Author Topic: Yugoslavian Model 1924  (Read 9212 times)

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Yugoslavian Model 1924
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »
Well, after cleaning my Yugo captured and refurbished German 98k mauser, I decided to scan the interweb to learn more about the mausers that are directly associated with Yugoslavia.  In my research, I came upon an interesting 1924 mauser that made me take the plunge again even though I was not planning on buying anything for a little while.... :o  :)

Model 1924 mausers are intermediate action rifles with a large receiver ring and a short action.  Physically, they are similar in most regards to the K98 kurz ("short"), but more directly based on the Czechoslovakian vz.24, made in the same year. Like all derivatives of the original G98, it is a bolt action rifle with a magazine capacity of five rounds chambered for the 7.92x57mm bullet.

All of the 1924s (unless scrubbed by the Germans during WWII or reworked at Zastava to make the M24/47), bear the national crest on the top of the receiver. The left side of the receiver has either Краљевина СХС (Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes) if the rifle was produced during or before 1929 or Краљевина Југославија (Kingdom of Yugoslavia) if produced after. The left side wall will also be marked by 1 of 3 manufacturers:
1) 1926-1928: FAB. NOT. D’ARMES de GUERRE , HERSTAL-BELGIQUE (100,000 guns produced under Belgian) contract)
2) 1928-1931: АРТ. ТЕX. ЗАВОД (artillery tech. institute)– Крагујевцу (abt 172,260 guns produced in Yugo)
3) 1932-1941: BOJHOTEX.ЗАВОД (military tech. institute)– Крагујевцу (abt 510,399 guns produced in Yugo)

The right side of the receiver will have the serial number.  This will also be mirrored on the stock just below it.

To estimate the date of manufacture of one of these rifles, it is good to know the manufacturer, the serial number, and the royal cypher which is located on the right butt stock.  Guns manufactured between 1928 and 1934 were produced under the reign of King Alexander I, and those from 1935 to 1940 under the reign of King Peter II the corresponding monarch's cypher would be located on the butt stock.

Most of the 1924s remaining in Yugoslavia following WWII were re-arsenaled to the M-24/47 configuration.

Now for a couple of pics of my new acquisition (can't tell if it was chromed for ceremonial guard use or if the bluing is just worn off.....):

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:52:42 AM by Phosphorus32 »
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Yugoslavisn Model 1924
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:58:18 PM »
Fascinating and a beautiful rifle. Thanks for the write-up & photos!   clap1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
Cool. You don't run across the M24s very often.  It looks like someone may have helped along that transition to in the white with some polishing.  It looks a bit bright for simple bluing wear through usage, but I can't say for sure from pictures. I would rule out chrome or nickel plating because the bluing or patina that remains in the recesses of the lettering and the crest.  Does it still have bluing below the wood?

The large ring shorter action rifles originated with the FN contract model 1924, of which yours is an example. The VZ24 is actually a large ring standard length action like the Gew98 and K98k. The Serbs also made their own Model 1924 rifles at Kragujevac.

Nice pick up  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:04:17 PM »
It is a bit "white", even the crossbolt...FN's were blued

Other Mausers have used the intermediate action as well 1903 Turk, 1909 Peruvian, 1935 Argentine, Oberndorf Commercial. The intermediate action was also used by Mexico as well as Mausers made in Mexico.

The CXC stamp on the left side is the Serbian Cyrillic abbreviation for Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, it's the political precursor to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

I was not planning on buying anything for a little while.... :o  :).
Definition of "a little while" usually 3/4 days tops... then the shakes, bad sweats, scratching, nervous tics, visions and voices come  nailbite1 silly1.... oh, you got it so very bad..
CLASSIC ADDICT gone hardcore, fallen hard, main lining thumb1

At this rate....we may need an intervention :)        nea1  so....whats next think1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 03:25:17 PM »
Intervention? Is that a contraction for the "international enablers' convention"?  I'm in!  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 03:38:33 PM »
Intervention? Is that a contraction for the "international enablers' convention"?  I'm in!  thumb1

You know it, big fella.. thumb1

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »
It's the cross bolt and front sight being so white that made me think it may have been plated at some time for more ceremonial use or something.  I cannot think why bubba may want to do something like this without disturbing the rest of the gun.

Really, I swear, I was not going to buy anything.  If this did not look so odd, I would never have given it a second thought.  Well, maybe that's not entirely true, I had never seen a 1924 listed as such, but that's besides the point.

