Author Topic: List of Yugoslavian M59 & M59/66 Importers  (Read 18706 times)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
List of Yugoslavian M59 & M59/66 Importers
« on: June 14, 2015, 12:59:19 AM »
I've been working on various parts of the non-Chinese surveys and got the Yugo import stamp stuff done today.  I figured I'd post it up here to show some of the different ones I've been able to find.  I honestly don't know what particular use these might serve, but maybe they can help someone decipher a poorly stamped specimen or something.  Click on any photo to enlarge it.

If you have a Yugo  import stamp that isn't shown here, post up a photo.  thumb1

• CAI #1, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    C.A.I. GEORGIA, VT
    MDL.59/66 7.62X39 YUGO <opposite side>

I suspect this is the oldest Century International Arms stamp.  It's an actual stamp, not a dot matrix imprint which puts it before 2002 when they implemented the pin punch.  The Georgia, VT location puts it after the move away from St. Albans ~November 2000.   M59/66 specific.  This one is found on both sides of the barrel.

• CAI #2, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    MDL59/66 YOGU 7.62X39
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.

This must have been one of the very early dot matrix printed CAI stamps.  It has an embarrassing "YOGU" misspelling in it.  I would have hoped they corrected this one rather quickly after it was found.  M59/66 specific, but without arsenal and country information noted in the later stamps.  Right side of the barrel under the gas tube.

• CAI #3, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    MDL.59/66 YUGO 7.62.39
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.

This CAI likely came immediately after they 'fixed' the YOGU mishap.  Proper punctuation after the MDL this time around.  Note the "7.62.39" portion of the stamp...likely another typo?  M59/66 specific.  Right side of the barrel under the gas tube.

• CAI #4, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    MDL.59/66 YUGO 7.62X39
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.

They got the "7.62x39" portion of the stamp correct on this series.  M59/66 specific.  Right side of the barrel under the gas tube.

• CAI #5, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    MDL  59/66  YUGO 7.62X39
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.

Much more widely spaced M59/66 on this CAI.  Still doesn't contain the arsenal or country info the later stamps seem to so I'm putting it smack dab in the middle of the CAI list.  Right side of the barrel under the gas tube.

• CAI #6, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    MDL.M59/66 7.62 X 39 ZASTAVA YUGO
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.

More detailed information now including the arsenal and country.   M59/66 specific.  Right side of the barrel under the gas tube.

• CAI #7, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    MOD.M59/66A1 YUGO 7.62X39
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.

"MDL" changed to "MOD", dropped arsenal and country.  #6 through #10 could easily be out of order.  This one is M59/66A1 specific.  Right side of the barrel under gas tube.

• CAI #8, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    MOD.M59/66A1 7.62 X 39 ZASTAVA, SERBIA
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.

Essentially the same information with re-addition of Zastava, Serbia.  Essentially the same as above, M59/66A1 specific.  Right side of the barrel under gas tube.

• CAI #9, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.
    ZASTAVA, SERBIA M59 7.62 X 39

Total rearrangement with "CAI" up front.  More detailed information now including the arsenal and country.   M59 specific.  Right side of the barrel under gas tube. (Image courtesy of Greasemonkey)

• CAI #10, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.
    ZASTAVA, SERBIA M59/66 7.62 X 39

Exact same layout as #9, but this time M59/66 specific.  Right side of the barrel under gas tube.

• Cherry's, Cherry's Fine Guns out of Greensboro, North Carolina:
    Cherrys GBO, NC Zastava FRY M5966 7.62x39
    Many consider Cherry's out of Greensboro, NC to be some of the finest Yugos imported.   "M5966" specific.  One side of the barrel under the gas tube.

• IAI, Intrac Arms International out of Knoxville, Tennessee:
    IAI I KNOX TN 7.62X39 M59/66 YUGO
    Not terribly familiar with this importer, but I do know they imported Chinese T56s in the 90s.  M59/66 specific, right side of barrel, under the grenade ladder.

• IO, Interordinance Inc. out of Monroe, North Carolina:
    INTERORDINANCE OF AMERICA MONROE NC
    M59/66, YUGOSLAVIA, 7.62 X 39

Good old IO.  M59/66 specific.  Right side of the barrel under the gas tube.

• KBI #1, KBI, Inc. out of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania:
    YUGO M59/66  7.62X39 KBI INC HBG,PA
    Same KBI out of Harrisburg, PA that imported all the Russian SKS45s.  Stamps even look similar, with almost identical placement, though with these they didn't have to re-serialize because of Cyrillic letters.    M59/66 specific.  Left side of the receiver.

• KBI #2, KBI, Inc. out of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania:
    KBI-HBG, A M59 7.62X39
    ZASTAVA-YUGOSLAVIA <opposite side>

Another KBI stamp, but M59 specific.  Seems engraved to me, and a bit sloppy at that.   This one shows info on both sides of the receiver. 

