Author Topic: Terminology discussion  (Read 17653 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Terminology discussion
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
What he said.   thumb1

Dont get any more simple then that.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 10:37:12 AM »
Resurrecting an older topic cuz I've been at this long enough now to have an opinion...

I agree with RM's last post, but would add that an SKS offered for civilian sale that cannot be placed back into military service without alteration should be considered a commercialized carbine.  But, if it can be taken from a civilian's collection and placed directly into military service, then it should be considered a milsurp.

I do not feel that simply scrubbing the gun or changing SNs constitutes altering it from its original military purpose.  However, doing so can make it much more difficult for collectors to determine its true pedigree...
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2016, 11:20:04 AM »
Great thing about sksfiles.....  opinions are allowed.    thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline rwhite135

• Liberty University Alum
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »
To me, the definitions are very simple....

Made to be issued to military or other government agency - surplus.

Made to be sold to civilian market - commercial.

It doesn't matter if it's a new production model, or a model rebuilt from a surplus gun. If it was made to be sold to the civilian market, it's a commercial gun.

This is my view, as well.  I will also add that adding an import mark, in order to comply with importation laws, does not make a surplus rifle a commercial one in my opinion. If original markings are scrubbed and replaced with a new serial number specifically for the civilian market, I see it as a commercial rifle at that point. This is why in the altered rifle subforum I say my son's bubba was made from a commercial rifle.  It has a 94 S/N with no military markings on the receiver. As the Chinese military was no longer using the SKS in 1994, there is ample evidence that it was intended for the commercial market where bubba got his hands on it.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »
We at sksfiles recognize the grey area and dont flame anyone over their interpretation of commercial/not commercial.   

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 10:35:10 PM »
To me, the definitions are very simple....

Made to be issued to military or other government agency - surplus.

Made to be sold to civilian market - commercial.

It doesn't matter if it's a new production model, or a model rebuilt from a surplus gun. If it was made to be sold to the civilian market, it's a commercial gun.

I have to agree with PS on this one, this sums it up nicely in my opinion.

I'm in this camp also, there is nothing complicated about this except what we might make of it. One can take a turd, dry it out, paint it, put cologne on it but it's still a turd.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »
Good input guys.  Glad to have you thinking things through like this.  thumb1

In the end, "commercial vs military" is really just a tool used by the collecting community to help sort/categorize things just a bit better.