I do admit to checking in on Dan's a couple of times over the weekend to see if he still had the 59s...  But I AM NOT hearing voices!!!           

Yet........... :o
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 04:20:50 PM »
It's the cross bolt and front sight being so white that made me think it may have been plated at some time for more ceremonial use or something.  I cannot think why bubba may want to do something like this without disturbing the rest of the gun.

Really, I swear, I was not going to buy anything.  If this did not look so odd, I would never have given it a second thought.  Well, maybe that's not entirely true, I had never seen a 1924 listed as such, but that's besides the point.

I do admit to checking in on Dan's a couple of times over the weekend to see if he still had the 59s...  But I AM NOT hearing voices!!!           

drool2

Yet........... :o

Those M59s are beautiful  drool2  GM, let's hold a quick vote on Montigre expanding her Yugoslavian collection  thumb1 yahoo1  It's not like you need to buy a crate of consecutive serial numbers, so you're actually saving a bunch of money by getting just one M59 :o  :)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:56:20 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
Those M59s are beautiful  drool2  GM, let's hold a quick vote on Montigre expanding her Yugoslavian collection  thumb1 yahoo1  It's not like you need to buy a crate of consecutive serial numbers, so you're actually saving a bunch of money by getting on M59 :o  :)

Yugot'it  thumb1   

Listen to the voices montigre......then Yugo find and buy... :)

Yugo M57s  thumb1

Yugo with stripes...  thumb1    Mmmmaaaaaaauuuuuuzzzeeerrr rofl

Another striped one...

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »
I already have a 59, so I can resist the urge for now.  No interventions yet, fellas...   bat1  but.....

Oh, I do love those striped Mausers!!!  HELP!!! rofl 

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 08:43:04 PM »
Okay... I picked up this Mauser from my shop this past Friday, got it home and went to take it apart to check it over and the bloody safety is seized.  Contacted the seller who stated the rifle was obtained directly from the importer and one of the guys at his shop did take it apart for a cursory cleaning before it was listed and it seemed to have worked then. 

This got me to thinking that he who cleaned it may not have properly positioned the safety before removing it...  So how is this remedied?  I do not wish to follow the seller's recommendation of spraying it with WD40 to see if it will loosen  :o

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 09:48:12 PM »
Okay....define stuck... is it stuck in fire, is it stuck in safety, or straight up?

What have you tried? Need a little more info to get you in the right direction. thumb1
It won't go to safety if it's not cocked.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 06:49:39 AM »
It was stuck in fire.  I heated the area with a blow drier and was finally able to move it after jiggling it a bit --there was a glob of hardened gunk that had wedged itself between the safety and bolt that was preventing movement.  :o 

Probably was displaced during the cleaning process at the shop.  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Re: Yugoslavian Model 1924
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
I'd say pull the bolt apart, double check and clean, what else was missed?  Better safe than sorry thumb1

I have had some tight Mauser safeties, some of these Yugos were rebuilt and never used..or broken in or seated. Being unused, or a replacement with new parts can make it sometimes in combination with dried gunk make it very difficult to move.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 05:40:53 PM »
Might need one of these (like the Mosin Nagant guys are wont to need...):

chuckles1 chuckles1

Man I crack myself up!  rofl2

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 06:24:42 PM »
RM.......You are in the senile denial stage, YOU, typed proof of this
Man I crack myself up!  rofl2
Your senile man!!! senil1 thumb1  You just haven't found that special one to excite you :)  Ask P32 or the Hippie, don''t fight the feeling.

You know, if you hadn't procrastinated for so long you could have got one cheap, like when they were 59-69 bucks.....but NOOOooooo... you had to be all stubbern, obstinate, headstrong, willful, strong-willed, pigheaded, obdurate, difficult, contrary, perverse, recalcitrant, inflexible, iron-willed, uncompromising, unbending, not to mention hardheaded, now they are 200 bucks, and now, secretly you long for one, you need one..You ain't got to buy 20, just 1, one, uno, the lowest cardinal number, it's a nice round number, and enough to say, Yup, I got one thumb1 quit being like the Gollum... We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious.

Besides, none of mine need that special tool....that, think1 thats an SKS trigger group install tool. You beat, uhm install NVA, NK and EG trigger groups in  thumb1 Romanians are such quality, they slide in like butter  chuckles1 rofl2

Don't go totally senile....buy a Mosin and stave off the effects before it becomes incurable. thumb1