honestly, is true of most firearms).

Maybe we can put together a group buy for a bunch from Sri Lanka or Bangladesh that have been in the country for at least 10 years.  I mean they got them for $175 a pop, we could give them a decent profit and still get a nice deal.  Anyone have the time and import licenses...and connections in Sri Lanka?  chuckles1

Offline gregsthe1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »
Don't forget about the milled Polytech Legend National Match 20" RPK!

Offline scottyB

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 08:52:35 PM »
I love me sum RPKs

Looked for a Chinese one for long time and ended up with a NHM91.  A compromise but it is a nice shooter.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 11:21:37 PM »
I love me sum RPKs

Looked for a Chinese one for long time and ended up with a NHM91.  A compromise but it is a nice shooter.

Did you leave the thumbhole stock on the NHM-91 or were you able to find the clubfoot stock set for it? The NHM-91's are excellent rifles. Post up some pics of yours anytime!

firstchoice

Offline scottyB

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 09:56:48 PM »
I actually trimmed the thumb hole stock to resemble the Chinese clubfoot version but lacking the reinforcement pins it seemed not up to the task and I put a Russian RPK stock on it.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 01:02:38 AM »
Mine still has the thumbhole stock.. Haven't shot it much, I kinda have more fun with the other one in the photo chuckles1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 05:09:21 AM »
I've always wanted one of the type 81's.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
I actually trimmed the thumb hole stock to resemble the Chinese clubfoot version but lacking the reinforcement pins it seemed not up to the task and I put a Russian RPK stock on it.

Did it take much time to trim the Russian RPK stock to fit the NHM-91 receiver? I have the same dilemma with my NHM-91. I can't find the original Chinese RPK furniture for less than the cost of another RPK,  nea1 , but I did find a set of nice Russian RPK furniture. I haven't taken the plunge, yet, into permanently altering that set of wood to fit it.   

Mine still has the thumbhole stock.. Haven't shot it much, I kinda have more fun with the other one in the photo chuckles1

Well, yah!   drool2 drool2 drool2   I see pics of that and my mind goes to the Gollum and "my precious". 

I've always wanted one of the type 81's.

Same here! All I can find now are the Type 81 bayonets. And I "had" to buy one of those. I suppose I could tape it onto something and make believe.  dntknw1  I remember passing up one of the few semi-auto Type 81's that made it into the country because it "was too much money".  banghead1  I can't imagine that I would have stayed sorry about money spent for too long. 

firstchoice

Offline scottyB

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »
Not hard, just sand a bit and fit, sand a bit and fit.  Eventually it goes on.

Here are my Russian and Serb cousins.

Offline scottyB

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 07:04:19 PM »

Is this the stock that you reworked from the original NHM-91 Thumbhole stock?  Looks good!  I can see what you were concerned about for reinforcement pins. You could probably fit your own pins or just use it for display and looking good!

firstchoice

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
Not hard, just sand a bit and fit, sand a bit and fit.  Eventually it goes on.

Here are my Russian and Serb cousins.

Nice cousins to have!  Is that an actual Russian RPK kit?

firstchoice

Offline scottyB

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 04:04:44 PM »
It is Russian, Molot Arsenal  1978.  Not 100% matching and it was apparently a training rifle that would only fire blanks.  At least that was the story the guy who I got it from said was feasible.  Its built with an AKBuilder barrel on a Nodak receiver and side rail.  It shoots ok and I like to break it out every so often for range time. 

Offline scottyB

• Newber
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »

Is this the stock that you reworked from the original NHM-91 Thumbhole stock?  Looks good!  I can see what you were concerned about for reinforcement pins. You could probably fit your own pins or just use it for display and looking good!

firstchoice

Yes it is, it would probably be alright but I had a spare RPK stock so I fitted it on.  I was pleased how it turned out.  Sort of redeems it from the thumbhole stock it was.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 05:03:32 AM »
Did your NHM-91 still have the piece of pipe, or whatever it was, tacked onto the muzzle?  I'm wanting to take the plunge and de-ban my NHM-91 but I've always been hesitant, not knowing how much of a job it is to remove that faux compensator.  I can't tell if the threads are still underneath, or not.

Whoever made the thumbhole stock set for the NHM's did a fair job. The color of the finish on mine is a light shade of Walnut.

firstchoice

Offline scottyB

• Newber
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »
Did your NHM-91 still have the piece of pipe, or whatever it was, tacked onto the muzzle?  I'm wanting to take the plunge and de-ban my NHM-91 but I've always been hesitant, not knowing how much of a job it is to remove that faux compensator.  I can't tell if the threads are still underneath, or not.

Whoever made the thumbhole stock set for the NHM's did a fair job. The color of the finish on mine is a light shade of Walnut.

firstchoice

Mine came with a muzzle nut, it was not welded on.  I found a reasonable muzzle device on GB that was nearly identical to pictures I have seen online of the originals and after some filing to fit it timed in nicely.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 04:49:05 AM »

firstchoice

Mine came with a muzzle nut, it was not welded on.  I found a reasonable muzzle device on GB that was nearly identical to pictures I have seen online of the originals and after some filing to fit it timed in nicely.

Well, after thinking about it, I should have said that it was my Chinese NHM-90 .223 that has the "piece of pipe" tacked onto the muzzle. My NHM-90 came built on the pre-ban underfolder receiver and used a spacer rivit and caps to cover the UF mounting holes. It must have been brought in and got caught in customs when the AWB went into effect.  It was sold with the thumbhole stock, of course. I may have just picked up a stock set for use in de-banning it. I think I have all the 922r parts for it now.

The Chinese NHM-91 7.62 has the muzzle nut, probably the same as yours. I can't seem to break it loose to take the muzzle nut off and replace it with whatever muzzle device that I decide to use. I do know about the detent spring and pin and also that it's left hand threads. thumb1 14x1LH threads? Are there any members here with the NHM-91's that had any trouble removing the origianl muzzle nut? Has anyone had to pull the detent spring retaining pin, in order to release pressure or ?? I carefully dabbed some PB Blaster into the threaded area on the barrel and behind the muzzle nut.

Some day I'll get some good daylight, outdoor pics to show the color of the wood. Using flash indoors sucks, for me, anyway. It washes out the color and detail.

I put my /416\ Chinese 公安 PS Rifle next to the NHM-91 for color comparison.

firstchoice