Author Topic: SKS rifles with AK-47 magazine capability  (Read 34627 times)

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
SKS rifles with AK-47 magazine capability
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »

The first SKS AK mag rifle imported into the USA is the SKS-30. 1988 was the year. Rifles are not stamped in any special way. All are new production

The Navy Arms Assault Carbine (Type 84) is the second SKS exported from China with AK mag capability. These rifles were modified from existing rifles. This rifle is the only import with the big three. AK mags, 16.5 inch barrel, and bayonet.

The Midwest Ordnance “SKS-D” conversion. All of these rifles were modified for AK mag use here in the USA.

The SKS 63 is the first AK mag SKS imported with a thumbhole stock. All were imported in 1988. Receivers are stamped 63. All are new production.

The pictured SKS Sporter is the final version of a series of SKSs imported between 1988 and 1993. Three versions have been seen. All Sporters were imported by one company. Labanu Inc. Ronkonkoma, NY. All are new production.

This guys and gals is an SKS M. M stands for Monte Carlo stock. All are new production.

The SKS MC-5D was made from existing rifles. This rifle is a conversion. It uses a standard style mag release and a completely neutered front sight block. You will be forgiven if you call this rifle an M. At least it has a Monte Carlo stock.

This rifle was imported by two companies. CSI and B-West. The CSI version is the SKS NR and the B-West version is the SKS 93.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:23:25 AM by running-man »
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Marksman
Re: SKS rifles with AK-47 magazine capability
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:51:49 AM »
You mean to tell me they aren't all "M's" and "D's"?!??!!!??????

chuckles1 chuckles1

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:12:43 AM »
Great post...beautiful pics.  Hopefully one day...some examples of these will be mine...but for now, drool1

Offline XXXSKS

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 02:00:13 AM »
Great post...beautiful pics.  Hopefully one day...some examples of these will be mine...but for now, drool1

You will get there someday

;)...................................Joe

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 02:28:36 AM »
Thanks sir, fascinating write-up and photos. I guess AK mag dependability is like any of the others...depends on which you buy?

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
I was at a local gun show this weekend, and came across a beat up SKS-M, the seller had it listed as an SKS-D for the low price of $800. After looking it over, I told the seller this is actually a M not a D, see right here stamped on the receiver. See it is a 16 inch barrel not a 20, monte carol stock, no bayonet,  etc. He says NO it is a D I bought it brand new back in the 90s. I asked if he had any room on the price, and he said $795, I said good luck with your sale.  thumb1

Offline XXXSKS

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »
I was at a local gun show this weekend, and came across a beat up SKS-M, the seller had it listed as an SKS-D for the low price of $800. After looking it over, I told the seller this is actually a M not a D, see right here stamped on the receiver. See it is a 16 inch barrel not a 20, monte carol stock, no bayonet,  etc. He says NO it is a D I bought it brand new back in the 90s. I asked if he had any room on the price, and he said $795, I said good luck with your sale.  thumb1

Well.........................................You know what they say about some old dogs

::)..........................................Joe

Offline edritchey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 05:51:18 PM »
Joe if you could only have one SKS that accepts AK mags which model would you choose?

Offline XXXSKS

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
Joe if you could only have one SKS that accepts AK mags which model would you choose?

D

:).............................Joe

Offline edritchey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
Thank's Joe - And the search for a "D" begins  :)

Offline XXXSKS

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 02:32:58 AM »
Updated Original post

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 03:48:32 AM »
Sorry if this is a dead thread, but  just found it after years of using the Weebly site.

Great and informative work, Joe!

I have a little gem for you,  Hope it gives you a tickle!

Its an M, but as you see the stock is very different in several ways from the standard Monte Carlo
style which the "M" was most noted for.

The high comb and double cheek pad, thin wrist with an actual "knob", and the sculpted and very wide fore end and little bump-up to the front ferrule set it apart.  Also the color, kind of a coffee brown,

Inside, the numbers match (1993 mfg), no-numbered TG, the gas tube has faint electro-pencilling,
and is a two-piece unit.  The op rod has a step-down at the tappet end, and the tube has a smaller opening than standard. 

The internal wood work is rougher than usual, as if the stock was a one-off and done partially by hand.  It has a lot of the standard inletting mill marks, also.

Whatcha think?  Interesting?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:17:56 AM by LKermit »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 10:31:30 AM »
That's a neat find LK!  Unfortunately, XXX is no longer with us (Sad news about xxxSKS aka Joe.

He would have loved seeing this one though, it's wild.  He was absolutely on top of anything commercial that was unusual, slightly different from the norm, or just downright odd.  The community as a whole lost a wealth of knowledge with his passing, but thankfully he gave Power Surge a good portion of his files and data to carry the torch.

As an aside, we try and keep the weebly sites (www.SKSGuide.com) updated, but many are still works in progress.  One day they will all be up to the level of the Chinese SKSGuide, but they are all not there yet.  We also need to freshen the Chinese guide in a few minor points as new information has become available.  The forums are definitely the best place to find the most current, up-to-date discussions.  thumb1

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
Ah, so the rumor was true........so sad!

Thanks for the posting, RM.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the Weebly site, and have linked literally hundreds of SKS curious folks to it, for its depth and breadth of knowledge. 

Mr. Joe is and will be missed greatly. 

KTF

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »
Don't see Joe's threads get revived so often...that is a very neat gun KTF....nice to see you post here too.
I would love to see more of this beauty. :)

That stock is just too nice...might have been a prototype of the idea that became the MC-5D perhaps? It is probably too labor intensive to make them like that vs. what we normally see...so very interesting.  clap1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 11:38:20 PM »
Bizarre stock!   

I agree... Post more pics inside and out. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 11:53:17 PM »
Nice find!  I do not have an origin of that particular stock, however I do have another M in the database with that same exact stock.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 02:31:41 AM »
Nice find!  I do not have an origin of that particular stock, however I do have another M in the database with that same exact stock.

Great...another hole to fill, nice to see it isn't some oddball one off bubba job, but still. Now I covet one. 

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 04:22:32 AM »

Power Surge, I believe I may have sent something to Joe years ago, when I first acquired it.  Is there any way of knowing who submitted your example?  I am trying to get a firm Idea about this little rifle's value.  I will sell it or trade it, but want it to have its rightful place in the SKS pantheon, assuming it is authentic Chinese manufacture.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Later this week I intend to do a full photo shoot with lots of digital pics.  Will post them ASAP.

Kermie

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »
The description of the inside of the stock being rougher than normal might make you think someone very talented made it....but the op rod business has my interest piqued. It may be an attempt at tuning the system for the shorter barrel like they did with the SKSS perhaps?  This does have the short gas system from what I can see....correct?

I am tempted to take apart my Sporter to see if it has a different op rod as well....pretty sure it is the only op rod I have that hasn't gotten launched. rofl

It sure seems like it would likely be a prototype version of what eventually became the MC-5D....the amount of work put into the stock might have been deemed too intensive for what they could actually fetch for these back then. The AK mag release makes me wonder if these came after the MC-5D though....very interesting. I look forward to the pics. :)