Author Topic: Now, SKS30 #3  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Now, SKS30 #3
« on: December 11, 2019, 09:45:38 PM »
Found an SKS30 on GB and they finally made me a deal tonight, $696.00 including ship & tranfer.  The catch is that they only ship on Tuesdays.  It's out of a pawn store in Mesa, AZ.  Looks like the later bolt carrier, decent stock and metal, importer is Beta and the serial range is 880XXX.  As soon as I get it in I'll post pictures.  Cheers, Bruce.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: Now, SKS30 #3
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 06:29:05 AM »
Congrats! I love those Beta Arms import SKS-30's! That has to be my all-around favorite SKS. Looking forward to a big pictoral on it when you get it!

You now have 2 of the 3 known importers of the SKS-30. Find one of the elusive DIG imported ones and complete the set!  (And then sell me the set!)   :))

firstchoice
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 06:36:06 AM by firstchoice »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 01:57:16 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen  rofl

Seriously, congrats. Did I hint that I was looking forward to pics yet?  ???  wink1  :))

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »
just in time for Christmas, congrats.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 08:19:25 PM »
P32, well the charge hit my debit card so, for me, it better happen.  I'm also getting vague hints that you want to see some photographs..... ::)

Carl, knowing how freight is this time of year, I'll be lucky to get it by the 27th. whistle12

Once I get her in and torn down, I'll definitely post some pix.  I tried to copy some pix off of GB, but I couldn't get it to work.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 06:08:46 PM »
It got here today.  Let's see, packed in a 6x6x48 UPS box, only the gun wrapped in bubble wrap and the remaining void left empty allowing the Samsonite apes at UPS to prove that they can crush anything, with the magazine thrown in as an afterthought.  What could go wrong?  Hmmm, only the stock cracked from the wrist to the mag well.  Highly perturbed.  Freaking idiots.  Did I mention I was perturbed?  Here's pix of the damage.  I'll get pix of the rest as soon as I calm down, again.  Bike ride on my '80 Beemer worked the first time, but it's gotten dark.  Yeah, I can fix it and have fixed worse, but, ya know.  Sorry, had to vent.  Cheers, Bruce.

upload pics to internet

owenj492

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »
What a shame! I would be PISSED! Do you know if (shipment) was insured with UPS?

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 07:32:18 PM »
Really don't know if they insured it.  Told them I wanted the weapon, but that you can't get replacement stocks for them and it will have to be repaired.  I've packed and shipped many rifles and handguns.  I've never had a complaint.  Putting it in a cheap UPS box (cheap quality,  not cost) and not a rifle box, packed as it was, is begging for trouble.

owenj492

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
Is the stock like this:

I got the stock and handguard from GB, it was covered with black flex seal type rubber coating, removed about 98% with elbow grease and mineral spirits, someone also drilled holes for sling swivel studs.

If this stock could work for you, we could work out something.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »
Thanks, owenj, but mine has a bayonet and your channel is filled.  I tore mine down and this is how the split looks.  I'll use some small stock pins from the top and bottom and Gorilla Wood glue.  Like I said, done it before, can do it again, though come to think of it, this is the worst I'll have attempted.  Also found out why it was pawned.  The piston was seized in the gas tube.  Had to take a punch to the tappet end and bang it out.  Used an AR chamber brush to clean the tube and steel wool on the piston chucked to a drill.  There was 1mm to 2mm of carbon on the face of the piston, thick blowback on the tappet and even the bayonet has been discolored by the carbon.  She works now, though.  I'll take pix as the work progresses.  Cheers, Bruce.

owenj492

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 09:44:52 PM »
That crack is just heart breaking, I've had the same problem with stuck gas piston, last time I soaked everything in Hoppe's 9 for two days and cleaned with brake parts cleaner, I've also done what you described also. Please keep us updated with pictures with your restoration, I wish you good luck friend.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 10:49:08 PM »
Thanks, owenj. I didn't say it, but I appreciate your offer of the other stock.  If i blow this one, I might get back with you, but I'm pretty sure I can do what needs to be done.  I'll keep y'all posted.  Cheers, Bruce.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 07:33:20 AM »
That’s a shame! I don’t understand how brick and mortar outfits can fail to pack a firearm correctly but I also know from first hand experience that it happens  bat1

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »
Wow, that sucks! Do you have gun insurance? I have insurance that protects the shipment if with a major carrier. Also have you called the shop and complained? I would gladly take my money back and find another. Good luck!

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 10:44:32 AM »
Yes, I've called them and emailed with the pix.  The Lady that runs their GB sales has to discuss it with the owner.  I can fix it, we can make it stronger,  FASTER...(oops, flashbacks to the Six Million Series), it'll just take time.  Finding another is problematic since the SKS30's are getting fewer, and I just auctioned off a CSI imported SKS30 to cover this one.  If they cover the repair work, say 100.00 to 150.00, I'll be happy.  Cheers, Bruce.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 03:03:12 AM »
Wow. That hurts me to see it. I can imagine what it was like when you opened it up and found the damage. There's no excuse for that damage. How could that happen in "normal" transit situations? I may tend to go all conspiracy theory in these situations, but that looks to have taken a great amount of side loading to break that stock like that. We see battle pick-up stocks with cracks like that, but a trip half way across the States in a truck? Nah. That shouldn't have happened. Even with the gorillas throwing boxes across the room. Yeah, stuff like that gets my hackles up, too. Sorry you're having to deal with it Bruce. I'd definitely agree with at least $150.00 credit. I hope it works out for you.

Just curious. Did they even wrap the magazine when they threw it in the box?

firstchoice

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 08:39:43 AM »
Thanks, FC.  I've got the box and there are compression lines on both sides where it was sat on by something or dropped full length.  No response from the pawn shop other than what I've posted.  Come Monday I'll send another email and if no response, feedback will be accordingly harsh.  Cheers, Bruce.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 11:47:09 PM »
What's the name of the pawnshop?

I might just be in Mesa next month........
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 10:21:26 AM »
I really shouldn't tell you the name of Pawn Now wink1, since they might be a great overall business bat1.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »
The one on Mesa, Lindsay, or Apache Trail?

That's a pretty big chain in Phoenix and part east of there....
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7