Author Topic: Terminology discussion  (Read 17651 times)

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Terminology discussion
« on: February 22, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »
Ok, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and kick this can around the yard.. This is really long, caused a headache and I hate typing this much, especially on my day off.. :)

The terminology of commercial vs. surplus  :o  It's been a long standing argument, so lets hash it out, clear the air, it seems that this is a major thing relegated to the SKS side of collecting. I can't think of another collectible firearm where this is such an issue..

Disclaimer.....this is not intended for bubba rifle discussions, they are what they are, state side made variants. So...don't go there bat1
So, just say to yourself: Self, I will not discuss state side Crapco special bubba made rifles... thumb1

An actual military surplus weapon is, at least to me, one that maintains all original military parts, whether or not it's refurbed, it's form, it's function are as the day it were built, in other words, they pulled it from the storage crate, rack what have you and put it in the box and sold it to me through an import vendor. If you hopped in a time machine and went back in time, you would see this exact weapon in use on the field or being put in it's storage rack, C&R weapons would be a prime example.

Now what deems a commercial, a sporter, civilian weapon, is it one built solely of once milspec parts for the sole purpose of selling to consumers, is it one thats purpose built to look and function like it's military counter part(within legal guidelines) or is it one built and altered to a newer different spec, maybe it's one that looks identical, dated from the same time frame, operates identical, but is just missing all the military acceptance stamps/marks/proofs. To me, it would also make sense, any weapon that had to be rebuilt, uses specialized parts not found on a equivalent milspec weapon or redesigned from a selectable full auto and converted to semiauto is a commercial weapon, why, because it is no longer original, it has a different receiver and firing group and/or other parts, off the top of my head, the Cetmes, the FN FALs, the UZIs, the Vz61s, the M31 Suomi, the AKMs, the RPKs, a Vz58, a M1927 Thompson, even the M-14 and M-16, and all the other cool weapons, all of them are basically commercial, built from receiverless parts kits on neutered altered modern day stamped/machined receivers. They have the look, the capacity, the feel, but lack the bite. A true blue bonafied surplus weapon of any one of those examples would run you a fortune and some paperwork.

Lets pick a random semiauto example.....the little 'ol M1 Carbine, this little venerable historical weapon has seen major world battles, conflicts, stood guard while we slept and has also been commercialized almost like the SKS. Caliber/manufacture/origin/history aside, the M1 Carbine, like the SKS, parts are plentiful, the weapons are common, and aftermarket stuffs are usually easily found. Now, what separates one from M1 Carbine from the other,  well naturally you have the tried and true USGI models, the National Postal Meters, I.B.M.s, Rockolas, Saginaws, etc, but then you have the early Universal and Plainfields built of USGI parts, then later, they were made of all new parts by a huge number of manufactures, rebarrled, recalibered, scoped and altered from the original design, available overall in many different variants.

So lets compare the two...maybe simplify things,

How would I do it, how would GM's feeble mind lump these two different weapon systems into equal categories....
Well, a "SURPLUS" USGI M1 Carbine would rate with the SovietSinos, SinoSoviets, Ghosts, Letter, Middle Eastern, Bring Backs, SinoBanian, Romanian, Yugo M59, Chinese/NVA, Polish, East Germany, Russian or any that were pretty much following the original as designed SKS45 form. Like the M1 Carbine, the SKS saw slight improvements, bayonets changed, stocks, little changes here and there, but the general form was still there. It's still the way it was built and designed, maybe it saw refurb, restock, rebarrel, but, it still holds to the general military spec Simonov SKS45 design. Regardless of lug design, bayonet design, lightened bolt and carrier, it's still a Type 56 SKS, just like it's a USGI M1 Carbine.

I think I would stick the long barrel Yugo, the Albanian, Chrome Chinese/Yugo Honor Guards, the M59/66 and M59/66a1, the North Korean, yes, while they are not holding strictly to Simonov's plan, just hear me out on these.... These were purely military grade and designed, they saw use in conflicts and use in their respective military. They were military designed individually to suit one's particular military needs at the time, I offer the M2 Carbine and/or the M3, they both were military designed and produced, but they are altered M1 Carbines to suit the needs of our military and make a fair comparison for these SKS models. Point is, these SKSs were not rebuilt or purpose built just for the sake of resale, to meet ever more stringent import laws or to entice sales with larger mags, shorter barrels, thumbhole stocks etc.

