Author Topic: Type53 import stamps?  (Read 2071 times)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Type53 import stamps?
« on: November 25, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »
Do the type53's generally have import stamps?

Ran across one a while back at a LGS with no import to be found ANYWHERE on the exposed metal. Not even the hint of an obscure CAI detectable on the barrel.

IIRC, it was tagged at $269. It is gone now.

ok. Goodnight.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Type53 import stamps?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
Mine does, but I have seen unpapered bringbacks without stamps.
Pretty much everything other than bringbacks should have a stamp on it...if it has been imported within the last fifty or so years...legally.

Mine is a particularly nasty dot matrix CAI stamp...the most abhorrent stamp on any of my guns. You could use it to grate Parmesan.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »
Both mine do.. most of the ones I've seen with out we're said to be bring backs, documented or other wise. I believe a few were bought in sometime during the 80s, they could have very early small import stamps.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
Both mine do.. most of the ones I've seen with out we're said to be bring backs, documented or other wise. I believe a few were bought in sometime during the 80s, they could have very early small import stamps.

The only reason I could justify having two is if I could swap my 91/30 for another...my T53 was just an excuse to use up store credit I got for my Tommy gun knock off....with my 64 spiker being the catch of the day for the trade....lil bugger is a tack driving shoulder whalluping beast.  First gun I was satisfied with having only one. :)

Somehow, I have managed to restrain myself from getting an Archangel for it. Even for a temporary bubba, I think it would be a disservice to it's inherent badassedness.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 03:47:09 AM »
I have one from the Albanian import batch with a large "CAI Georgia VT" import stamp on the receiver. Makes me wonder why these got the big receiver stamp but the Type 56s imported at, or near, the same time got a more discreet stamp on the barrel.

My other is a probable bring back, no papers, but 1960 production, has the look, with no import stamps. It's posted in the Mosin section. You may have seen one of these.

I recall (not 100% certain) that Navy Arms was the sole importer of these prior to the Albanian batch. They often used a very discreet N.A. Co. Stamp about 2mm high at the wood line on the receiver (typically on the right side). Quite easy to miss and could have been slightly below the wood line. Many of these were in very good condition.