Author Topic: Two World War Veteran  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Tudorp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Two World War Veteran
« on: May 13, 2015, 06:55:08 PM »
Pride of my collection. This Colt M1911 was originally born in 1914. Served in WWI as an M1911. After the war, was re-arsenaled in the M1911A1 configuration and served in WWII. Gets a lot of attention at the range when I take it out for excersise. It  sleeps in a 1918 dated Sheffer & Rossum USGI holster.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
Re: Two World War Veteran
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:30:22 PM »
The rebuilt/parked early '11s don't garner much love among the collectors, and I'm not sure why. I guess the purists want the blued/flat mainspring/big trigger on the early stuff. I don't know, don't care. I just love some 1911s! If that's a two-tone looped mag that thing alone could pay my electric bill for a few months.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 12:41:32 AM »
The rebuilt/parked early '11s don't garner much love among the collectors, and I'm not sure why.

I don't understand this either Kevin. For many years most 1911s that were in the army inventory had been around the world several times and were arsenal rebuilt or upgraded then re-issued, some more than once. For the life of me I see no difference this makes.

Tudorp I would be proud to own this one as you are, an incredible bit of our history. If it could only talk, what stories it might tell! Thanks for sharing this old warrior with us.

Offline Tudorp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 07:10:33 AM »
Thanks, I don't get it either. If it served that way, its part of the guns history. I just think it's cool that it is 100 years old, served in 2 world wars, and still shoots like it did 100 years ago. A testament to it's design.  Both mags I have with it are authentic USGI mags, but neither is the two tone.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:43:02 AM »
  Awesome pistol with an awesome heritage! I don't own an original like that, but I do like the 1911A1's. Thanks for sharing.

firstchoice