The early Universals and Plainsfield M1 USGI parts Carbines, these were "commercial" built from surplus parts to make complete carbines.... I guess I would lump the later rifles and post ban rifles in, bayonet lugs chopped, riveted, brought in with no bayonets, the later kind of crude built, rush for import, make that quota, satisfy demand, the stamped SKSs or any still "close" in original military spec or form, but just ever so slightly different than the original SKS45 build spec.
Like this group of M1 Carbines, these SKSs deviate just a hair in some form or another, these are what I'd call, I don't know, maybe the limbo rifles, grey area or semi-surplus, they fit somewhere between the true blue surplus and true blue commercial, some more one way than another. Like these "almost" USGI Carbines, maybe, they are almost true military SKSs, but something, some detail or part is ever so slightly different from the original SKS45 design. Usually like this group of M1 Carbines, the SKS, most all parts are usually easily swappable between the this variant and the true military variant above.

Now, the commercial Auto Ordnance, Chiappa, ERMA-Werke, Iver Johnson, Global Arms, Rock Island Armory, Howa, and on and on M1 Carbines etc, to me, these would constitute the Ds, the Ms, the Para, the Type 84s, the Cowboy Companions, SKS Sporters, even the Bosnian made G10 variant, and all the others. Like this group of M1 Carbines, these SKSs still have the basic functionality and almost the same looks, they are just majorly altered in some form or another from the original basic SKS design. Maybe, if your lucky, a very small handful of USGI parts fit these commercial M1 Carbines, just like maybe a handful of SKS parts fit these variants. And in both systems, some are highly collectible, expensive, rare, while some are not.

Now whether or not they were built as a regular Type 56 SKS and torn down, butchered and modified, or just purpose built in this form, shouldn't have any bearing. Sure, it may have milspec internals, but how many SKSs built use totally all new, modern day bits in them, so this is a given. Too me, it's the now thats important, not the past, the then or it once was is just subjective to the individual person. But, regardless of what it once was, it is "now" a sporter commercial rifle, altered and changed from it's original military SKS45 design, it's just that, it now just does not adhere to Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov's design, like a majority of these commercial M1 Carbines usually don't adhere to the U.S. Military design. It's has basically became a hybrid SKS, it works kind of the same, looks kind of the same, but in the end.... it's not really, the same.

It kind of repeats it's self in other weapons, oh.......like the Enfield, take a Santa Fe Mk5 Jungle Carbine, while it's almost identical looking and every bit equal in operation and in recoil to a BSA Shirley or ROF Fazakerley, but, this No5 Enfield will never will be a true military rifle in the true sense of the word, it's a commercial copy, derived from what was once a "once military" grade SMLE Mk III or a Lee–Enfield No. 4, it's just chopped, butchered, fluffed and buffed, it's been commercialized and ergo..it is now a commercial rifle, a replica, if you will.
Or take the M-14, the original had a fire selector switch, sure, the early ones were built of USGI parts, but like the built from a kit rifles above, had a semiauto receiver, the automatic fire/select fire receiver was a no no per the ATF, so it was a commercial variant, a kit, because a normal working class citizen possibly couldn't afford a true select fire M-14, now today, it's sold simply as a M1A Springfield. Another variant, the old PolyTech M-14 is a commercial weapon, sure, if your lucky, maybe some USGI parts will fit, but a handful of USGI parts doesn't constitute a true Polytech USGI M-14.

Lugers, Mausers and C-96 Broomhandles were also commercially made, while side by side visually identical to their military counterparts, the only thing that separated them is the missing stampings, acceptance marks, or waffenampts, or even just serial ranges, but, in the end...... they are still.....commercial made weapons.

So...... that is GM's take, Jimmy is now highly restless and I'm sick of typing, maybe I'm just totally wrong on the subject, so, you all discuss it, and I'll just read.  chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Terminology discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
In 1981 the T81 was being mass produced and the T56 fully withdrawn from service by 1983/84 erra.  I reiterate this because in reality, ALL chinese having a serial number dating post 1981 did not have a military future and were intended for the commercial market.

That being said.... There are pre 1981 guns that were scrubbed and latter dated at the time of rebuild, but these would also be commercial guns because they were completely overhauled and reserialized for one purpose..... The commercial market.   thumb1

And then we have pre 1981 guns that were not scrubbed and reserialized, but were moderately to heavily modified for the commercial market... So they are obviously a commercial.

Lastly, there are commercial guns in which were built new from NOS parts for the commercial market... Obviously a commercial gun. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:04:52 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
  • The Canadian Contingent
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »
Here in Canada there is much confusion at times on individual levels on what constitutes commercial vs military grade.

We have commercial sks like the sks-D and the sks-M. Those are simple.

Then we have the standard factory marked military grade chinese sks. Again, pretty simple.

Then we have military grade barreled receivers with fairly blonde un-numbered stocks that to me appear simply to be refurbed / restocked military guns done before they were shipped over. Many call these commercial, but I think refurb is more appropriate.

And then again we have what appear to be all military grade sks that have come over, but have been scrubbed of military markings. These have been coined "clamdestine", but have no evidence of covert intentions. These appear more likely to be military guns sanitized for civilian sale.

