Author Topic: Another Arisaka Type 30  (Read 16329 times)

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Another Arisaka Type 30
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:49:21 PM »
While picking up my Tula today, I was offered an opportunity to bring home a battle-weary Arisaka 30 with an intact chrysanthemum.  The Type 30 rifle was adopted in Meiji 30 (1897) and was the primary weapon used in the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05 and also saw limited action during WWI. It is a five-shot box-fed bolt action rifle that fires the nearly impossible to find 6.5x50 SR Arisaka round. 

This rifle, like Blicero's example, was also manufactured at the Tokyo Koishikawa Arsenal, but rolled off the line during the last year of production in 1905 and has not been retrofitted with the trigger guard safety to prevent accidentally dumping the 5 round magazine if wearing gloves.  This feature was incorporated in rifles that were exported to other countries such as Great Brittan, Russia, Finland, China, and others.

The kanji under the mum on the receiver cover reads "san-ju-nen-shiki, "30th year type"" or more simply Type 30.  The two holes on the receiver cover were for venting gases upward and away from the face of the user in the event the brass cartridge case split or separated. This feature, in some form, is seen on all Arisaka rifles.

The serial number is only located on the left side of the receiver and is followed by the arsenal stamp and additional kanji which are inspection marks.  The milled trigger group and magazine floor plate are void of markings. The stock may or may not contain a cartouch representing the name of the inspector.

When viewing these rifles, one may think that the stock is cracked, but the Arisaka 30 butt stocks were made from 2 pieces of wood secured by a bolt at the back of the extended trigger housing and another on the thin sheet metal like butt plate.  The stocks were originally finished in tung oil, when built, in Japan, so some with sensitivities may have a reaction when handling them.

The bayonet that was issued with the Type 30 was massive, measuring 15.75" from its hooked quillion guard to blade tip and 20.25" overall, but this may have been to compensate for the length of the rifle which measures some 50" in length.  Also, unlike many other types of bayonets, the Arisaka 30 bayo was sharpened on one side and could serve as a shōtō or short sword for close combat or as a last ditch weapon.

So, here are a couple of pics of my rusty, yet intact and original Tokyo Rose:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:39:49 PM by montigre »
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Another Ariska Type 30
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:24:46 PM »
Nice example, and a mum to boot  thumb1....actually the finish is a varnish called Urishi, which is made from the sap from a Sumac tree. The dust from it, if sanded can cause a reaction in people sensitive to poison oak, ivy or posion sumac. Usually people have no reaction in it's solid unmolested form, at least my Type 38 and 99 have never flaired me up :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
Re: Another Ariska Type 30
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 08:38:45 PM »
Thank you.  Yes, I was very surprised to have been given the opportunity to bring her home with me.  The owner of the shop also brought out some very nice examples of C&R rifles, carbines, and a beautiful Thompson submachine gun from his own collection for me to fondle and I have to admit to drooling all over the place like a bull dog puppy. It was a very enjoyable day!

That's good to know about the finish, GM.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Another Arisaka Type 30
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 09:34:20 PM »
A Thompson thumb1 did ya bring it home thumb1 I still fondle mine...and drool on it like a tard eatin crayons.. :-[   I gotta keep it extra oiled up, don't want nasty drool rust stains and marks on it.. rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 10:16:27 PM »
I wish.....he was just letting me fondle them--there was not a snowball's chance of bringing any of those prize pieces home with me... rofl

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 11:53:41 PM »
Cool... I want a Nambu simply for the 'odd' factor.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 12:19:19 AM »
They really are odd creatures.  I assume you're speaking of the 14 instead of the 94.  Not very often you get to shoot a gun and see it's innards at the same time..... :o 

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 12:50:37 AM »
That is a really nice piece of history. I have only seen one intact Mum, that was a real treat. So is seeing this rifle, thanks for showing it off!  thankyou1

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »
I think I owe running man $100. I bet him that Zoltar would grant his wish and make him big before we ever saw another hook safety rifle on this board.

Interesting rifle, nice score. Have fun disassembling the bolt, if you're brave enough.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »
Interesting rifle, nice score. Have fun disassembling the bolt, if you're brave enough.

Thanks.  Haha...No way, I've heard too many horror stories about that bolt assembly.  :o  It's stayin put!!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 09:51:15 PM »
Cmon....   take it apart.  I wont kill ya.... needs a good cleaning is all.   :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
Cmon....   take it apart.  I wont kill ya.... needs a good cleaning is all.   :)

Sell that line to someone else, LC.....That bolt ain't goin nowhere!!  rofl2

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 12:35:02 PM »
Its just a bolt...  Dont let it kick your azz!     rofl

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »

Thanks.  Haha...No way, I've heard too many horror stories about that bolt assembly.  :o  It's stayin put!!

