Author Topic: Which optics setup on a non-iron sighted rifle in 7.62x39  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Which optics setup on a non-iron sighted rifle in 7.62x39
« on: March 26, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »
Just curious on opinions out there. So, here's the scenario;

If you have a rifle chambered in 7.62x39 (can be bolt action, a modified SKS/AK, an AR platform, or a single shot break open) that is optics only, meaning it has no iron sights and none are going to be put on it, which option would you rather have?

Option 1: Variable power scope with the low power range at 1 (IE: 1-5x24 Illuminated) or,
Option 2: higher variable power (IE: 3-9x32 Illuminated) with a rail to house a micro/compact holographic reflex red dot for close up shots. The red dot is included in this option.

Remember, these are your only 2 options...And...this IS for posterity sake so please...be honest. rofl2
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:10:39 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline teddybear1848

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
Re: Which optics setup on a non-iron sighted rifle in 7.62x39
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 05:25:04 PM »
wouldnt this be entirely subjective on what you plan on using it for?
"Is that actually a bucket of cat litter or is it 7.62 Nato?" - My better half.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 05:56:28 PM »
wouldnt this be entirely subjective on what you plan on using it for?

Well, partially yes, maybe. Everything is subjective when you have options and there is not really an absolute '1 way is correct' answer.
3-9x gets you out there further and you have the red dot for up close, but if the battery dies you lose close up capability.
1-5x?? type can be used up close even if battery fails as long as there is enough light, but doesn't reach out as far.
BUT, how far out do you need in a scope for 7.62x39? Thus my little opinion poll
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 12:29:34 PM »
you can get a 1MOA red dot good out to 100+ yds , with red dots its all about the MOA of the dot  , a 1 MOA although great at 100 yards because the dot appears to paint 1 inch of the target  , up close it would cover i believe (check the math) about 8 inches  , on the reverse a 3 MOA would have a dot  good for  closer ranges but by the time you take it out to 100 yds its covering a good portion of your target

just curious , what x39 rifle are we talking about that would utilize a 3x power scope?
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 12:42:59 PM »
Given the range of 7.62x39 I'd opt for 3-9x, which is actually pretty good for most "general" use, in my opinion. I'd use see through rings for iron sights instead of extra dots. 

EDIT: I just saw "non-iron sighted" in the topic title, so never mind the rings.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 07:27:32 PM »
you can get a 1MOA red dot good out to 100+ yds , with red dots its all about the MOA of the dot  , a 1 MOA although great at 100 yards because the dot appears to paint 1 inch of the target  , up close it would cover i believe (check the math) about 8 inches  , on the reverse a 3 MOA would have a dot  good for  closer ranges but by the time you take it out to 100 yds its covering a good portion of your target

just curious , what x39 rifle are we talking about that would utilize a 3x power scope?

Any and all, it is the ballistics of the round that count. For example, I hunt with an SKS and where I have hunted in years past, I can shoot out to 300 + yards, but granted most shots are anywhere from 25 out to 150 yds.
Regardless think on the ballistics and capabilities of the cartridge because, regardless of the type of rifle(Semi, bolt, or Single shot) they are all going to have similar range based on the ballistics. Which takes me back to my question and little opinion poll. :)

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 09:54:17 PM »
A red dot for fast action moving shots otherwise a 1-5x scope is more than plenty for hunting with the 7.62x39. The 3-9x is way overkill imho.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 11:21:27 PM »
"If" me.. I'd probably find a decent 4x shotgun or maybe a 3x7 slug scope and throw on it. I'd view it as it ain't gotta be nothing fancy, it's just gotta work for xxx yards. Yeah, I deviated a tad...  :P      Besides.... I don't think I've killed anything with a x39 other than a groundhog, so realistically me scoping one has no benefit. Deer.... Well, I just use old faithfull...a 45-70....
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 11:29:46 PM »
"If" me.. I'd probably find a decent 4x shotgun or maybe a 3x7 slug scope and throw on it. I'd view it as it ain't gotta be nothing fancy, it's just gotta work for xxx yards. Yeah, I deviated a tad...  :P      Besides.... I don't think I've killed anything with a x39 other than a groundhog, so realistically me scoping one has no benefit. Deer.... Well, I just use old faithfull...a 45-70....

Killing a deer or hunting is not necessarily the pursuit here, but sticking to the 2 options is. It could also very easily be used for home protection, taking out zombies, or whatever situation that might arise.

But that aside, are you then saying you don't believe having visibility through the optics at the same vision level as your eyesight is important?(IE: 1 power capability)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 12:28:09 AM »

Killing a deer or hunting is not necessarily the pursuit here, but sticking to the 2 options is. It could also very easily be used for home protection, taking out zombies, or whatever situation that might arise.

But that aside, are you then saying you don't believe having visibility through the optics at the same vision level as your eyesight is important?(IE: 1 power capability)

Me, personally.... not applicable to every Tom, Dick and Harry.... I don't typically do well with scopes at close range i.e. under 100 yds, everything up until the last 10-15 years was open sight/peep sight/aperture target sight, because thats what my Marine Colonial grandfather and Army father beat in my head, if you can't hit it that close with an open sight, a scope probably won't help much. Now, I own hand cannons with scopes...and in a way, I wished at times they were open sight.

To me, "IF" this x39 weapon in question was "my" only choice, and if my only option was to scope it and I had to have it that bad for home protection, taking out zombies, or whatever situation that might arise, stuck in an urban environment, I'd suck it up and put a 1x or a 2x scope on it and figure it out, but use low power more or less simply for the field of view. If I were a rural area where you could go easily beyond a 100yds.... then I'd choose a scope with say 3x7, there is where I see benefit of multiplier for distance, but still get the decent field of view at a lower power.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem