Author Topic: Bayo Replacement for M59 Yugo  (Read 3494 times)

Offline SKhiSm 59-66A1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
  • My God, they have a Weaselpecker with them.
Bayo Replacement for M59 Yugo
« on: February 02, 2015, 05:11:57 PM »
Does anybody know if a Chi blade or Russian bayo muzzle collar will fit properly on an M59 muzzle ? It seems like about 1 in 5 I see being offered have no bayo, and I've looked from time to time without ever seeing a loose M59 bayo being offered. They're darker than your average bayo, often a lot darker. So I've been wondering if one of these would fit, I'd consider getting a blade blued for an M59 if it needed one. It wouldn't look correct but might still look pretty good.   
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."

Daniel Boone

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Bayo Replacement for M59 Yugo
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:29:46 PM »
The components are the same and work.  Minus a straight collar early Russian and a 59/66 of course.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 06:09:23 PM »
I need to find an extra Chinese bayonet, I got a bead blasting cabinet, I got glass bead, silicon dioxide and walnut, wonder how close I could get the blade finish to a M59. I'm sure the silicone dioxide grit would rip the finish off and dull the metal rather quick on a regular Chinese.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »
In addition to the grainy grey finish, M59 bayos are a bit different length from your typical Chinese or Russian blade.  I don't have the exact size difference, but I don't remember it to be a bunch, something on the order of 3/8' maybe?  I'll pull two out tonight and get you some photos and a real measurement.

As far as the collar, spring, and screw, LC is right the Chinese and Russians are interchangeable with an M59 (minus the specialized ones like the early Russian flat lug version)

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »
My 'ol trusty crude redneck tape measure, I get like an 1/8 inch or so between the M59 and a Chinese or Russian bayonet, the Yugo being just a smidge bigger, sorry, longer.

Come on RM, say it, GM, put the straightjacket on, leave the sharp pointy object handling to the professionals. chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem