Author Topic: Hammer Spring Replacement  (Read 4890 times)

Offline culpeper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Hammer Spring Replacement
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:02:29 PM »
I changed out the original hammer spring with a Wolff/Murray 31 lb. one.  Looked easy on YouTube.  I will NEVER do that again.  That was a test of patience.  All those pushups, 15% incline, and pull ups finally paid off :)  I ended up using a needle vice grip, a regular vice grip, screw driver, rubber mallet and a bench vice.  It wasn't anything like on YouTube ones.  Those must be loose Chinese trigger groups.  The Yugo was anything but loose.

Everything was fine until I altered the sear.  That improved the trigger creep and pull but increased the hammer strength on the firing pin.   The last shot of the day popped a primer, and smoked the firing pin spring.  I had been looking at the primers all along and could tell it was hitting harder because I kept some cases from before I made the sear alteration and was able to compare.  On the fiftieth round of of the day (Golden Tiger) the primer smoked out.  Anyway, I ended up getting a new sear, reduced power sear spring, and lighter hammer spring from Murray and now I'm just glad that is over.  As a result, I ended up with a smoother trigger but really if it is not broke don't mess with it to begin with.  BTW, I won't be offering this service even for free :).

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:06:32 PM by culpeper »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Hammer Spring Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 01:27:08 AM »
Thanks for the write up culpeper, I know what not to ever tackle with our SKS carbines!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »
Lol... Glad you got it working again.  Usually the biggest issue most overlooked is the FP hole being valcanoed. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline culpeper

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 10:45:41 PM »
Thanks.  I did check the FP hole when I first got it and after the popped primer incident.  Looks good.  What I did was this...

When all I really needed to do was replace the sear, reduced sear spring, and lighter hammer spring.  These are available from Murray's and will improve the creepy military feel and lighten up the blow to the hammer.  Especially, if using the spring firing pin.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »
10/4...   good products

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 08:10:38 AM »
learned the hard way too, if it ain't broke I don't touch.  :o
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!