Author Topic: Chrome bore or some other explanation?  (Read 561 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Chrome bore or some other explanation?
« on: August 15, 2023, 03:10:00 AM »
From this muzzle photo, is this  a chrome plated bore?

Its on a 1951 refurb posted at gunboards.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/my-first-sks-1951-tula.1245649/#post-11299655

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Chrome bore or some other explanation?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 09:56:33 AM »
Looks more like someone crudely took a drill bit to it than Chrome lining to me. Maybe an attempt at de-burring the crown? Just my $.02 worth though.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 10:27:53 AM »
It has got to be one of two things:

1) Chrome barrel is plated and the silver seen here is some excess (chromium) on the chamfer to the extents of where the mask was applied at the muzzle face.
2) Someone chamfered the end of the barrel to clean something up.  The silver seen here would be bright base metal (steel).

I was leaning 100% towards GG's thoughts initially, but looking at it more closely I guess it *could* be chrome.  The thing that's throwing me off is the dull bluing at the tip of the barrel, almost looks like paint.  From the linked post, it sure looks like that barreled action was certainly stripped and reblued with the typical washed out looking light grey bluing resulting everywhere else on the barrel.  Maybe it was a BBQ refurb that someone stripped for some reason?

Additionally, if it was a chamfer breaking through to the base metal, you'd expect this unprotected area to start oxidizing pretty quickly, but the photo shows a fairly bright surface.

I pulled a select few muzzle shots of various carbines in the database.  I think w/o seeing inside the bore, it's tough to near-impossible to really tell from a single photo what is going on with respect to any chrome plating.

Bright muzzle all the way across the face with a bright chamfer off a pristine as-issued '55:

I would call this one 'counterbored', off a light refurb '54, note the light oxidation:

Heavy chamfer with fully blued face off a pristine as-issued '54 carbine:

No chamfer but bluing worn off at the muzzle and oxidation you'd expect to start seeing as a result off a light refurb '51:

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 01:42:12 PM »
My initial reaction was the same as yours GG.

However, like rm, I was also thrown off by the concentric dark and chrome-ish circles at the muzzle crown.

After looking at it more, I think GG is onto something. The action has a very dull appearance (kind of like parkerizing-lite). It looks like muzzle got painted with everything else at refurb, and then the crown was cleaned up.

The mismatched font on the early trigger is also perplexing-- i.e. why rebuild with a type1 trigger body instead of updating? I guess that this is not that big of a mystery though, as it may have been what was available.

I'm actually more curious about the magazine. It's appears to be late design (post 52) because of the follower channel, but the serial appears to be  an exact match to the receiver and dated cover.  think1

Regardless, a very Cool rifle.  The owner picked it up for a great price too.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 02:35:01 PM »
I cant imagen anyone altering that lining and then take a detailed picture . But you never know Besplode. I say factory .  I need you guys on site when I buy guns.  :-*   thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 02:55:36 PM »
The main thing I was seeing is the appearance of what you might get when a drill bit is bouncing and the rough cuts that follow. Chrome lined or not, it looks very crude in finish and not consistent (symmetric) in the circle as concerns the muzzle/crown.
Being one who has finished and cleaned up quite a few muzzles as well as cut/crowned muzzles by hand I can say, that has every bit the appearance of a crappy clean up job on the crown after the fact. I couldn't find pics of more recent jobs because I don't save newer stuff like I used to, but this one below is from 2020 and one of my project threads. I think it looks a little better than the OP's pic. At least it's concentric to the barrel, lol.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Mike4MSU

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 08:02:41 PM »
@Boris Badinov thanks for posting the picture and link. Sounds like there is still debate about whether the barrel is chrome lined or not. Not sure if any other photos would help or not.

I remain very pleased with the rifle overall. I know it is refurbished, but it appears to be a time capsule since. Regarding the finish overall and the discussion about a “painted” or “dull” barrel. It is what I would describe as a “rough” parkerized finish. It’s not paint, but it’s not bluing. It definitely provides an anti-reflective, matte finish.

Any other thoughts or comments regarding the rifle, condition, or unique features welcome.

Regards,
Mike

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 11:39:14 PM »
Mike4MSU it is common for what is termed 'heavy refurbs' to be coated with what is commonly called BBQ paint or finish. Not sure exactly what it is, but all Russian SKSs are either blued or 'BBQ finished' accordingly. I imagine the BBQ is what you have. The actual year of the barrel production would determine whether it is chrome lined or not.

Regardless, welcome to the files. Glad to see you here.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 12:40:18 AM »
@Boris Badinov thanks for posting the picture and link. Sounds like there is still debate about whether the barrel is chrome lined or not. Not sure if any other photos would help or not.

I remain very pleased with the rifle overall. I know it is refurbished, but it appears to be a time capsule since. Regarding the finish overall and the discussion about a “painted” or “dull” barrel. It is what I would describe as a “rough” parkerized finish. It’s not paint, but it’s not bluing. It definitely provides an anti-reflective, matte finish.

Any other thoughts or comments regarding the rifle, condition, or unique features welcome.

Regards,
Mike

Ah. You joined up.

I'm comfortable saying that it is not a chrome lined barrel. There simply isn't any concrete evidence that the Soviets replaced non-chrome barrels. 

Without exception-- so far -- 1949 to early 1952 rifles all have non-chrome bores.

Do you have any quality photos of the bore with a bore light?

Regardless-- you got a great rifle for a great price. 

Welcome to the files!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 05:11:53 AM »
It looks like a non-chrome-plated bore to me. Rough grinding marks, rough border on the bare metal, dark black bore below the crown, although that could be heavy carbon build up.

If it shoots poorly after the bore is cleaned that’d be a candidate for a bit of inner crown polishing with a round head brass screw chucked into a drill with some Fitz or similar polishing compound. I tend to be in the “if it works don’t fix it” school of thought, but if it groups poorly I wouldn’t hesitate to polish it.

Offline Mike4MSU

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 10:29:37 AM »
Truly appreciate everyone’s help, info and comments. I did my best to take various angles, photos and brightness of the bore.

BTW, my range doesn’t go past 100 yards. Once I realized it was shooting a little high I adjusted and was ringing steel consistently at 100 yards. Didn’t disrupt everyone’s fun to throw a target up and see how tight the groups were. Could have been the ammo. First time using CFE BLK for reloading and started on the low end of range.

Mike

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 10:45:32 AM by Mike4MSU »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 08:36:22 PM »
Nice sharp lands/grooves  thumb1 They do not look chrome plated. Glad to hear it shoots well. I’d leave the crown alone in that case.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2023, 10:37:17 AM »
I agree with P32, looks like an unplated barrel.  Plenty of life left in that old warhorse though. Shoot and enjoy!  thumb1