Author Topic: Odd looking serial on 1957 Romy  (Read 12927 times)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Odd looking serial on 1957 Romy
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »
fir?

The stock was pretty dirty, but I'm certain it was Beech. (Har, har)

I'm reminded of the 8 or so mismatched, absolutely-nothing-special, Chinese beaters that I jumped at with no questions asked last year, and I'm kickin' myself for hesitating yesterday on this Romanian beauty of a beast. Lesson learned. A mistake I will not make again.

Easily one of the more interesting/unique SKS carbines I've EVER encountered at the local shows.

It's not much of a consolation, but I still have a Beretta 92S to look forward to sneaking into the safe. So, there's that.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »
My phone has issues (ok ok i have issues when posting on my phone)  chuckles1

Commonly fat fingered words. Fir = for, tge = the, and abd = and. Happens so often it's obviously a bug in the phone doftware!  rofl2

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »

Commonly fat fingered words. Fir = for, tge = the, and abd = and. Happens so often it's obviously a bug in the phone doftware!  rofl2

I smell..... deflection..  rofl

neither fir or for...still in the phrasing it is not enabling.... fat thumbed, misspelled 'er not, you were speaking in Appalachian dialect, you just didn't realize it  fart1

Ok.. backwoods language lesson 101.....in my neck a tha woods.. "it's "for" the best" and 'it's "fir" the best" mean pert near the same thing..just like "get" and "git", "hill" and "heel".. what separates these two uses of the term from the same individual, is usually 6 to 7 beers and maybe a greasy pork samitch...

Now instead of looking at a super fine outstanding nude Romanian hottie.......it will be some Sicilian Mafia Fiat peperoni pizza pistol rofl2 All ya had to do was "make the seller an offer he couldn’t refuse"  rofl2
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:26:11 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »

I smell..... deflection..  rofl

neither fir or for...still in the phrasing it is not enabling.... fat thumbed, misspelled 'er not, you were speaking in Appalachian dialect, you just didn't realize it  fart1

Ok.. backwoods language lesson 101.....in my neck a tha woods.. "it's "for" the best" and 'it's "fir" the best" mean pert near the same thing.. what separates these two uses of the term from the same individual, is usually 6 to 7 beers and maybe a greasy pork samitch...

Now instead of looking at a super fine outstanding nude Romanian hottie.......it will be some Sicilian Mafia Fiat peperoni pizza pistol rofl2 All ya had to do was "make the seller an offer he couldn’t refuse"  rofl2

I smell something also but I dont think it is "deflection".  I think it smells like something else.   chuckles1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 10:35:17 PM »
Not much in the way of '57 guns.  I'm surprised by the lack of photo evidence I have.  (Boris, you have my permission to regret this one!)  thumb1

Only other PS I have.  An early undated gun:

AA's:

Early DE's:

Late DE's:

I'm going to say the '57 to '58 transition is somewhere between DE1500 and DE2000.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »
Ahh one thing about the PS gun that BB posted earlier and the one I just posted myself that I just noticed...they have leading zeros.  *None* of the other Romy's had *any* leading zeros that I'm aware of (see the DE34 example above)...

We know the Chinese used leading zeros in the Soviet-Sino series.  It appears the PS series has similar pedigree.  Very interesting.  thumb1

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 11:27:33 PM »
(Boris, you have my permission to regret this one!)  thumb1

Trust me, RM, the regret is deep. Yesterday morning the dealer was so certain that it wasn't going to sell he was already telling me he was willing to work with me on the price.

This morning when I went back, he said to me, "You're never gonna believe this, but it sold about five minutes after you walked away."

Of the early serials you posted above, the DE1133 is only one that resembles the contours of the PS  in my initial post: no raised edges, the smooth appearance and the overall indication that strikes are shallow. The absence of the Romy arsenal triangle could be evidence that it has been polished.  The arsenal stamp was very light on the PS rifle I posted as well.

Thanks for posting these pics.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:02 PM »
...good eye on the "0" place holders too.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 11:37:32 PM »
...hmmm.

Possibly an indicatation that the DE serial pre-dates the PS serials? --i.e. the absence of four digit place holders that was standard in subsequent serial ranges suggesting that the DE serials were stamped before the four digit standard had been established?

