Author Topic: M1917 Stock Questions  (Read 309 times)

Offline Ret-Sarge

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
M1917 Stock Questions
« on: November 18, 2023, 07:48:55 PM »
I've looked myself blind looking at the stock and then looking on the internet for answers. My stock is almost devoid of markings.

There is the E (Eddystone) stamp on the nose cap, and the 3S stamp behind the trigger guard and that is it. There are no Eagle stamps on it, no rebuild/arsenal stamps on it, and I see no signs of there ever being any either. Stock doesn't appear to have been sanded, as the finger grooves don't look rounded off to me. Could be wrong on that though, you never know.

So I'm a little confused over the lack of markings, as every stock I see/find on the internet is marked. So what say the brain thrust here? An M1917 stock that never got inspected and stamped? NOS/spare stock added at a later date? Etc, etc.....! I know it'll be a lot of conjecture and opinions.

Mike
TSgt USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: M1917 Stock Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 08:05:20 PM »
Your “NOS/spare stock” seems like the most reasonable guess. Perhaps higher unit (brigade, division) level armorers had such major parts in stock for relatively rapid refurbishment under deployment, or possibly some civilian restored the rifle with a surplus stock. Just my opinion, as I have no direct knowledge or sources to cite on the subject.