• KBI #3, KBI, Inc. out of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania:
    KBI HBG, PA 7.62x39
    ZASTAVA-YUGOSLAVIA

Another KBI stamp, this one was on a M59/66, but the stamp is not specific (may be missing text on the opposite side of the receiver as in KBI #2).  Two lines engraved/etched on the left side of the receiver.  (Image courtesy of padams8888)

• Mitchell, Mitchell Arms Inc. out of Santa Ana, California:
    MODEL S.K.S.          MITCHELL ARMS INC.
    CAL7,62 X 39          SANTA ANA, CAL, USA
    ZASTAVA-KRAGUJEVAC <opposite side>
    MADE IN YUGOSLAVIA <opposite side>

True stamping on both sides of the receiver.  Does not appear to be model specific (but then again, many say Mitchell guns are a model unto their own).  (Image courtesy of SKhiSm 59-66A1)

• NI, Numrich Inc. LLC out of West Hurly, New York:
    YUGOSLAVIA MOD. 59/66 7.62X39
    N.I. LLC W. HURLEY, NY

A true stamp (not dot matrix pin stamped) that is M59/66 specific.  Right side of the barrel. (Image courtesy of Greasemonkey)

• OOW, Ohio Ordinance Works out of Chardon, Ohio:
    SKS 7.62MM YUGOSLAV OOV CHARDON, OH
    This one is on an M59/66, but the stamp is not M59 or M59/66 specific.  Bottom of the barrel under the grenade ladder.

• PW #1, PW Arms out of Redmond, Washington:
    PW ARMS REDMOND WA 7.62x39 M59/66
    Noticeably missing the "Inc."  Very similar to the KBI stamp now that I look at it.  M59/66 specific. Left side of the receiver. 

• PW #2, PW Arms Inc. out of Redmond, Washington:
    YUGOSLAVIA  PW ARMS INC. REDMOND, WA
    Either this photo doesn't have all the info, or there is another stamp elsewhere on the gun with the model and caliber info in it.  Right side of the receiver.

• PW #3, out of Redmond, Washington:
    PW ARMS REDMOND WA  ZASTAVA  M59/66 7.62 X 39 MM YUGO
    PW Arms with a Zastava reference in it.  M59/66 specific.  Left side of the receiver.

• PW #4, out of Redmond, Washington:
    P.W.ARMS.REDMOND.WA ZASTAVA.M59/66   7.62x39 YUGO
    Very different punctuation than anything else I've seen but basically word for word the same as the brand new 2015 imports.  Very different than PW #3 with the spacing and punctuation.  Left side of the receiver.

• PW #5, out of Redmond, Washington:
    PW ARMS REDMOND WA ZASTAVA M59/66 7.62 X 39 YUGO
    The brand new, 2015 PW arms M59/66 imports.  Almost indistinguishable from PW #3, though note the slightly different location, different spacing, and the lack of the "MM" after the caliber.  Left side of the receiver.

• Samco #1, Samco Inc. out of Miami, Florida:
    SAMCO MIA FL
    M59 YUGO 7.62X39
    ZCZ

M59 specific stamp.  Bottom of the barrel between FSB and gas block.

• Samco #2, Samco Inc. out of Miami, Florida:
    SAMCO MIA FL
    M59/66 ZCZ YUGO 7.62X39

Here is the Samco M59/66 specific stamp.  Bottom of the barrel under the grenade ladder.

• SDI, Strategic Defense Imports out of Fox River Grove, Illinois:
    SKS 7.62 X 39 YUGOSLAV
    SDI FOX RIVER GROVE, IL

Bottom of the barrel, between gas block and stock ferrule.
    A new one.  I don't have much info on these guys but was able to track down that they are Strategic Defense Import, 1107 Victoria Dr., Fox River Grove, IL 60021. 

• TG, Tennessee Guns International out of Knoxville, Tennessee:
    TG KNOX TN SKS M59 7.62X39 YUGO
    M59 specific stamp.  They are still stamping their guns in pretty much the same spot with a very similar stamp.  Bottom of barrel between FSB and gas block.

Photos from various auction sites and internet postings are used under 17 U.S. Code § 107, fair use, not for profit educational purposes.  If any of the photos in this post are yours and you explicitly do not want them shown, please contact me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:24:27 AM by running-man »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: List of Yugoslavian M59 & M59/66 Importers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 07:01:31 PM »
Great info  thumb1

For someone late to the game, like myself, having the types of stamps encountered, progression of geographical changes of importers and historical framework of the methods used for the stamps is enlightening and valuable  clap1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »
Cleaned up some of the chatter off this thread and updated the main post.  We currently have an amazing 25 different Yugo stamps and I still need to put up the G10 stamp when I'm able to. 

If anyone has additional stamps we've missed, by all means, please post them up and I'll add them to the mix. 

-RM

Offline SKhiSm 59-66A1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
  • My God, they have a Weaselpecker with them.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
I think American Arms was one, not long before the Mitchell imports, so mid-late 80's I guess and might have been the first to import YSKS. I've seen exactly one listing ever that mentioned them as the importer, but with no pic. One to watch for.
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."

