Author Topic: Pawn shop find question now with pics  (Read 8702 times)

Offline Marshall-law

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Pawn shop find question now with pics
« on: January 02, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »
I ran across a factory rectangle 0136 or 8, 24millon with the spike bayonet, blonde stock and good bluing. The problem is someone replaced the dust cover with one that has the scope mount built on it. All the other parts match including stock. It has a small monarch scope mounted on it. Asking 319.00. Should I rescue it or walk away. Thanks, Robert
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:56:32 PM by Marshall-law »

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Re: Pawn shop find question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »
well.... I have a pile ( yes a pile) of those various scope mounts I have chucked. Unless its something fairly rare I'm more inclined to walk these days, so I can have ALL matching. But...

Point out you'll have to get a replacement cover to get 'er original and you can allways sell the scope and mount to cover cost ( $10-20 for a replacement chinese receiver cover) and get it down to $300 or less OTD. In my area any SKS at that is good to go.

I've rescued some nice ones, where that's the only thing that's been changed.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
Bummer about the mismatch receiver cover.

$319 isn't bad, but like AH says, you can probably do better.  Toss out a $250 number at them, let them know it's simply never going to appreciate like a collectors piece because of the mismatch, and see what they say.  Maybe you & the shop can meet in the middle at $285 OTD or something.  Maybe you can negotiate for them to toss in 100 rounds of ammo or a 20 round Chinese star magazine or something else they have laying around. 

Pawn shops will most certainly negotiate, they probably acquired that gun for under $200 and it's not doing them any good sitting there unsold, especially during the slow weeks at the beginning of the year when people realize they spent too much during Christmas and they tighten their belts due to new years resolutions.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
Pretty much everything ^ they said...plus...

You can find blank receiver covers from time to time, although with the new imports they do go for a premium.  If the scope mount sucks, you could live with a mismatch until you locate one.  If it is that nice...in my area at least, you could add another hundred to the asking price.

I recently saw a blonde fully matching for $429 here.  ::)

Offline Marshall-law

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
Re: Pawn shop find question now with pics
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »
I got it for 300. It's more of a strawberry blonde stock. I'll post pic tonite. Cleaning kit was in the buttstock also.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:45:15 PM by Marshall-law »

Offline Marshall-law

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 06:55:37 PM »
here are some pic's.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »
Nice. Seems to have been well cared for. Congrats  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Marshall-law

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »
Thanks for they replies. I just could not pass it up.  Thanks Hippie, it is very clean.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 09:26:11 PM »
Yup...  lookin great.  You going to shoot it as-is or find a replacement cover?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 09:29:24 PM »
I gotta say, that is one of the nicest looking cleaning kits I have ever seen.  Are you sure Monk didn't own this?  chuckles1

Jokes aside, you scored a nice one there....good price too!

I also have one of those mounts, and of all of the ones I have used, it is the nicest to fit properly...and provides decent irons use as well.  If it fits, and the scope holds zero, hold out until you can find a blank cover.

(Really though, that is a nice cleaning kit!)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 12:45:58 AM »
Yup Marshall, I definitely agree with everybody's sentiments. You did well, very well.  Nice score!

Offline Marshall-law

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 09:56:19 AM »
I'll most likely shoot it with the scope some and try to find a blank cover.  Justin, the cleaning kit looks like its never been out of the stock. Any ideas on if this carbine is a pre-ban import or recent?

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »
I'll most likely shoot it with the scope some and try to find a blank cover.  Justin, the cleaning kit looks like its never been out of the stock. Any ideas on if this carbine is a pre-ban import or recent?
Yes, get that receiver cover scope mount thingy out of the way up front. Take it out a few times, cleaning in between trips, and then start your own pile.
Very nice, clean gun; I'd shoot the WHEEEEEEEEE out of it!  tommy1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 10:19:28 AM »
Definitely a pre '94 import with the poly import stamp. Likely a pre '89 with the intact bayo lug and the bayo installed, though that may have been replaced later. Someone took good care of that carbine. Too bad they didn't keep the original receiver cover with it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:24:57 AM by running-man »

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
It should be a requirement of Pawn Shop/Gun Shop sales that the shop be a mediator between private parties for situations such as this....you gotta think its probably pretty frequent that someone pawns/sells a gun with a scope mount/aftermarket mag and the original parts are sitting in a drawer somewhere at the PO's house.  banghead1

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »
It should be a requirement of Pawn Shop/Gun Shop sales that the shop be a mediator between private parties for situations such as this....you gotta think its probably pretty frequent that someone pawns/sells a gun with a scope mount/aftermarket mag and the original parts are sitting in a drawer somewhere at the PO's house.  banghead1

^^^^^^This right here.  thumb1 Problem is though...Most just don't share the same Love that we do and don't care. But...wouldn't hurt if they just started asking if there was any thing else that had come with the rifle.

I'd be willing to bet, that a few original covers for some of mine are within miles of my house...

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »

^^^^^^This right here.  thumb1 Problem is though...Most just don't share the same Love that we do and don't care. But...wouldn't hurt if they just started asking if there was any thing else that had come with the rifle.

I'd be willing to bet, that a few original covers for some of mine are within miles of my house...

That is the thing that keeps me going to local gun shows, just hoping that someone will have a bucket full of parts to my guns.  Last year I passed on a factory mag that very well could have been matching...$20 no less. I was looking for something else that day.... Wouldn't you know, that was the LAST SKS part I have seen in the last four shows.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 02:27:11 PM »
That's a real good looker Marshall-law, a beautiful ol girl in remarkable condition! I couldn't have passed that one up either.