Author Topic: Saturday Night's all Right  (Read 7173 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Saturday Night's all Right
« on: May 29, 2017, 11:33:28 AM »
With limited room in the safe, and a potential cross country move in the near-ish future-- I've shifted my collecting this year to pistols.

With the homestead necessities covered (.45, 9mm, .357mag)-- I've begun to fixate on mouse guns and Saturday Night/Ring of Fire pieces:

Here's a pair of Raven MP-25's. The design of the safety and the serials put  these in the mid to late-mid production run-- prior to the Phoenix Arms buyout. They're both in pretty amazing conditon with the original boxes (ink stamped to match)-- obviously the Chrome/"ivory" model is the Belle of da Ball in this pair. But the blued model is a prince in its own right.
Both are clean throughout. Haven't had a chance to get them out the range yet. Soon.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:14:30 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Saturday Night's all Right
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:38:16 AM »
Nice little pistols.  Years ago I had an FIE Titan .25acp which was the first pistol I ever owned.  Sold it off a few years ago when a "small pistols collector" offered me enough money to part with it.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »
Nice little pistols.  Years ago I had an FIE Titan .25acp which was the first pistol I ever owned.

It's definitely on my list of  pistols to add.

But the top of my list are the CZ Duo and Sterling Arms 300 (6.35/.25acp)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »
My favorite LGS has a two whole display cases of pre war and early post war, small caliber pistols. And handful of CZ 27's, Ortgies, Bauer/Fraser Baby Browings and a smattering of Spanish, Argentine and Eastern European pistols in various degrees of condition.

I'm trying to limit myself to better than VG+ condition. Original boxes and accessories are a plus and worth  a bit extra-- IMO.

The owner offered me two all-matching .22 caliber Rohm Revolvers  (a la John Hinckley jr.) one chrome one blued-- $100 for the pair.

But I had to Pass: the cylinder lock-ups were iffy at best, and he couldn't say if they worked or not as he had never attempted to test fire them.

I fully understand that with a saturday night special-- You get what you pay for, and  a working gun isn't always what you get. But I'm only in the market for all matching, fully functional pieces.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:33:53 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 01:18:50 PM »
I've seen bunches of them, but never broached the subject of getting or trying one of the off branded ones. I have always been a little leery of the quality and such, and to add to it, a friend tired to pawn a Raven 25acp off on me for a little bit of nothing, like it was hot, stolen or something price.....I kindly refused, but I found out later through a LEO friend, his uncle had done the deed and killed himself with it, I didn't say anything, and was so glad I walked away from it.

I have this Mauser 10/14 and a Cz27(which I would recommend :) ). My only 2 mouse guns/pocket pistols, never bought a commercial pocket gun till I got a S&W 380 Bodyguard.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 01:48:23 PM »
That's a sweet looking pistol. I'm not familiar with that one.

The CZ 27 is definitely on my list-- but not what I consider a mouse gun.

My wife's family is from Czechoslovakia-- escaped in 1969 on a tour bus trip to Vienna. Until the Iron curtain fell they had never returned.

She actually just got back from Czech Republic and Slovakia yesterday and brought me a lapel pin from a cool Motorcycle museum, and a book from the same museum on the history of Czech/Slovak arms manufacturing history.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:57:09 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »
Here's the 'Motorcycle factory" pin:

Yes, i understand that they made other things. But firearms are what they're best known for today.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
And here's the book...it's entirely in Czech though:

It's a complete history of the factories and sights with pics of the procduction lines (past and present) and apparently a write up of every firearme ever designed and produced by CZ.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 01:53:55 PM »
...some photos:

this snub nose would be a nice addition to the mouse collection--though I'm not sure if it's technically considered a mouse gun-- more like a rat:

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »
(I'm so close to 100 posts):

the top of my "to-do" list:

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »
 thumb1 thumb1 thumb1  drool2 Love me some CZ weapons.. Actually it seems if it's not old Mossberg or Marlin, or a Henry, I end up going towards a Cz made rifle if it's modern.

Are you going to try revolver pocket pistols as well.. I had my doubts on them when I got my first, but there are many interesting designs. The S&W LemonSqueezer is pretty neat, it can be a little large if you find a longer barrelled one.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 02:14:38 PM »
thumb1 thumb1 thumb1  drool2 Love me some CZ weapons.. Actually it seems if it's not old Mossberg or Marlin, or a Henry, I end up going towards a Cz made rifle if it's modern.

Are you going to try revolver pocket pistols as well.. I had my doubts on them when I got my first, but there are many interesting designs. The S&W LemonSqueezer is pretty neat, it can be a little large if you find a longer barrelled one.

I'm not really much of a revolver fan. I like them, yes. I have two S&W's (686+, model 10-8). But I'm into anything unique-- like that 590 ZKR in an it's original box with all the fixins (though the box pictured above looks more like it was made for a longer barreled pistol.

I'd like to get a Henry or Marlin lever gun in 30-06 one day-- on my list, but further down.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »
My only 2 mouse guns/pocket pistols, never bought a commercial pocket gun till I got a S&W 380 Bodyguard.

