Author Topic: FRONT sight assembly  (Read 14861 times)

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
Re: FRONT sight assembly
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 01:46:21 PM »
I'm with you Danny, a $@$#$@$@ dremel has no business near any of my SKSs!  bat1  rofl2

Amen sir.

Oh please, I have found my dremel indispensable in fitting my regular SKS stock to my SKS Sporter as well as mounting the rail to said stock (got one that fits in the empty bayo slot). Now, I don't use it on my Russian (obviously, I don't mess with that) and not on my matching C&R Chinese letter gun old war horse either but for doing some improvements to the Sporter the dremel was a must have tool.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »
Oh please, I have found my dremel indispensable in fitting my regular SKS stock to my SKS Sporter as well as mounting the rail to said stock (got one that fits in the empty bayo slot). Now, I don't use it on my Russian (obviously, I don't mess with that) and not on my matching C&R Chinese letter gun old war horse either but for doing some improvements to the Sporter the dremel was a must have tool.

Well, I have to back track and agree with you Carl. I should have said I don't use my Dremel, or any other tool for that matter, to "bubba" a firearm. But their use around the house and shop is only limited by ones imagination.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 02:13:31 PM »
I may/may have used a dremel.     :o

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »
Yeah but using a Dremel in building a rifle like this one is different Cannon. You did an incredible job with that rifle!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 02:59:03 PM »
Bah, that gun of Cannon's is a total hack job! ::)
He didn't even anodize the bare aluminum, and forget about shooting it left handed there's a huge adjustment knob in your way!  cry1
(Ok I'm done trashing his workmanship!)  rofl

I have to admit that I own a dremel.  I also will gladly admit that I hate my dremel and use it only when absolutely necessary, which 99% of the time is to sharpen my chain saw blades using a nice little jig I picked up a long time ago that controls angle and whatnot.  I still maintain that a dremel near a firearm is a terrible idea, especially around any part that's metal!  I've seen so many oopsies where the %$#%$#% things get away from somebody or they cut way more than was necessary that it just looks horrid.  Now I can totally understand Carl's point of view about doing some fittment in a tight stock and the need to sand away material in a narrow mortice or something.  If you don't have some proper sized & shaped chisels, rasps, files, etc. a dremel will certainly make quick work of it and will probably look good afterwards (or even if it doesn't it's hidden deep down inside!) thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »
running-man I have one of those attachments you're talking about, those things are handy as a pocket on a shirt! Sure makes sharpening a chain faster and easier once you get the hang of it.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 04:39:56 PM »
...dremel will certainly make quick work of it and will probably look good afterwards (or even if it doesn't it's hidden deep down inside!) thumb1

Ah ha! You have discovered my secret for successful dremel work - don't do it where anyone can see it. They do tend to get away from you. That said, I just fit a new Chinese gas tube to fit my Russian and Chinese /26\ and I couldn't have done it in 3 minutes without my dremel (and only one small ooops)  doh1

Beautiful rifle LC!
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »
C'mon Carl, show us your handi-work.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 05:15:17 PM »
C'mon Carl, show us your handi-work.

It looks ok from the outside but it aint pretty on the inside, especially where I attached the rail and had to do some work with a less than razor sharp knife.  :-[  I'll try to get some pics up later.