Author Topic: My new project Yugo M59/66A1 incomplete.(Gunsmith special)  (Read 13384 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
My new project Yugo M59/66A1 incomplete.(Gunsmith special)
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »
Figured since the cat is out of the bag now I'll post up some pics and we can all see how this works out together. :)) :))

For any and all who haven't read the other thread yet, this was the Gunbroker SKS mentioned in the auctions section 'on the cheap'
It was local to me so I made a local purchase offer and got it for $54.23 OTD
It is a G series 1970 , right in the middle of the production year. Still has a bunch of cosmoline in it and blueing is good.
Gas tube is standard type, not the M59/66 type, but it has no markings so I am not sure if it is off of an M59, Chinese, Russian, or what. Also, the HG is missing.
Box mag is missing. I have a Russian one, but looking at making this a Faux M1A SOCOM 16 and using either the G3, G5, or G9 mag adapter set up Marcus offers. I am going to be buying an AR Upper in x39 so going with the G9 would give me the same mag for both platforms.
Stock is not too bad, but is missing the trapdoor and the cleaning kit in the butt. I may refinish it for the project in a Kona stain and tung oil, but am really interested in trying out the new Choate collapsible stock.(main body looks conventional, but has a pistol grip and coll. butt). Kicking myself now because I had a Ramline Conventional complete and sold it locally right before I found out about this rifle. It would have been a good candidate for this project.

Someone beat on the carrier/receiver cover a little. I did a quick deburr on the cover as it had a few sharp areas.

Here is another angle of the bend in the barrel. The tricky part on this, since it is further back than I thought and hoped for, is get the rear area bent back straight without ending up bending the forward part of the barrel over the other direction. I will start by bracing under the front of the receiver and onto the barrel lug. Then brace on the barrel probably right behind the lower ferrule and apply pressure just in front of the RSB where the marks on the barrel are.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: My new project Yugo M59/66A1 incomplete.(Gunsmith special)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »
Oh, and for anyone who might suggest restoring it to it's original glory......OOPS, too late. rofl2 rofl2
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »
Bend the barrel, and not screw up the wood in any way....that's pure talent right thar.

OMG, he killed Kenny!!! plumb chopped his head clean off cry1   chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:24:10 PM »
Put a clean 11degree crown on that barrel to protect the new crown. Contact Ben Murray and get one of his SS gas valves. It will help if you have any cycling issues due to the shorter barrel. I cut mine back to 16 1/4" and it was 'iffy' on cycling depending on the ammo. Ben's valve cured that problem. It's possible you still may need to drill out the holes for more gas.

Good luck on the project. Keep posting pix as you proceed.

Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »
Would you believe I cut that by hand with a hacksaw? I did clean it up some on my benchtop disc/belt sander afterward though.

It is cut to 17 1/4" and since where I cut it the barrel OD is right at .590" I am planning on threading it to 15mmx1 RH and get a muzzle device from CNCwarrior.
I've always found keeping it that little bit longer has always eliminated having to mess with the gas port.
I did look at the gas valve breifly and, while full of cosmo, it should clean up and be a good snug fit. It was a little tight coming out with the cosmo and that is a good sign.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 07:53:44 PM »
This is going to be a great project!  That thing has more damage that I thought, whoever did that to the carrier and receiver cover needs taken to the woodshed….

Hey GG, what's your plan for the stock (did it survive the whole sad ordeal w/o any damage?!)

If you're going to scrap it, please let me know.  We're sending in samples to the lab for analysis and I don't yet have a Yugo 'elm' sample.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »
How does a conventional gas tube work on a 59/66?

Granted, it looks like bubba and his ball peen hammer met this possibly before the truck ran over it...and I don't have a heck of a lot of experience with Yugos.  Mine is a Cherry's that I can hardly bring myself to shoot much less take apart....but isn't the gas block different enough that a standard gas tube wouldn't fit?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »
This is going to be a great project!  That thing has more damage that I thought, whoever did that to the carrier and receiver cover needs taken to the woodshed….

Hey GG, what's your plan for the stock (did it survive the whole sad ordeal w/o any damage?!)

If you're going to scrap it, please let me know.  We're sending in samples to the lab for analysis and I don't yet have a Yugo 'elm' sample.

Yes it survived quite well actually. The main body of the stock had some tension on it to the right, but the metal around it(bayonet, cleaning rod, ferrule, barrel, receiver) helped to keep it from being broken up. Which was not the case for the HG. Even though not the correct tube, somewhere along the line it had the OEM wood HG on it and was broken off somehow. The rear ferrule has not been tampered with.
FYI, the stock and other parts I am not going to keep are up for sale in the trader section.

