Author Topic: Random screw size question  (Read 1297 times)

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
Random screw size question
« on: April 21, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
Morning all.....I was curious if anyone knows what size screw is used in the heavy duty version of the fiberglass stock butt plate? This one has small metal threaded inserts and came without the plate or screws. The plate apparently isn't standard size either and appears to be 1/4 inch overal wider. I don't suppose anyone has an extra one?? Lol.......Pat

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Random screw size question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:22:20 PM »
That plate just tripled in price Pat!  rofl

No idea on the size and I don't have a fiberglass stock in my collection to check.  I'd assume it's a standard metric thread though. The screw should be pretty easy to find once you know the diameter. From there you'd just have to find the pitch and there are only a few of those that are standard for each diameter.  That plate is going to be a fun one. Good luck with it!  thumb1

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Random screw size question
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 08:24:17 AM »
Anyone ever try to shorten a cleaning rod and rethread?
The thread/pitch is a non SAE/Metric system...I don't recall what it was called, but you won't find the correct dies at the local Harbor Freight for sure. You can get close enough to kind of use the tools in the cleaning kit, but not...really...right. (Looking into this, it may be the Whitworth system?)

I don't think they ever diverted from this...at least as far as cleaning rods. It may be that they adhered to this system through the manufacture of the 'jungle' stocks. I suspect that the weird nature of the threads on the wood screws for buttplates and swivels may be the result of the same archaic threading rsystem...but in wood screw vs. machine screw form.

The correct threading somehow...miraculously is duplicated on NC Star cleaning rods...in one way, they actually got something right...despite the heads being a separate pressure fit piece rather than it being a solid one piece rod. Other replacement rods I have seen available are threaded to 8/32nds...and you have to use standard modern cleaning brushes with them....the ones in the actual kits won't work.

It may be that the bolts you are looking for might have to be sourced from a foreign fastener supplier. You may need to hunt down the 'feeler gauge' to find the correct pattern...although I don't know if they have something akin to that to figure out from a threaded hole what it is...I have only seen the kind that come with tap/die sets that you check the fastener with...not the hole itself.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:30:21 AM by Justin Hell »