Author Topic: 1943 Tikkakoski M91  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
1943 Tikkakoski M91
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:19:16 PM »
I filled the Tikka slot in my M91 collection a couple of weeks ago from an auction in FL  8) It had been rather neglected stateside but I could just make out a faint "AZ.." on the receiver in one of the auction photos, so I wanted it to go with my AZF VKT M39, if I could get it at a reasonable price (a bit of a challenge at auctions during tax return season). It actually cleaned up quite well though some corrosion pitting remains on the outside of the barrel at the muzzle end, on both barrel bands and the sling hangers. The bore shredded patches initially but after brushing, solvent cleaning, then shooting 10 rounds and hot-cleaning (brushing and flushing with an aqueous detergent and ammonia solution followed by patches)  twice at the range, the bore is in remarkable condition, with very good lands and grooves. I hit the 250 yd gongs with it but have yet to shoot for groups, since on that first trip it was really just about cleaning the bore.

This M91 was built with a Tikkakoski barrel on a 1908 Sestroryetsk receiver that has both Austrian AZF (Artillerie Zeugs Fabrik) and ŒWG (Österreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft) markings. The receiver has had a long and interesting journey from its original manufacture at Sestroryetsk located near St. Petersburg in 1908, capture by the Austrians 6+ years later during WWI, refurbishment at AZF, conversion to the standard Austrian round in WWI 8x50R (perhaps) at ŒWG, sale to the Finns and rebuilding to a Finnish M91 with a Tikka barrel made a mere 400 km NW of the starting point of its journey, 35 years hence. It has a war time stock (rounded finger grooves) with the Finnish finish Kiväärintukkiöljy, perhaps with a bit more bitumenous additives in the mix used at this time to get the thick black coating. I think the marking on the left side of the barrel is Austrian in origin, with its very different font, but I'm not certain.

Thanks for looking! I'm hoping to entice running_man out from his hibernation (Russian Bears do that you know) with some Mosin eye-candy  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: 1943 Tikkakoski M91
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »
 drool2 drool2 thumb1

Oh dats real nice... Finns are fun, and usually accurate......and sadly, they ain't getting any cheaper. Many have travel stories stamped right in them.

I have a AFZ stamped '42 Tikka Finn M91 I got many moons ago, it was rebuilt on a 1896 Izhevsk receiver.

On the number on the left side..on a few Finns of mine, that same number stamp usually matches the serial number stamped in the barrel. I could be the previous barrel number.. Given how picky the Finns were about their weaponry, it could have been rebarreled by Finland more than once, given how much Russia kept pissing them off.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:01:47 PM »
Thanks  :)

The antiques are always a bonus with respect to value and the fact that they’re from the 19th century tickles my history bone  :))

It’s possible that it was a recycled receiver from another Finn rifle but if it’s actually 95038 then I think a Finnish serial number is out. There weren’t any models/years with a 90K range SN.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »
The best source of Finnish Mosin Serial Numbers are the two spreadsheets in the following link from Gunboards:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?330312-The-results-of-17-years-worth-of-collecting-Finnish-Serial-Numbers

That's why I assert that the apparent SN on the left side of the receiver is probably not Finnish, since 90K range SNs have not been recorded for Finnish Mosins. Civil Guard numbers in the 90K range are known but they are preceded by an S or SS and should have been lined out during production of this M91 in 1943. Perhaps the SN is Austrian, certainly not Russian. If the "8" in the ones place was added later and the old SN is actually 9503, then it could be Finnish.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »
Nice Jon!  I bet you don't even need a small mallet to cycle the action on that beauty.  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 12:28:41 AM »
Wait...  what country is this?   

Looks good.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 09:34:25 AM »
nice, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 01:49:34 PM »
That's why I assert that the apparent SN on the left side of the receiver is probably not Finnish, since 90K range SNs have not been recorded for Finnish Mosins. Civil Guard numbers in the 90K range are known but they are preceded by an S or SS and should have been lined out during production of this M91 in 1943. Perhaps the SN is Austrian, certainly not Russian. If the "8" in the ones place was added later and the old SN is actually 9503, then it could be Finnish.

The 8 does have a different look vs the other 4 numbers... maybe it's just me, momma told me "that" would cause blindness.  I'm not going to get all domineering and assert myself or anything.....cause who knows their thought processes 80 years ago chuckles1

And I think RM would like a Finnish Mosin...all Finn'ed refined and tweaked out... maybe a nice Civil Guard or Suojeluskunta one would work for him. :)   No mallet, 2x4 or hammer is usually needed.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »
Nice Jon!  I bet you don't even need a small mallet to cycle the action on that beauty.  thumb1

Thanks Joe!

No, just a sharp smack with the palm, as usual  thumb1 You can't baby the Mosins  :))

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
Wait...  what country is this?   

Looks good.   thumb1

rofl  Thanks LC!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »
nice, thanks for sharing.  thumb1

Thanks Carl!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 03:43:51 PM »

The 8 does have a different look vs the other 4 numbers... maybe it's just me, momma told me "that" would cause blindness.  I'm not going to get all domineering and assert myself or anything.....cause who knows their thought processes 80 years ago chuckles1

And I think RM would like a Finnish Mosin...all Finn'ed refined and tweaked out... maybe a nice Civil Guard or Suojeluskunta one would work for him. :)   No mallet, 2x4 or hammer is usually needed.

Yup, could be. I need to dig out some WWI era Steyr firearms and look at the fonts as well as some of the other Finns on the rack.