Author Topic: My Yugo SKS and numbers on it  (Read 6237 times)

Offline culpeper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
My Yugo SKS and numbers on it
« on: January 12, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »
There is the serial number and an additional engraved number on the parts that match the stamped barrel number.  This appears to be an overhauled rifle?  Not pictured but even the front sight blade has the number engraved underneath it. I've got pictures of inside the bore as well before cleaning with a patch or brush.  I only flushed out the bore with brake cleaner to get the grease out.

SKS Rifle and Part Numbers

https://plus.google.com/photos/117987241648292579800/albums/6235034923778032209

SKS Bore

https://plus.google.com/photos/117987241648292579800/albums/6234988200239302801

The stock has typical garrison dents and dings but the width at the fore end screw and the butt measure like an overhauled rifle as decribed in the log book sticky thread.  This rifle came with no log book. 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:58:04 PM by culpeper »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: My Yugo SKS and numbers on it
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:57:29 PM »
Looks like a beauty!  thumb1

Any "1.TRZ" or similar "TR_" marks anywhere? They typically show up on the right side of the buttstock.

The Yugoslavian rifles have serial numbers, "assembly" numbers (the barrel number and matching), and "parts" (or lot) numbers on the various, uh, parts. I have a few of these Yugoslavian SKSs, but that doesn't qualify me as an expert, so others may add or gently  bat1 correct my descriptions   :))

Offline culpeper

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:33 PM »
There is a small square stamp just forward of the rear swivel on the stock.  Looks like a couple of numbers in the square.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:05:58 PM »
Phos is being modest.   :))

The #s matching the barrel lug are assembly #s that indicate some level of keepng fitted parts together during the assembly process prior to being serialized.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline culpeper

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:07:35 PM »
Thanks. The little square on the stock appears to be "BK" and there is the "2" behind the trigger guard.  The bluing on the barrel is pristine and different from the receiver and housing.  I'm hoping this is a replacement barrel  read1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 09:19:33 PM »
Thanks. The little square on the stock appears to be "BK" and there is the "2" behind the trigger guard.  The bluing on the barrel is pristine and different from the receiver and housing.  I'm hoping this is a replacement barrel  read1
You're correct. The BK is Cyrillic and is an abbreviation for војна контрола or Military Control. A standard mark on military small arms of Yugoslavia, including Mausers and SKSs, and it's not an indicator of refurbishment. 

Offline culpeper

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
Thanks.  It is still a good barrel.  I've been looking at some better pics of the bore and the lands and grooves don't have typical wear that I can see.  I've got some Golden Tiger ammo.  I'll take it out this weekend  with an x39 target and sight tool and see what we got.  The scribe marks are aligned on the front sight.  It has been zeroed at least once.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:33:35 PM »
Its likely good to go.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline culpeper

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »
In the meantime, I found the "TK".  It is in the groove on the underside of the rear sight blade.  The barrel number is also under there.  TK is also found on the gas piston and "FTX" in large letters engraved on the underside of the gas tube;.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:52:30 PM by culpeper »