Author Topic: Canadian Tire pulls SKSs  (Read 7966 times)

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
Canadian Tire pulls SKSs
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »
A friend of mine who works at CT and said corporate issued a statement that all SKSs and accessories are to removed from shelves and returned to distributor. Checked on line and this is across Canada. Ammunition will be for sale as so it would not impact other rifles. This is a corporate mandate and not government.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Canadian Tire pulls SKSs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:55:42 PM »
Why?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »
There isn't any reason at this time. It could be from Las Vegas shooting?  All that I know is that notices were given and all CT had to comply. As I stated before it is a corporate decision.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 03:38:11 AM »
I don't live in Canada... But, with a major retailer, natonal borders don't matter.... there is always a reason, and 90% of the time..it's money.

https://calibremag.ca/canadian-tire-discontinuing-sks-sales/

‘As part of our regular product review process, we often introduce or retire products from our categories, taking into consideration product mix and assortment. Last year alone, we introduced over 10,000 new items, including products in our hunting and fishing categories in support of Canada’s rich outdoor traditions.’

Sounds logical to me..  dump the slow moving products with little profit margin, replace with faster moving,  higher profit margin products that don't sit around and soak up shelf space and waste capital. That's a typical corporate money and shelf space play, out with the old and slow sellers, in with the new, fast and high volume inventory.

Most all retailers put a dollar amount or another measuring value on a linear foot of shelf space. They want to see a return on the investment. If a product is a money loser, low profit, slow to move, then that shelf space is wasted space. Also time comes into play.. if product sits, it's losing money, not only by not selling, it's blocking or taking room from product that will move. Also, it messes with logistics and the room slow moving products take in the back storage room, time and effort to load, unload...... Well you get the general idea.. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:54:46 AM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »
  :o you have a tire stores selling guns and ammo? so that would be like Firestone and Goodyear stores selling that stuff here in the USA?  8)
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
Canadian Tire is a strange store.  Theres the tire dept obviously, a parts dept like the counter at checker, and a mix of things you would find in target, home depot, etc, but never food, or toys, or clothes.  I still don't have a good US analogy for it.

The store in Swift Current has an amazing outdoors section with a wall of guns, and others have none.  Its very much store by store.

Curiously, if you go to one with an outdoor section that has guns/ammo its the best place to find non steel core  Tokarev ammo.

I don't know how they regularly adjust the things they sell but heres the notice.
If they had just let the remaining stock sell out it would have looked better.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »
What's that last little "gotcha" under Details?  "Per regular process recall information will be sent shortly outlining next steps for the return of the product to the vendor." Is that supposed to be mandatory? Okay, at first I thought they were referring to already sold rifles to the customer. I guess they're referring to the store returning them to thier supplier? My blood pressure is returning to normal, slowly.  bat1 chuckles1

Hope you guys get that worked out!

firstchoice

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 12:22:49 PM »
The required return of SKS aftermarket items is a little disconcerting if it was just a slowdown in sales...they already have sold a lot of these, accessories would still be viable. Seems a little strange....as is that many rifles being retailed in Timbersmith stocks...is that a little weird to anyone else?

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
many rifles being retailed in Timbersmith stocks...is that a little weird to anyone else?
Depends if they are doing the stock swap in the store or not.
I brought these 3 stocks from a CT in the summer, they were the ones they had taken off and i could have had more.  That store had two 5 gallon pails of stocks behind the counter.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »
many rifles being retailed in Timbersmith stocks...is that a little weird to anyone else?
I brought these 3 stocks from a CT in the summer, they were the ones they had taken off and i could have had more.  That store had two 5 gallon pails of stocks behind the counter.

I would have flipped a few bucks for a tire rotation even if unneeded for a chance to look through those buckets.... I wonder if that is why we can only find left handed Timbersmith stocks anymore around the States. :)

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »
I have no idea what i am going to do with them, but, just in case i ever need one i couldnt pass it up.

Offline Luke2236

• Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »

That's pretty cool actually - don't know what I would do with themself, but seems like a good thing to have kicking around...but them I'm a bit of a pack rat lol. And yes Canadian Tire is a bit of a weird store for those from the U.S. - don't think there's a direct comparitor for you guys. Not that long ago, one of our local CT's even had a few SVT-40's in the rack!
Canadian...eh!

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
I suppose it is safe to assume none of those stocks happen to be 49 Tula's are they? :)

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »
I havent actually looked for that  :o

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »
I suppose it is safe to assume none of those stocks happen to be 49 Tula's are they? :)
No, i just looked. Front to back,
51 Tula KB2277 1st grau stamp and original round stampy thing

The next two are sanded down at the refurb plant, but thats it, no new finish
faint makings as follows Tula, cant see year, 269C (weird number, maybe its a bad 0 ), round stampy thing

again very faint, 1953 Tula ЛГ748

I wish i had looked for an sks with the sanded stock on the rack, i am now curious if they were full mixmaster or what.

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 02:16:24 PM »
From what I've been told a Russian wood stock will work on a Romanian so you peaked my interest. Do your stocks have the hand guards also? Would you have an interest is selling one and if so can it be shipped to the southern USA? Any idea of shipping cost if you want to sell one? Up front I'll say I don't do paypal type of things but would be willing to do money order type of transaction. If you are not interested in selling I understand that also. I traded into a '58 Romanian that was set in a plastic "no-name" stock and the other guy can't find the original stock he said he had in storage go figure.

Charlie

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
The shipping was stupid last time i looked $30 or something was the cheapest.  I was going to sell some when i got these but now i have other projects in mind.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 05:06:20 AM »
Hey newchi!

What kind of money are they charging for these take-off stock sets? Do they retain all their hardware? I'm looking for a nice Russian hardwood set. Maybe multiple sets, if the money is right.  thumb1

It would depend on the total cost to by the set and then ship it south to Missouri, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask, right?   :)

firstchoice

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »
i paid 30, it has the sling swivel and the trigger group button spring thingy.
But that store was about 8 hrs from here and they dont sell evil sks anymore, so finding anymore might be tough.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 08:53:09 AM »
i paid 30, it has the sling swivel and the trigger group button spring thingy.
But that store was about 8 hrs from here and they dont sell evil sks anymore, so finding anymore might be tough.

Ahh.., okay. I sold a nice Russian hardwood set to a member that had a VG Romanian M56 w/o a matching stock. And he mounted it with little to no fitting. It looked really nice after mating that Russian wood to that Romy! If it ain't matching, it may as well be nice looking!  thumb1

firstchoice