Author Topic: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet  (Read 79088 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet
« Reply #340 on: February 10, 2022, 03:01:32 PM »
Interesting. The stock on your newly purchased 1950 indeed looks correct for spike bayonet. The one on serial IM 349 doesn't.

Being a Russian sneak, anything could have happened to the stock on ИM349 between when it left Russia through its time in Albanian to when it was imported into the US.  The scratchings within the S/N and date lettering seem a bit odd to me for certain.  It may not be a 1950 stock at all, but it's been on that carbine a long long time.  To me, the old number bears no resemblance to '349' either. 

Being that we only have a population of 3 ИM prefixed guns from '50, we just have to compile the data as best we can and not make the mistake of making absolute determinations when the data simply isn't there to support it.  Jstin2's carbine is certainly in the best shape of all 3.  Maybe they all looked like that off the line?  Maybe his carbine was a one-off?  Maybe there's some other implausible but possible case we haven't even considered yet to reconcile the differences in the three.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #341 on: February 10, 2022, 03:30:22 PM »
I put this in another post regarding stocks and forgot to enter it here. The cleaning rod opening in the stock is drilled.

https://ibb.co/album/yFk7sd

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #342 on: February 11, 2022, 11:07:05 AM »
When I was cleaning the bolt, I noticed a couple things that I found odd. The extractor has only a 3 on it, but when I removed it I found the whole serial number on it. Also there was a previous post about how the bolt and carrier were numbered the same, well mine is not numbered but has a stamp on it and looks like it may have been engraved. No idea what it is.

https://ibb.co/album/Jnn1yB

Sean's interesting 49 is not marked on top but on the inside. I then checked my EM 717 and it is only marked on the inside and nothing showing on the top. So it is not an odd thing on the extractor.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 12:32:20 PM by jstin2 »

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #343 on: February 11, 2022, 12:53:45 PM »
When I was cleaning the bolt, I noticed a couple things that I found odd. The extractor has only a 3 on it, but when I removed it I found the whole serial number on it. Also there was a previous post about how the bolt and carrier were numbered the same, well mine is not numbered but has a stamp on it and looks like it may have been engraved. No idea what it is.

https://ibb.co/album/Jnn1yB

Sean's interesting 49 is not marked on top but on the inside. I then checked my EM 717 and it is only marked on the inside and nothing showing on the top. So it is not an odd thing on the extractor.

IIRC, my 49 has the serial EP'd on inner side of extractor too.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #344 on: February 11, 2022, 01:23:54 PM »
They probably started out marking the inside of extractor then realized it was faster and easier to do it when it was on the bolt. My opinion only.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2022, 09:47:29 PM »
They probably started out marking the inside of extractor then realized it was faster and easier to do it when it was on the bolt. My opinion only.

One of my transitional 1950 (EO serial series) has serial EP'd on inside of extractor too.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2022, 10:50:21 PM »
I looked on my post about 50 transitions and although not all albums show the extractor, I found that #6 & #10 show no serial number on extractor. But #11 does, this is when the bolt transitioned to a free floating firing pin.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #347 on: February 28, 2022, 06:28:04 PM »
I took off the butt plate today and noticed markings on the butt. I am not sure if they are common, but I haven't seen or noticed this before.
https://ibb.co/xFnNsDr

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #348 on: March 05, 2022, 06:53:41 PM »
I was recently on another forum when I noticed a post from Jarret47 asking if his SKS was a true 1949. It had a 90 degree gas port and an eyelet latch pin but with a blade bayonet. He questioned the  trigger because the safety was not friction. From his picture I noticed that there was rise behind the magazine release and not flat. Therefore the trigger was probably replaced. The rear sight has also been replaced(not blued). Stock is also a replacement.  Now the dust cover is from a 1949 and has a refurb mark. But it appears that the serial number has been scrubbed and matching one stamped. From picture it doesn't look like it sits flush with the receiver. The receiver looks like it might be an early transitional 1950. It has the 90 degree gas port, eyelet latch pin and blade bayonet with the stock ferrule pinned at the top. Now the kicker is that the receiver serial number is EM 1999 and all other parts with matching serial number I also asked for permission to post his pictures and he okayed.
https://ibb.co/album/5Bkq7V

Online Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #349 on: March 05, 2022, 07:58:39 PM »
I took off the butt plate today and noticed markings on the butt. I am not sure if they are common, but I haven't seen or noticed this before.
https://ibb.co/xFnNsDr

Aren't these called "tramp stamps?"  chuckles1