In the past year I've picked up two 380's-- a RM380 and a LCP2. Both great guns. I've pretty much given up on Remington anything-- their track record of duds and recalls doesn't warrant consideration for any of their recent offerings. But since the RM-380 is essentially the Rohrbaugh-- I got one. The LCP2 has a much better trigger, but I'm more accurate with the the RM380 (no explanation as to why).

With the new barrier blind, solid copper bullets (by Underwood and Lehigh) the .380 is worthy for CC. They feed well in both the LCP and the RM380-- but I've seen various reviews that they feed unreliably at best in the S&W 380 Bodyguard in particular and also the Walther (IIRC).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 02:39:58 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »

With the new barrier blind, solid copper bullets (by Underwood and Lehigh) the .380 is worthy for CC. They feed well in both the LCP and the RM380-- but I've seen various reviews that they feed unreliably at best in the S&W 380 Bodyguard in particular and also the Walther (IIRC).

I tried one box of Underwood, I don't remember which, as it was a while ago, it was all the local rage at a LGS.. I didn't have any issues, but I only shot 3 mags worth, usually I just carry Critical Defense, and play with WWB ammo. The box of Underwood I had, seemed hot, real hot, it might have even been +P ammo, which dealing with a simple light blowback pistol, it seemed to beat the little pistol and my hand to death, much worse on my hand than a Polish P64. I didn't notice this near as bad with the Hornady or even Speer GoldDot ammo. If I felt I was going to need that much hand sized heat, it's just as easy to lay the .380 down, strap up and grab my .357Sig, .357Mag or even a .44Mag. Yes, while they are much larger, I'm old school, sometimes there is just no replacement for displacement. :)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

I tried one box of Underwood, I don't remember which, as it was a while ago, it was all the local rage at a LGS.. I didn't have any issues, but I only shot 3 mags worth, usually I just carry Critical Defense, and play with WWB ammo. The box of Underwood I had, seemed hot, real hot, it might have even been +P ammo, which dealing with a simple light blowback pistol, it seemed to beat the little pistol and my hand to death, much worse on my hand than a Polish P64. I didn't notice this near as bad with the Hornady or even Speer GoldDot ammo. If I felt I was going to need that much hand sized heat, it's just as easy to lay the .380 down, strap up and grab my .357Sig, .357Mag or even a .44Mag. Yes, while they are much larger, I'm old school, sometimes there is just no replacement for displacement. :)

The Underwood is definitely much hotter. I think the +P was a Beta phase for Lehigh. They don't offer it anymore in +P and have since come out with a lighter 65grain option the Xtreme Defender.

Underwood however continues to produce both the 90gr and 65grain in +P-- which I find odd given that they produce 1200fps and 1400fps respectively and overpenenetrate consistently to 24--30inches. For comparison, Underwood's non+P offerings of the same bullets are 980fbs and 1300fps respectively. For a barrier blind .380-- that's ridiculous.
I didn't think it got much worse on the hand than the P64-- Mine is nice and minty, and accurate as hell. But even with shooting gloves, 50 rounds is as deep as i can go in one range visit.

I totally respect that many are comfortable with larger caliber carries. But, I like deep concealeability. For me, a mouse .380 (or even a .32) if its Lehigh ammo, is better than a .45 sitting at home in the safe. As I get older-- and rounder-- the bulk of larger caliber pistols is more difficult to cover up to my satisfaction.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 04:42:13 PM »

Underwood however continues to produce both the 90gr and 65grain in +P-- which I find odd given that they produce 1200fps and 1400fps respectively and overpenenetrate consistently to 24--30inches. For comparison, Underwood's non+P offerings of the same bullets are 980fbs and 1300fps respectively. For a barrier blind .380-- that's ridiculous.
I didn't think it got much worse on the hand than the P64-- Mine is nice and minty, and accurate as hell. But even with shooting gloves, 50 rounds is as deep as i can go in one range visit.

I totally respect that many are comfortable with larger caliber carries. But, I like deep concealeability. For me, a mouse .380 (or even a .32) if its Lehigh ammo, is better than a .45 sitting at home in the safe. As I get older-- and rounder-- the bulk of larger caliber pistols is more difficult to cover up to my satisfaction.

Sounds alot like they are reinventing the wheel, in the form of a shorter case with a slightly larger diameter bullet of the same weight, a x25 Tokarev, while slightly smaller is roughly the same, fast, light and just keeps going and tearing through about everything. 

And I hope that 988 quote is fps, and not ftlbs energy.. chuckles1

I have carried the P64 as well with just Silver Bear HPs..  chuckles1  Only other +P ammo I have tried was 500gr Buffalo Bore 45-70...nice to know if a large African game animal ever attacks...I'm good.  chuckles1

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
 :o rofl

That pearl handled Raven in the first post is exactly my first gun.... I was working at a Subway at the time and traded a six inch veggie and cheese and a six inch Cold Cut Combo for it in the bathroom.
Honest Injun.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »
:o rofl

That pearl handled Raven in the first post is exactly my first gun.... I was working at a Subway at the time and traded a six inch veggie and cheese and a six inch Cold Cut Combo for it in the bathroom.
Honest Injun.

:o
In the bathroom?  I am not going to ask for anymore details!   ;)   :)