Author Topic: Year Hunt for Crisp, #'s Matching  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Year Hunt for Crisp, #'s Matching
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:47:43 PM »
No arsenal stamp anywhere, all #'s matching - any ideas on YOM

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Year Hunt for Crisp, #'s Matching
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »
The first two digits are 12 so likely a 1967. The short lug threaded barrel is consistent with this “mid-production” era. Only about 7 of the smaller arsenals (besides Jianshe, /26\) were producing Type 56s in 1967. The arsenal marking and the Type 56 ideograms were probably scrubbed during refurbishment before export.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »
It could very well be a '67 with the S/N left and the rest scrubbed.  If that's the case, I think I would chalk this one up to a commercial import or maybe a precursor to the commercial imports.  That RSL is a really late version.  I wonder what other components may have been replaced?  What's the receiver cover takedown lever look like?

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
Thanks for the inputs. Any significance to the G5 after the serno? I'm also wondering if the "add 56" to the serno applies. This rifle practically in too good of condition for a scrubbed 1967. I'm always learning so your combined expertise is greatly appreciated!

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »
We don’t subscribe to the old “56 + millions digit“ formula. See the stickies for explanations.

It looks very nice because they refurbished it after scrubbing the markings, new hot blue etc. The letters were added after original production, either during refurbishment prior to export, or by the importer. It remains uncertain.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
I totally agree that the 56+ formula is a misnomer - just doesn't work out for a consistent dating method. (I just posted a new 'mystery' query under unaltered military; if/if the phenol stock is a genuine interim manufacturing replacement. I'm learning a hekkuva lot here!