Author Topic: SKS Barrel/Receiver Index Numbers Identified and Verified  (Read 26092 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: SKS Barrel/Receiver Index Numbers Identified and Verified
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »
The East German is messing with the rest, right now.

Extractor cut is below receiver ledge.

I have it apart right now, scouring the receiver for any clues as to how they marked it.  So far, no good info.

But I'll keep looking.

Added your pic.... thanks

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »
Best I can do for the East German with the extractor cut under the rail ledge:

Since the East Germans had to have some method of clocking, I scoured the receiver for any type of marking.  The barrel has very obvious markings.

Barrel stamps:  25275 and 0D70 over 8

While there is a great amount of pitting at the usual left front area, the witness mark can still be viewed.  So, if there were any remnants of numbers, they would at least be somewhat visible.  But no stamps at all appear on the left front.

The only other markings are found on the right side, and very lightly stamped.

Receiver number, to the best of my ability to read:  [K9] and 27.75

Makes no sense to me at all!  But I'll release the deciphering hounds with some pics.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »
All fairly indiscernible.   ???

But Ill take a shot at it.   :P

The 25275 and 0D70, one is a lot/heat number, and the other a part number. Dont ask which is which.

The 8 on the barrel looks to have been applied at a dif time then the ones above and could possibly be an index number.

The receiver number looks like it could actually be 07.75 or 0775 which is pretty darn close to 8!  Are the Germans that anal that they would mark a fractional number if the witness mark in the jig plots somewhere between a 7 and 8?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
I was debating whether the receiver number began with a 0 or a 2.  Even under the best magnification I can muster with a loupe, it is not a lock for either.  So, the 0 could be quite likely.

On the .75 portion.  It make sense that it could be a quarterly measured fraction.  Maybe someone else with an East German will be so kind as to check their example?  Hopefully it will add confirmation to your theory.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »
Dont know of any other sksfiles member who has one. Powersurge had one, but sold it.  Maybe he has pics of these numbers still?  May have to track down some folks on GB M08.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2021, 10:02:53 AM »
Yes. They went from 0 to 35. There are no uncommon/rare numbers that I’ve seen. All should/could turn up with equal propensity on old machinery not able to index the threads.