Also in line with the soviet practice of omitting place holders.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »
I sure hope the Beretta hand select I have coming from Classic has a million dollar bill rolled up inside the barrel.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 12:22:54 PM »
...hmmm.

Possibly an indicatation that the DE serial pre-dates the PS serials? --i.e. the absence of four digit place holders that was standard in subsequent serial ranges suggesting that the DE serials were stamped before the four digit standard had been established?

I think you have it backwards. The rest of the Romys follow the Russian convention just like the DE's.  PS is the outlier with the four digit/leading zeros.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
...hmmm.

I think you have it backwards. The rest of the Romys follow the Russian convention just like the DE's.  PS is the outlier with the four digit/leading zeros.

Ah. I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Now, I regret the missed opportunity even more.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 02:29:25 PM »
Ahh one thing about the PS gun that BB posted earlier and the one I just posted myself that I just noticed...they have leading zeros.  *None* of the other Romy's had *any* leading zeros that I'm aware of (see the DE34 example above)...

We know the Chinese used leading zeros in the Soviet-Sino series.  It appears the PS series has similar pedigree.  Very interesting.  thumb1

With the exception of Romanian built Aks....this could be due to so many being commercial built imports vs ones actually sporting a true blue Ak built from a chopped up automatic rifle. Out of all the Romanian M44s and TTCs, I have yet to see one that has leading zeros(like the SKS, I haven't seen every serial :) ).. Both of these weapons typically marked like the SKS, 2 letter prefix, xxxx serial and then year of mfg. Also near as I have seen, the M1969 trainer follows suit with no leading zero, slight difference, like the Mosin, it's usually barrel shank stamped, year above the serial. The difference is usually a single letter prefix followed by xxx number. The Vz24 Romanian contract rifles also sport the double letter prefix and xxxx serial, while this follows the above trend, it's not a native built weapon.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »
UPDATE:

Just FEI : still acutely regretting not jumping on this purchase when the rifle was in my hands.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »
UPDATE:

Just FEI : still acutely regretting not jumping on this purchase when the rifle was in my hands.

Hurts a little don't.  :)  There will be another...and another...and another..

Both another rifle and another regret...  there are bunches of both waiting to be  found around every corner. thumb1  Lord knows I have a few... er.. metric crap ton.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »
UPDATE:

rofl That happens occasionally, although my bank account says it very rarely happens.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
Missing a purchase ain't too bad... now when your at a gunshow and something raises your drawers, but you want to keep looking, 5 minutes later, you see some hamhock walking around with what you just looked at, the same item that moved your pants  fart1 ...or when you sell something....then truly regret it....then you ending up buying a different one back for more.. that really sucks.. or missing an auction by a fricken dollar fifty...thats a real piss ripper   rofl2 chuckles1

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »
Missing a purchase ain't too bad... now when your at a gunshow and something raises your drawers, but you want to keep looking, 5 minutes later, you see some hamhock walking around with what you just looked at, the same item that moved your pants  fart1 ...or when you sell something....then truly regret it....then you ending up buying a different one back for more.. that really sucks.. or missing an auction by a fricken dollar fifty...thats a real piss ripper   rofl2 chuckles1

Man, aint that the truth!  Been there, done that!   :(

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 07:59:18 PM »
In full commiseration mode,  I went ahead and added another slice of-- how did GM put it?-- "Sicilian Mafia Fiat pepperoni pizza pistol".

92s showed up today.

Closed the deal this morning on an a VG 85f direct from RGuns. 8+1 in .380acp.
Should be here Tuesday.

For surplus pistols-- I'm really digging the recent Beretta Italian service turn-ins.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
think1   hummm.. well... from an Enablers point of view..... sounds like your drowning your sorrows, replacing a loss with what you interpret as a gain.... ya done got all down in the dumps, feeling begrudgingly miserable, hating yourself, regretting your past indiscretion, suffering...all alone through the withdrawal D.T.s, shivers and sweats, loss of sleep, that sickly feeling....hoping to pacify it by substituting super great type of fix for another fix of lesser feeling, and then weakly justifying it in the end.....classic sign of mid/late addiction symptoms.. aww damn... I'm outta bourbon.. oh, lookie, here's a light beer, it will do.... I guess  cry1  chuckles1

We're here for ya buddy  thumb1 rofl2