General Milsurp Weapons > Milsurp Hand Guns & Sub Guns

Sig Sauer M17

(1/5) > >>

jmaurer:
Picked up what I intended as a range toy last week, along with several New-In-Wrap (with appropriate Cage Code label) on-sale 21-round magazines. I normally carry a Glock 19; the trigger on the M17 is "Glock-ish", but just a bit better. On its first time out, I fired 300 rounds of OLD Remington yellow-box mega pack, 100 rounds of Norma Range/Practice, and 150 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass. All of it was 115 grain FMJ standard pressure stuff, and all of it fired flawlessly. I had previously stripped the pistol, cleaned it of all weird white assembly grease/lube, and treated all of the expected wear points with Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil. Point of aim was equal to the point of impact at 7 yards; this is a very accurate pistol. One hitch was at round number 480 (CCI): the slide failed to lock back after the last round. I am inclined to throw this out of consideration for the following reasons: I was tired, I was having trouble visually focusing after that many rounds, and quite frankly, I think I "limp-wristed" it from fatigue. The second hitch was trying to shoot some ancient Speer hollow point ammo (photo at the end of the spread): I loaded a couple of mags with this (20 rounds each), and using the slide stop to chamber a round, everything choked with the slide out of battery by about 1/8", and by hand pressure/strength, IMPOSSIBLE to dislodge. I was sure I had a Sig "dud/kablooey" and was headed to a gunsmith, but I ended up pressing the muzzle-end of the slide against a Forest Service wooden trash can cover to get it out. This was prior to shooting the 250 rounds of Norma and CCI without any issues. I knew I shouldn't have tried the Speer, since it was so old, and was in fact leaking some weird white filler from the hollow point aperture of each round. Some photos:

jmaurer:
A few more photos:

jmaurer:
As I understand, this pistol was designed to use M/XM1153 ammo, which is VERY close to the physical dimensions externally of the Speer ammo that seemed to give this pistol a heartburn. Has anyone here had experience with a military-issue M17 and hollow point ammo? The last few:

running-man:
Glad you were able to get the photos posted.  I'm not sure what the issue is with posting certain "imgbb. com" links, but it is certainly not consistent in the links that they give you when you upload photos to their site.

Nice rig!  Does anyone know what the feedback from the Army is on their new sidearm?  Love it / hate it / indifferent.

--- Quote from: jmaurer on February 13, 2024, 08:47:45 PM ---As I understand, this pistol was designed to use M/XM1153 ammo, which is VERY close to the physical dimensions externally of the Speer ammo that seemed to give this pistol a heartburn. Has anyone here had experience with a military-issue M17 and hollow point ammo? The last few:

--- End quote ---

Did the Speer ammo you have swell or otherwise deform with age?  That ammo should have conformed to some kind of 9 x 19 SAMMI/CIP specs when it was made I'd assume?  Just a couple thousandths easily makes the difference in headspace and chambering fully, but it is still odd to hear about a round that will consistently not chamber in a firearm it should fit, particularly a new one (but it does happen).

jmaurer:
The ammo looked OK, but I wasn't willing to try chambering even a second round. That's the first time I've ever had that happen with any handgun. I'll run it through one of my Ruger Vaquero convertibles instead!

Some of the ammo distributors have the M1153 from Winchester and it's usually very spendy, but I'd like to try some just to be sure. Some of it is even marked for use as reference/test control ammo, so it would be ideal to run through this one. It shoots well enough that I'd really like to use it for more than just a range plinker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version