Author Topic: DIG import SKS-30 with 25 million SN  (Read 356 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
DIG import SKS-30 with 25 million SN
« on: December 25, 2023, 01:09:56 AM »
I saw this through one of the Auction posts for another SKS. This is a listing on gunsinternational.com:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/sks-rifles/norinco-sks-rifle-with-detachable-mag.cfm?gun_id=102533326

The DIG-imports of the SKS-30 are a bit rare and not posted often. BETA ARMS and China Sports had the lions share of the 1988 import of the SKS-30. They both used the "88" (import year) and then a 5 digit serial number on their guns.  88XXXXX 

The DIG-import on this gunsinternational.com ad uses a 25 million serial number. I hadn't realized that the Chinese were that far ahead of the curve to be manufacturing the SKS-30 in 1980 in preparation for 1988 exports to the USA. One of those smack to the forehead moments for me. Am I missing something or is this a correct deduction/assumption?  Or, were DIG's imports from receivers already made, and different from the new-made receivers for the other two importers?

I'd post the ad picture but Photobucket has been bizarre today. At one point, I had absolutely nothing in my account. Almost 6,000 pictures...gone.  :o  That's disturbing, especially for the money I pay Photobucket every year. Wish me luck!

firstchoice

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: DIG import SKS-30 with 25 million SN
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 03:39:37 AM »
Looks like a 28mil serial 1983. Last known military production was 1984, 29th  (29 mil).

As i understand it, the sks30 are built on surplus type56 recievers., modified post ptoduction for commercial export.