To add more confusion, some people will call anything with "made in china" or a pinned barrel as commercial without kk owing anything more about the gun. Not an accurate appraisal, but it happens.

So military,  commercial, military sanitized and military refurbished seem pretty common up here.

The Yugos we get are all surplus. The russians are also surplus, but we do have some molots which are surplus rebranded as civilian export.
RUSSIA SKS45: Tula 49, 50, 51 x2, 53 x2, 54, 57(И); Izhevsk 53, 54
POLAND SKS45: "W.P." Marked Tula 52
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78
CHINA Civilian: SKS-D (XZ), "SKS-D", Cdn Para x2
N. KOREA: T63
YUGO PAP M59: 66 C-Series x2; PAP M59/66a1: 73 J, 83 T
ALBANIA 561: 78

Searching: Romanian, German, Vietnamese, IC, and the rest...

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 07:23:01 PM »
To me, the definitions are very simple....

Made to be issued to military or other government agency - surplus.

Made to be sold to civilian market - commercial.

It doesn't matter if it's a new production model, or a model rebuilt from a surplus gun. If it was made to be sold to the civilian market, it's a commercial gun.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 07:26:32 PM »
So if a gun was made to be issued, never was, but was scrubbed and then sold to the civilian market... what is it?

It wasn't built for the civilian market, but was altered to be sold to the civilian market. At what point does the line get drawn behind the intent?  What the intent is at time of assembly?  Or what the intent was when it left the arsenal floor?
CHINA TYPE 56 CARBINE: /26\ 60 "S", 61, 64, 65, 66, 79; /UK5?\ 69; /256\ 70; /316\ 70; [0138] Stamped Receiver 70 x2; /306\ 71; /416\ 公安 73; /0412\ 78

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »
So if a gun was made to be issued, never was, but was scrubbed and then sold to the civilian market... what is it?

It wasn't built for the civilian market, but was altered to be sold to the civilian market. At what point does the line get drawn behind the intent?  What the intent is at time of assembly?  Or what the intent was when it left the arsenal floor?

If it was made to be a military issue gun...it's a surplus gun. It doesn't matter if it was used or not. And how does one know if it was ever issued?

Plus, they don't often scrub guns unless they are making it into something else. There's no reason to scrub a functional surplus gun. They just get shipped over here as is.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:39:51 PM »
To me, its in regards to the state its currently in and last was in China.   Like PS says, it simple.  If it was altered in any way for the commercial market... Its a commercial gun. 

Would you call a bubba 'as original' because of what it 'used' to be?  Not hardly.

I see a common 'brainchild' on another board posting some extremely stupid statements like.. 

All conversions "what you call commercial" were recreated from original type 56 sks

Ummmm yeah, NO!    There ARE sks rifles that were built NEW specifically for the US market.... NEVER WERE THEY A MILITARY GUN IN A PRE EXISTING LIFE.  And as I stated above, much of this designation should depent on WHEN the gun was made which WE ARE ABLE TO DETERMINE through many contributors efforts here on SKSFILES.COM

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
Like I mentioned, we have a whole series of sks rifles up here that have all the features of a mid range military sks. The only difference is the serial numbers were scrubbed in china, and 01-##### serial numbers were added. No arsenal, no made in China.

I've got a Chinese letter gun with a new stock, and a 10m /26\ with the same stock. Appear more refurbed than civilian made.

Neither I'd consider civilian. But they have for sure been reqorked for civilian sale.

I think that these are the types of guns that cause confusion though. Obviously not commercial like an sks-d, but no longer military market intentions either.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 07:45:30 PM »
A simple refurb or stock replacement etc is one thing.... Something done in regular maintenance within military service anyhow.

The only difference is the serial numbers were scrubbed in china, and 01-##### serial numbers were added. No arsenal,

Now that ∆∆∆ is where I draw the line.... It was completely redesignated with a NEW serial number AND reworked for one purpose... Commercial market.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 07:47:24 PM »
We have an intestine legal situation in Canada when it comes to legal classifications of guns. Might be an interesting comparison. 

If a gun is full auto, it is prohibited.

A gun that was full auto, but converted to semi only,  is prohibited as a converted auto. You lucky yanks get off easy on that one.

Now, if an arsenal makes a receiver that was intended to be a full auto gun, and then alter it to semi auto, without ever having assembled it into a functioning full auto gun, it is still considered a converted auto because of the initial intent behind its start of manufacture.

That may be the kind of thinking displayed by that other board. That all sks parts were made with the intent to be assembled into military guns, but then plans changed at some point either before assembly, during or after assembly before it left the arsenal, and off to commercial shelves it went.

