Author Topic: Desert Fox SKS Buffer  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Gator Monroe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Desert Fox SKS Buffer
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
 Purchased a Desert Fox SKS buffer (Black hard plastic/rubber ?) Are they GTG or are there only a few that actually work (Buffer Technologies ?) 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Desert Fox SKS Buffer
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »
They are pointless

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:45:55 PM »
I have no idea how they would work in an SKS or any other semi-auto rifle/carbine for that matter. But I have used (and am at present using) leather buffers and heavier springs in my .45 autos because I shoot +p loads. The DO NOT absorb or lessen recoil but merely has a cushioning effect to help prevent the slamming of the slide to the rear.

As Loose}{Cannon is alluding to, they probably are not really needed in an SKS!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »
 If the bolt/carrier are striking/contacting the rear of the receiver, then simply replace the recoil spring. Sticking a buffer removes the empty space and transmits the force to the rear of the receiver, when in reality, it's not even supposed to contact the area to begin with.  It's simply a bandaid for a weak recoil spring.

And if it needed a buffer, why wasn't it designed with a buffer, they knew and realized the need for them before the SKS was even dreamed up, the PPSh-41 and PPS-43 both have one. Even the Finnish Suomi designed in 1931, it kind of has a crude buffer, it uses compressed air trapped in the receiver as a buffer. How many rifles through the years have survived without a buffer that a buffer is now made for?  I never have found a USGI issue buffer in my M1 Carbines or Garands, but, one is made for them.

But, hey it's your money.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem