Author Topic: Local k98 part 2  (Read 5219 times)

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Local k98 part 2
« on: December 23, 2016, 04:38:18 PM »
You may remember me from such threads as "local k98"... anyway I had to go pay off my shotgun from their layaway and put the No1 Mk3* on layaway if it was still there. I looked at the Enfield and decided against it since the bolt was non matching...for 349 I though it was too much.

Anyway I noticed a Mauser in the corner I hadn't seen before. Bubba had been here before me unfortunately.  It is a 337 code from 1940, only receiver and barrel match but all stamps are intact. It doesn't have Model 98 on the receiver if I recall. It's in a laminate stock, the bore looked really nice and I figured for my 1st K98 a mixmaster would be a good shooter.

The worst thing is that it was painted by what looks like dura-blue, it doesn't look like Russian paint to me, it's glossy. Hopefully I can strip it off without damaging whatever is left of the original finish.  I was flaking off the sight so maybe that's a good sign.
Here's the pictures, I didn't see an import mark, it's probably under the paint.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
Re: Local k98 part 2
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
I may be wrong, but I'd proceed with extreme caution on that one.  It looks to me like the "dirty birds" may have been applied after Bubba's dura-blue or whatever it is.... :o
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 05:24:59 PM »
I'd say that's a gamble with the paint potentially hiding markings or signs of alteration. Getting that paint off will likely be a pain in the butt. It appears to be the original barreled action from Gustloff-Werke and a mix of Mauser-Oberndorf and likely other parts. If I was looking for a mixmaster shooter with a good bore I might gamble on it for $400 or less. Otherwise I'd pass and keep looking.

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »
Well I rolled the dice on the 337 and it is certainly a mixmaster.  The paint is coming off nicely with citristrip revealing almost no remaining finish but also no obvious grind marks or other signs of tampering. The bolt is a S/42 with no serial number present but still retains the eagle. The bands are the late war style with phosphate coating.  Oddly enough there is no electro pencil marks on any parts, no x marks and no import marks either, so maybe its a parts gun someone put together. Besides the barrel reciever and trigger matching, I did find that the magazine follower matches as well. I am a low budget hobbyist so this scratches my K98K itch well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:56:30 PM by jeepguy »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 08:25:08 PM »
Awesome. Have you shot her yet?  If she shoots well and you didn't have to mortgage the farm to bring her home I'd say you did just fine.  She'll never make it into the Smithsonian, but sending some lead downrange now and then is a pretty good alternative!  thumb1

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »

So far so good. I have some Tom's wax on the way to get the stock fixed up. I was going to reblue with some opho-blueI have but I think perhaps not, it has a grandpa's closet look to it.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 06:25:31 PM »
If it were me... Id leave well enough alone.  Wipe the stock down with, I use lemon oil and be done, do it once and a while and thats it. I wouldnt touch the metal other than to oil it. Over cleaning and fluff and buff bluing causes more milsurp value decrease than any other thing short of polyurethane and chopping the metal.

Ok rant over  :) ... Nice catch.. Any import stamp?  If not, all the more reason to leave it be. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:59:54 PM »
Glad you decided against the reblue  thumb1 since that just diminishes value and looks odd as well.  For the stock, I like the lemon oil recommendation, or Ballistol is very appropriate for K98k's. Either one will clean the surface grime without adding wax that leads to a decidedly unoriginal shine.

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
It doesn't have any import marks, electro-pencil, or any other refurb marks that i could find. I don't know if it was perhaps a parts gun someone threw together or what, it doesn't really matter much to me, it's got a great bore and can't wait to shoot it .