Author Topic: SKS Extractor Spring help  (Read 18268 times)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: SKS Extractor Spring help
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
Brian how is the extractor spring situation working out?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
I dropped the ball on my end Danny.  I had hoped to get one to Brian before he got his 'official' replacement from Omega, but I doubt that's going to happen.  I've got the order from McMaster sitting in my cart, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet as I'm also getting another bunch of parts for setting up a quick connect BBQ and hot plate setup on my RV, but I don't have all those parts fully ID'd yet.  I'll place my order soon though! 

I suspect the replacement springs are going to work out just fine.  Spring constant is about 40% lower than the original (though it is the highest I could find for a spring that small), and the replacement is single wound instead of double wound.  I suspect this might give us fatigue issues, but we won't know until they get used.  If they work well in my gun, I'll send one out to anyone who wants one to test out when they come in and we'll get lots of data points and see how they run.  thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 07:00:50 PM »
I dropped the ball on my end Danny.  I had hoped to get one to Brian before he got his 'official' replacement from Omega, but I doubt that's going to happen.  I've got the order from McMaster sitting in my cart, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet as I'm also getting another bunch of parts for setting up a quick connect BBQ and hot plate setup on my RV, but I don't have all those parts fully ID'd yet.  I'll place my order soon though! 

I suspect the replacement springs are going to work out just fine.  Spring constant is about 40% lower than the original (though it is the highest I could find for a spring that small), and the replacement is single wound instead of double wound.  I suspect this might give us fatigue issues, but we won't know until they get used.  If they work well in my gun, I'll send one out to anyone who wants one to test out when they come in and we'll get lots of data points and see how they run.  thumb1

Thanks running-man, I'll participate in that test run.

Changing gears here, what would be the chance of us seeing some photos of the BBQ/Hot plate set up you're working on once you get it up and running?

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »
Just an FYI, I ordered a couple of the extractor springs from Omega, sent my order and check on 11/7, and while I was out of town the springs showed up on 11/18. Pretty decent turn around from a mail in check type of order.

Offline Murray

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Newber
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2015, 11:47:27 AM »
JFYI, (in case anyone hadn't heard) we have them in stock now. $4.50 + $2.00 shppg

Problem with finding replacements in the hardware store is everything in the store is "fractional" and all SKS parts are "metric."