Daniel Boone

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:18:50 PM »
good stuff, thanks.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 02:08:54 AM »

[/li]
[li]PW #1, PW Arms out of Redmond, Washington:
PW ARMS REDMOND WA 7.62x39 M59/66
Noticeably missing the "Inc."  Very similar to the KBI stamp now that I look at it.  M59/66 specific. Left side of the receiver. 

RM, Was researching my latest "New to me" YUGO M59/66a1 ( BTW when researching the Import stamp, the very first thing google brought up was Your post and SKSfiles  thumb1 clap1) I think #20 P.W. import stamp may be this 1 with YUGO in the stamp as well. You'll see how different angles makes it disappear. 

same YUGO just different angle ( didn't notice till I had 'em downloaded to my comp but I always try to take lots of pics just in case)

Keep up the good work man  thumb1 Any Ideas on when this import stamp style Yugo's were imported? This puppy is chock full of cosmo still and pristine. I was thinking it was a newer import but now not so much. Been noticing a lot of P.W. imports lately, They seem to be a Big Player all across the milsurp board in Toks, Maks, Mosins and SKSs
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:22:21 PM by running-man »
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
Neat Hippie.  I think you're right about my pic having the Yugo but the angle just not showing it well.  The space between the x39 & M59 is just right for it to reside there.  I'd like to use your photo as the official photo for that stamp if you don't mind.

As for when imported, certainly prior to 2015.  The 2015 PW stamps were in the configuration of: PW ARMS REDMOND WA ZASTAVA M59/66 7.62 X 39 YUGO

I've got a later PW stamp that I just found that has different punctuation but the exact same layout, so I think that is a newer one (the 2015 from above came right out of the Classic unboxing when they first got these in in 2015, so I pretty much know it's pedigree)

I think I've got #20 and #21 in the wrong order.  It makes sense that #20 came later as all the later stamps are also all pin punched while #21 is engraved (and a bit roughly at that).

The ones with the Zastava are the ones's I'd assume to be the earliest stamps with the progression slowly moving to what is currently being stamped now.  Yugos first came in en masse ~2001 I believe.  Narrowing it down farther than that is a tough task I fear w/o being able to talk to someone at PW.

Good stuff Hippie, the Yugo boards don't get much lovin these days.  Need some good Yugo examples to pique people's interest!  chuckles1
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:32:41 PM by running-man »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 01:30:37 PM »
Here's the latest PW Arms stamp I found the other day, it's very distinct from the 2015 stamp: P.W.ARMS.REDMOND.WA ZASTAVA.M59/66  7.62x39 YUGO

Was also planning on replacing #20 with this one of yours Hippie, let me know what you think:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:27:35 PM by running-man »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 12:24:12 AM »
RM, Was researching my latest "New to me" YUGO M59/66a1 ( BTW when researching the Import stamp, the very first thing google brought up was Your post and SKSfiles  thumb1 clap1) I think #20 P.W. import stamp may be this 1 with YUGO in the stamp as well. You'll see how different angles makes it disappear. 

same YUGO just different angle ( didn't notice till I had 'em downloaded to my comp but I always try to take lots of pics just in case)

Keep up the good work man  thumb1 Any Ideas on when this import stamp style Yugo's were imported? This puppy is chock full of cosmo still and pristine. I was thinking it was a newer import but now not so much. Been noticing a lot of P.W. imports lately, They seem to be a Big Player all across the milsurp board in Toks, Maks, Mosins and SKSs

Hippie.. what kind of wood is that stock.. it don't look like the typical elm, seems like a totally different grain think1
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:27:56 PM by running-man »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 01:40:22 AM »
Go right ahead RM  thumb1 Any time anything I post can be of use/help, feel free man, Glad to help  thumb1 This Yugo has definitely re-piqued my interest. Hope to have some daylight hours by this weekend to get decent pics and post 'er up.

Hippie.. what kind of wood is that stock.. it don't look like the typical elm, seems like a totally different grain think1

Right? Its the first thing I noticed about it. It looked out of place to me. I'm used to the heavy large grain of your typical Yugo but this stock reminds me of my romanian M44's stock. It has the "fish scale" look to it in a few places and on the hand guard. All small short grains throughout. Its matching and still stuck to with cosmo, so definitely as imported. This Yugo is a 9.5 outta 10 on condition So sent fresh outta refurb or even ( I don't typically use the term "unissued" but who knows) Definitely not the regular elm so did Yugoslavia use other woods at any point? or sometimes replace with different at refurb?

( RM, I'll try and get it posted separately by this weekend)

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 11:33:32 PM »
Picked up a D A1 Yugo (1967) with the importer of InterOrdinance, here is the marking.

Here is my H A1 (1971) from PW Arms...still in cosmoline.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:01:14 AM by High Noon »