Granted, it looks like bubba and his ball peen hammer met this possibly before the truck ran over it...and I don't have a heck of a lot of experience with Yugos.  Mine is a Cherry's that I can hardly bring myself to shoot much less take apart....but isn't the gas block different enough that a standard gas tube wouldn't fit?

A standard tube will work on an M59/66 as the tube will fit snugly over the end of the gas valve. I have done this a few times to test a Yugo when I didn't have the correct tube available. If the valve is bad you will get a lot of gas blast coming back into your face though. That is what the flared part of the Yugo tube is for. To deflect and gas away from the shooter.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »

A standard tube will work on an M59/66 as the tube will fit snugly over the end of the gas valve. I have done this a few times to test a Yugo when I didn't have the correct tube available. If the valve is bad you will get a lot of gas blast coming back into your face though. That is what the flared part of the Yugo tube is for. To deflect and gas away from the shooter.

:o  I didn't know you could potentially sub one out as long as the gas valve was in good shape....the thought of singed eyelashes is a bit scary though. 

Since you removed the launcher, are you considering replacing the gas block with a conventional one?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 08:55:12 PM »
That is an option, but I was planning on getting a Yugo tube so I would have the option of shutting the valve off for a 'bolt action' effect.(save the brass type thing more than anything.)

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:58:43 PM »
Yeah, I guess it would be nice to have that option....didn't consider that.  I am always just chasing around junk steel cases trying to be environmentally conscious vs. recycling the quality ammo I have never had.  chuckles1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 11:29:21 PM »
Well guys, I got my barrel straightened out today. Here's a pic for ya.

IMAG0038 by salanw@att.net, on Flickr

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 01:13:04 AM »
Alrighty then 'guns! Next we gotta take it out and burn sone powder.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 09:33:08 AM »
Well, first I gotsta clean the rest of the cosmo out. thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »
I know I'm not alone with this but I can hardly wait to see the finished product!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »
Well guys, I got my barrel straightened out today. Here's a pic for ya.

IMAG0038 by salanw@att.net, on Flickr
You mentioned earlier the use of a press, but speaking as one who is not skilled in the metalworking arts, I'd certainly be interested in more description about how this is done and how you gauge the straightness of the bore afterwards.  I'm enjoying this thread  thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »

...I'd certainly be interested in more description about how this is done and how you gauge the straightness of the bore afterwards.  I'm enjoying this thread  thumb1

Yeah...what he said!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 04:15:52 PM »

...I'd certainly be interested in more description about how this is done and how you gauge the straightness of the bore afterwards.  I'm enjoying this thread  thumb1

Yeah...what he said!

The seller stated they thought it had gotten run over. I actually have straightened one that was worse than this before. Most of the bend on this one is just in front of the RSB.
Back in the '80s I was a front end mechanic and did a lot of alignments on straight axle and Ford I-beam axles. The process was what they called a cold bend. Basically taking a porta power hydraulic jack system, bracing the axle at 2 points and bending the axle in between to get the camber set.
In the case of the barrel, it is more or less the same process with the difference being I need to find the center of the bend point and using that as my tangent contact point for the bottle jack ram of a hydraulic press I then support the barrel at strategic points on both sides and apply pressure. Similarly to the alignment method I will press the barrel slightly past the point I want it at, hold for about 15 seconds then release and let it spring back. Repeat as needed until the barrel is straight. Because there is no heat applied there is little to no affect on the temper of the barrel.
To check for straightness I have a 3 part system, straight edge on the OD, checking the bore from the rear of the receiver through the muzzle for concentricity(eyeballing it), and laser bore sighting to see how the sights line up. After that I will go to the range and test fire it and repeat the process as needed. They make calibrated gauge rods for checking bore alignment, but I just never bought one.
The other one I did was really bad and I had to go back in for a second bend, that was 6 years ago +/-. All-in-all, it turned out well. I sold it to a friend and he still has it. He gets 3-5" groups at 100yds and has taken a few deer.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 07:09:57 AM »
Awe man...   I was hoping to find step/step pics and details of how you located the sweet spot, supported/ setup the press, and the over travel in action etc.   cry1

Lookin good so far!    :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
Great work greatguns! Salvaging a firearm that for most would appear to be a list cause  :o  thumb1