Author Topic: SKS D mag latch issue  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Optimus140

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
SKS D mag latch issue
« on: September 03, 2020, 02:10:01 PM »
I have a Norinco Sporter (I believe what’s called a “D” model that accepts AK mags). I have issues with the trigger, which led me to take apart the trigger assembly to troubleshoot (I may create a separate post about that issue in the future). I didn’t see any videos or tutorials online specific to the D or M trigger assemblies, so in the course of following the trigger assembly videos I found for a standard trigger assembly, I kind of winged it and took out the mag latch. In hindsight, I may not have even needed to take the AK mag latch off, but now it’s off and I can’t figure out how to get it back on. To make matters worse, I lost the AK mag latch spring it came with; accidentally compressed and launched into my basement somewhere. I ordered a replacement AK mag latch spring I thought looked pretty similar, but now that I have it in person I see it is much thicker and wider. So I’m at a bit of a loss what to do now. Here are some pictures of what I currently have.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
Re: SKS D mag latch issue
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 07:40:40 PM »
I think part of the issue was the replacement AK magazine latch spring I purchased isn’t exactly the same. So I set about to scour the basement and find the original spring. It turned up and is indeed different. I think the new AK-47 spring I purchased would have needed modified to get it to work. So I’ll try again with the original spring (pictured on the top, for visual comparison to the AK-47 spring I was trying to jam in the mag catch). You can see the one arm on the original spring isn’t even shaped the same, and the original spring has fewer coils.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:58:11 AM by Optimus140 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
I confess I have never worked on a D/M trigger assembly so have no idea how the mag release is set up. I can say that if you try and make that spring work you will need to heat it up to bend it then temper it on the cool down. Otherwise, it will be brittle and break on you and I don't think you can just bend it because most springs are tempered and a cold bend can cause it to break as well. You might try reaching out to Tom Prince at kivaari.com to see if he maybe has the right spring you need. And if you can't fix the FCG yourself he can take care of it for you.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 08:14:45 PM »
I see he comes highly recommended for trigger work. And given the lack of info on the web about working on a D or M trigger assembly, maybe I should quit while I’m ahead now that I have the original spring back in my possession, and send it to a pro.

Here are some pics of what I’ve tried. It almost seems like I could hook the one arm of the spring over the pin that holds the sear spring in, and push it together. But the correct method is eluding me so far.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:08:29 PM »
I tried tackling the problem a little differently. I put the rifle back together in the stock to see if I could get the mag latch on any better. I placed a punch pin through the latch without the spring and tested functionality, and otherwise, everything seems to work. I just can’t figure out how to get the mag latch and spring back on.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 09:11:40 PM »
That actually looks correct to me. Anytime you have a "hook" on a spring like that it is usually to catch a pin or something perpendicular to it for it to retain tension. Try putting the pin in far enough on one side to catch the release lever. Then, with your pin punch handy, have it barely to go through the trigger housing and lever on the other side. Next, take a fatter punch that will push the lever spring down in place(you want something that won't allow the spring to pop out and go flying) allowing it to catch the sear spring pin as in your pic. Finally, push your pin punch through the holes so as to catch the spring to hold it in place. Your final step will be to press the lever pin through the spring and into the holes on the other side pushing the pin punch out as it goes.  Hope that makes sense.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:40:39 PM »
Thanks, I’ll give it another shot tomorrow, and if it’s too tough for me to figure out, I’ll see if a local gunsmith can get it on there for me. I’m so close now! I’m pretty confident I fixed the underlying issue with the trigger assembly that prompted me to disassemble in the first place; just need to get the darn mag latch back on.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »
If you have a vise you can start the pin and get it set up in the vise then hold the spring in place while closing the vise jaws thus driving the pin through to the other side.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 01:55:07 AM »
Controlling the energy of the spring is key.I can take a pic of my Sporter mag catch and post it up tomorrow to help guide you.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 09:50:53 AM »
Controlling the energy of the spring is key.I can take a pic of my Sporter mag catch and post it up tomorrow to help guide you.

That would be awesome; thank you so much. If you do that and I manage to figure it out, I’ll post pics of the process so it’s available for future reference.

owenj492

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »
Hope these can help, seems the angled part rests at that pin:

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 04:19:53 PM »
Sorry for the blurry pic but here you can surely see both legs of the spring on the same side of the mag catch of the Sporter.The bent leg of the spring goes over the trigger housing latch pin.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 04:27:08 PM by Bubbazinetti »

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 04:29:05 PM »
delete
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 02:03:20 PM by Bubbazinetti »

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »
Thanks guys, the pics helped me see the spring orientation. I think I am getting it into position properly now, but am struggling to get the mag latch pin in.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 04:51:13 PM »
I might need to recruit a friend to hold the punch pin oriented in place while I get the mag latch pin started. I don’t have enough hands or I’m doing something wrong.

Offline Optimus140

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 09:40:27 PM »
I used a series of progressively bigger punch pins until I got a punch pin the size of the latch pin in there. Then it was lined up better and I was able to get the latch pin back in. Whew, that was a project. Probably would have sent this off to a gunsmith if I knew what I was getting myself into when I started taking the trigger assembly apart for this one.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 10:35:45 PM »
You put it in backwards....... :P Just kidding. Well done.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 11:02:27 PM »

Laff GG, you aren’t getting a Christmas card from Optimus this year!

Glad you got it together Optimus. Let us know how she runs!  thumb1

owenj492

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 07:26:38 AM »
Make sure you pull the hammer back before inserting back into the receiver!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 10:37:23 AM »

Laff GG, you aren’t getting a Christmas card from Optimus this year!

Glad you got it together Optimus. Let us know how she runs!  thumb1

But I nicknamed him Optimus Prime first so I figure I had a Mulligan comin'