Author Topic: SKS Extractor Spring help  (Read 18270 times)

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: SKS Extractor Spring help
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 05:13:06 PM »
Thanks Danny, probably wouldn't hurt to have one of those kits on hand, but like you mentioned I don't see the extractor spring listed. I might just tear my garage apart tonight in the general direction the spring went.  :o

Novel idea, I did that once or twice :o, rofl rofl2 chuckles1 found all kinds of goodies, spares, . I found my chainsaw and even had a Cummins cylinder head core buried out there.  rofl

My fear is it went behind, on, in the woodpile...

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 05:26:58 PM »
(Note to self)

Thoroughly check every single sping in the rifle I received from Worm..
Funny you mention this... it was the rifle I bought from Worm... was cleaning her before I put her in her new stock.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 05:34:35 PM »
Oh.. snap.

Then dont worry about it..  thing prolly came out of a ballpoint pen anyway.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
I barely even fondled that ghosty bush  ;)

A spring is a spring is a spring.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 08:16:45 PM »
Thanks Danny, probably wouldn't hurt to have one of those kits on hand, but like you mentioned I don't see the extractor spring listed. I might just tear my garage apart tonight in the general direction the spring went.  :o

Novel idea, I did that once or twice :o, rofl rofl2 chuckles1 found all kinds of goodies, spares, . I found my chainsaw and even had a Cummins cylinder head core buried out there.  rofl

My fear is it went behind, on, in the woodpile...

Oh wow, talk about finding a needle in a haystack!!! You have the Luck of the Irish Brian!

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
Well maybe I'm just old and trifling. chuckles1 I'd wait till either I burned through all the wood, or one day if I felt I had absolutely nothing else to do, it's cold and snowy outside, wife/kids on my nerves, I just gotta get outta the house, go out in the garage and mix up some hot toddies while listening to Katy Perry :P and just move the pile and find my fricken spring. By that point, it's become a matter of principal  rofl rofl2 chuckles1

Cause, I know deep down, in my cold black heart, that little bastard spring ain't gonna grow legs and run out the door into the wild blue yonder screaming "I'm free"..  chuckles1 rofl2 rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »
Greasemonkey if I did a search for that spring, it would be underneath the stick of wood located in the center of the bottom of the pile.

Well all jokes aside I'm glad we all found this out now and maybe running-man can find an alternate that might work if this happens to any of us again. We might end up like George Custer  :o

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »
Haha I'll just check, shake each piece of wood as it goes in the stove. Maybe by February or March I'll find that damn spring.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
I sure hate this happened to you Brian, if I had another one I would get it in the mail to you in the morning.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
Thanks Danny, it's just one of those things.  Not a big deal just a PITA. 

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »
Just found this Brian about two thirds of the way down the page for $6. I know nothing about these people though or how much shipping would be.

http://www.sksman.com/part/parts1.php

Shipping is $5.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:18:48 PM by Dannyboy53 »

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 09:53:03 AM »
Just found this Brian about two thirds of the way down the page for $6. I know nothing about these people though or how much shipping would be.

http://www.sksman.com/part/parts1.php

Shipping is $5.

Thanks Danny, for another site to order one. I have found a couple, but have a hard time spending $10+ for a tiny little spring. I did order a couple from Omega for $7 shipped,  so those will be on there way strapped to a snail from AZ. I have a couple other SKS's I can pull a spring from to shoot this ghost if I get impatient.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »
Well I'm glad to hear you got a replacement on the way. At least we found some sources for more if any of us need another.

Wanna know my kind of luck? This afternoon you'll walk in the shop, happen to look down and see your old spring rofl

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »
This weekend I plan to run this magnet on a stick I have over/under/on the wood pile and see if I come up with anything. I am sure it will turn up sometime.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 12:36:44 PM »
Good idea Brian, wish you luck with it.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 07:01:22 PM »
Late to the game here on this spring fix, but just for future reference; Most local Hardware stores(my ACE hardware is real good for this) carry a fairly large assortment of springs. I've had success on three occasions when repairing firearms taking a bad spring to the store and finding a replacement.
They also usually have screws that most big box stores don't. Only screws I haven't been able to find have been you #4-48 and #6-40 scope mount screws. Those are pretty much gunsmith specific and are had from the likes of Brownell's.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »
GG, thanks for the suggestion.  Worm had mentioned that earlier,  and I actually planned on taking an extractor spring from another sks down to my local Ace tomorrow morning. I have one 8 blocks from my house and have had pretty good luck finding odd stuff there. I will report my findings. Welcome to the files, glad to have you here. Great bunch of guys.
Brian

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2014, 01:05:25 AM »
You're welcome, I tried to read all the posts first so as not to be redundant, but must have missed his. Oh well guess it's another case of 'it's the thought that counts' lol.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »
Dug through a couple hundred springs at my local Ace this morning and no luck finding an extractor spring. The smallest diameter they had was 5/32 which wouldn't slide into the extractor. 

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2014, 02:29:41 PM »
Well that stinks. At least you know you have a couple on the way from an, albeit slow, but reliable source.