General Milsurp Weapons > General C&R Information

Un-informed Question, Do I need a FFL03?

(1/4) > >>

likemeasks:
May be a dumb question but I need to know. I have come across a SKS at the local pawn shop that I believe is a former military issue. This one has a dark maple/coffee colored stock and the sling swivel is on the bottom. All externally numbers are matching. I can not find an Importer's marking anywhere on the carbine and I don't see NORINCO stamped anywhere either. It does have the spike bayonet and the Chinese 56 markings as well as the /26\ symbol. Seems to be in very good shape and no signs of Bubba having played with it. The shop says it was sold to them not brought in for loan collateral. They don't have any info on its background and say the former owner was approx. 30ish and said he had no need for it. I didn't want to show too much interest for fear that they may try to jack the price. Unfortunately for me I found this forum after the fact and don't remember any details of the serial number other than what I have already mentioned here. SO, better stated, my question is if this a mili. issue SKS and not a commercial carbine do I need a FFLO3 to legally own it?   

Greasemonkey:
No.. technically it's not a C&R.

The handy thing about having a C&R, is the benefits one who is buying C&R eligible arms across state lines and avoiding FFL transfer fees.. It ships to your home and you log it in your own log book. I've had one for a number of years.

As for having to have a C&R to own a C&R weapon.. no, many people own Garands, Luger's, Mausers and a multitude of others with no license. It's like any other weapon then.

likemeasks:
Thanks for the timely reply GM.

Loose}{Cannon:
Yeah, you don't need a 03 license to buy a gun. Having one basically just let's you have an 03 qualified gun shipped directly to you when buying online rather then going through an ffl holder. There are a few other perks, but thats the main function.   Its technically called a 'curio and relic ffl03'

The import mark 'could' be small and located out on the barrel.... Possibly even obstructed by the cleaning rod and bayo.

running-man:
Any chance you could get a photo of the left side of the receiver for the forum to look at?  Just by looking at that should give a decent idea of what you're looking at. 

Price wise, anything w/o papers that not's one of the big three should never go for a premium.  If it's a Chinese type 56 in great condition $400 would be the absolute top limit and $300 would be even better. 

Welcome to the boards!  thumb1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version