If I bought a gun that was built,  stored in cosmoline but never left the shop, and that gun eventually got sold as commercial, would it be? Or if it had been shipped to a military warehouse and then sold as surplus, would it be a military gun?  In both cases, the only difference is where it last resided.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 07:50:45 PM »
A simple refurb or stock replacement etc is one thing.... Something done in regular maintenance within military service anyhow.

The only difference is the serial numbers were scrubbed in china, and 01-##### serial numbers were added. No arsenal,

Now that ∆∆∆ is where I draw the line.... It was completely redesignated with a NEW serial number AND reworked for one purpose... Commercial market.

For me it would still be military surplus. Especially if the features put it to a certain time frame that show it had a military intent.

Would a molot Russian be a commercial rifle because they added laser etching to get past legal issues in Russian for export?

Still surplus, just being altered to get it out of the country. But no different than surplus coming from Poland or the Ukraine.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 07:51:35 PM »
If I bought a gun that was built,  stored in cosmoline but never left the shop, and that gun eventually got sold as commercial, would it be? Or if it had been shipped to a military warehouse and then sold as surplus, would it be a military gun?

Both would be military surplus and not commercial....

I would hate to base this debate based on the CA gov interpretations.   :-\

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 07:56:05 PM »
Would a molot Russian be a commercial rifle because they added laser etching to get past legal issues in Russian for export?

Still surplus, just being altered to get it out of the country. But no different than surplus coming from Poland or the Ukraine.

No...  Your comparing apples to oranges.  Etching something per gov regulations such as an imlort mark etc does not make it a commercial gun.... Thats crazy talk. That's just a weeee bit different then being completely rebuilt from misc parts and entirely scrubbed of its previous identity for the sole purpose of resale to the commercial market.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »
The scrubbed guns imho are the only debatable equation...

The other two categories include being made NEW from nos, and being heavily altered from their original configuration..... For commercial sale.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 08:16:35 PM »

No...  Your comparing apples to oranges.  Etching something per gov regulations such as an imlort mark etc does not make it a commercial gun.... Thats crazy talk. That's just a weeee bit different then being completely rebuilt from misc parts and entirely scrubbed of its previous identity for the sole purpose of resale to the commercial market.

I'm not talking rebuilt. I'm talking built, then scrubbed. Instead of adding info, they altered info.

Both guns made for military use,  but altered for commercial sale after being made.

I think the apples and oranges is right, but then someone throws in a nectarine.

I blame Jimmy.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
If I bought a gun that was built,  stored in cosmoline but never left the shop, and that gun eventually got sold as commercial, would it be? Or if it had been shipped to a military warehouse and then sold as surplus, would it be a military gun?

Both would be military surplus and not commercial....

I would hate to base this debate based on the CA gov interpretations.   :-\

Me too. Damn gun grabbers.

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 08:17:56 PM »
Notice how that greasy monkey is just sitting back watching the world burn.

Damn you monkey.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 09:07:06 PM »
Notice how that greasy monkey is just sitting back watching the world burn.

Damn you monkey.

:)  burn...baby burn  fart1

I've seen so much on the subject, this is that, that is this, the proverbial, I've collected SKSs since I picked the first one off the assembly line, this is what I say it is, the world is flat, the sun revolves around the Earth, waters wet, the sky is blue, bla bla, bork buzz, yadda yadda.. When is enough, enough. I just opened the door for discussion among like minded individuals, and as such, let them discuss it openly in a non-authoritarian non-threating manner.  Now granted, I posted my "opinion" above, and like bungholes, everyone has one, it was to stir creative thinking and and engage some friendly discussion. I can't in good faith speak to whats what, whats allowed in Canada, New York, Cali, what have you, my post above was just an overall synopsis of the SKS realm through my eyes.
Maybe at some point, hopefully we can "all" meaning "all collectors in general, both young and old" can actually come to an agreement, maybe end and dispel all of the old myths, half truths and false information that have run rampant over the years, get rid of all the arrogance and egos that exist and get to the real reason we all started this hobby or addiction in the first place.... The pursuit of history in your hands, the thought of owning Communist weapons from an era that not long ago existed. The joy of powder smells and targets full of holes..  Come on, everyone knows and enjoys those things, imagine knowing the hows, the whys, the whos and whats if everyone just sucked up their egos, put on their bigboy pants, got along and openly discussed these matters freely and without attitude and full on confrontation. thumb1

Geeze, after rereading that....Jimmy must be napping or.......wait, where is that little bastard  :o I better go find him... rofl2 rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline fenceline

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 09:14:09 PM »
I think the monkey is drunk. Jimmy spiked his drink.

Good points. But still drunk.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »
The altered from original configuration for export and the purpose built from nos parts are def commercial.  The only ones that in my opinion that can go either way depending on personal view is the scrubbed guns still in original configuration, having a new serial, but no longer having any arsenal stamp.

I think you guys can tell what catagory I would put them in.     :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:51:08 PM by Loose}{Cannon »