Gee, seems simple enough  ???  Wait, "hollow split screw"...step 3. make a tool of the following dimensions...with your fourth hand... :o okay, I made up the last part chuckles1

Disassembly of the Model 30 rifle or carbine bolt

Reference: Military Rifle Journal, May 2001, pages 131 and 134.

Before disassembling the bolt, check out the part names in the picture. It is also best to read through the complete process before actually beginning disassembly of the bolt.

In the picture of the disassembled Model 30 bolt, 1 and 2 are the two halves of the hollow split screw, 3 is the rear half of the bolt sleeve, 4 is the front half of the bolt sleeve, 5 is the bolt body, 6 is the firing pin, 9 is the bolt head, to which is attached the ejector (7) and extractor (8).

1. Remove the bolt from the rifle by pulling the bolt rearwards while depressing the bolt stop.

2. With the front of the bolt facing you, rotate the bolt head (number 9 in the above picture) 90 degrees to the left and then pull the bolt head (along with the extractor and ejector) out of the bolt.

3. A tool in the form of a cylinder 3/8 inches in diameter and 4 inches long with a central hole of at least 3/16 inches in diameter and at least 1 1/2 inches deep is indispensable in proceeding further without damaging the tip of the firing pin. Any piece of rigid metal tubing will do as long as it meets these basic dimensions.

4. Place the tool in the front of the bolt, over the firing pin. Grasping the bolt handle in your hand, push down on the tool (rest the tool against some hard rigid surface) compressing the mainspring about 1/4 of an inch.

5. At the back of the bolt you should see a disk about 1/8 inch thick with a knurled rim, a slot in the middle, and a spring catch on the rim. This is actually the head of the hollow split screw (numbers 1 and 2 in the picture above) that holds the mainspring and firing pin. Push the spring catch inwards (towards the slot) and unscrew the hollow split screw. The spring catch keeps the hollow split screw from unscrewing, so you will need to keep the spring catch pushed in while you unscrew the hollow split screw. A screwdriver can be used in the slot in the hollow split screw head to start the screw but, once the hollow split screw is started, it is better if you use your fingers rather than a screwdriver. Keep the mainspring slightly compressed by pushing down on the tool so that the hollow split screw will turn more easily. The hollow split screw does not screw into the rear half of the bolt sleeve (the part with the hook safety on it, number 3 in the above picture) but only into the front half (the piece that has the sear nose on it, number 4 in the above picture). So the hollow split screw will not screw out all of the way; instead when the hollow split screw is free of the front half of the bolt sleeve, (you can tell this when pressure on the front of the firing pin will move the hollow split screw up free of the front half of the bolt sleeve) press down on the tool, compressing the mainspring, until the hollow split screw is completely above the rear half of the bolt sleeve (the part with the hook safety).

6. The hollow split screw can now be separated into two halves and removed from the end of the firing pin.

7. Relieve pressure on the mainspring and withdraw the firing pin and mainspring out the front of the bolt.

8. The two halves of the bolt sleeve can now be removed from the bolt body.

Assembly is in reverse order. In assembling the bolt, the hollow split screw should be screwed in far enough so that there is no gap between the head of the hollow split screw and the back of the rear half of the bolt sleeve.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 12:58:10 PM »
Sounds simple enough to me.    thumb1.

fart1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
Alternative disassembly and cleaning method.

1. Remove the bolt from the rifle by pulling the bolt rearwards while depressing the bolt stop.
2. Soak bolt in a 3:1 mixture of mineral spirits and SAE30 motor oil overnight, drain.
3. Reinsert bolt.

rofl

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
Whats the fun in that?   Should know how to disassemble your firearm when the SHTF.

Possible live/die repercussions here...

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
Whats the fun in that?   Should know how to disassemble your firearm when the SHTF.

Possible live/die repercussions here...

rofl

If your Type 30 is your go-to SHTF firearm there are definitely some live/die repercussions here  moon1  chuckles1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 01:40:56 PM »
If your Type 30 is your go-to SHTF firearm there are definitely some live/die repercussions here  moon1  chuckles1

Laugh, beat me to it Jon!   :P  One might be better off swinging the type 30 with a bayo attacked like a poleaxe in that instance because I don't think knowing how to correctly disassemble and clean the bolt is really going to make or break you.  rofl2

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 01:43:04 PM »
Hey hey....  GM uses a powder musket for a shtf gun.   Dont judge.   didnt do