Author Topic: Chinese Type 56 SKS & Golden Tiger Ammunition at 50 to 400 yds  (Read 3913 times)

Offline rjinga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Chinese Type 56 SKS & Golden Tiger Ammunition at 50 to 400 yds
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »
This was my first trip to my gun club since I got my SKS rifle.  I put out paper targets on the target backers at 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds.  Everything was shot using the standard iron sights; no scope or optic. 

This target [17” x 28”] was at 50 yds.  I was standing, and would raise the rifle and fire snap-shots (1st time using this type of shooting position, with this rifle, at that distance).  I had the rear sight set on the battle zero position.  I got all 10 shots on the paper, and on the target.

This target [23” x 35”] was at 100 yds.  I was standing and firing offhand (1st time using that type of shooting position, with this rifle, at that distance).  I had the rear sight set on the 100 meter setting and (tried to) hold on the center of the target.  I got all 10 shots on the paper, and nine on the target.

This target [23” x 35”] was at 200 yds.  I was seated and resting my elbows on the bench (1st time ever shooting this rifle at this distance).  I had the rear sight set on the 200 meter setting.  In the first string of 10, I held on the center of the target and I got five shots on the paper, and four on the target.  On the second string, I held the top of the front post at the bottom of the target and got nine shots on the paper, and eight on the target.

This target [24” x 45”] was at 300 yds.  I was seated and I used my custom (two pieces of board, ammo box, and tube sock filled with airsoft BBs) bench rest (1st time ever shooting this rifle at this distance).  In the first string of 10, I held on the center of the target and I got seven shots on the paper, and four on the target.  On the second string, I held the top of the front post at the bottom of the target and I got seven shots on the paper, and five on the target.

This target [24” x 45”] was at 400 yds.  I was seated and I used my custom (two pieces of board, ammo box, and tube sock filled with airsoft BBs) bench rest again (1st time ever shooting this rifle at this distance).  In the first string of 10, I held on the center of the target and I got zero shots on the paper, and zero on the target (that’s why there’s no photo).  On the second string, I held the top of the front post at the bottom of the target and I got six shots on the paper, and three on the target.

This steel silhouette [15.5” x 25.5” (from the top of the head)] was at 400 yds (look for red circle in perspective photo).  I was seated and I used my custom (two pieces of board, ammo box, and tube sock filled with airsoft BBs) bench rest again (1st time ever, etc.).  I shot the first string of 10 without a spotter and got three hits.  On the second string, I had a spotter calling my shots, and I got 12 out of 20.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Chinese Type 56 SKS & Golden Tiger Ammunition at 50 to 400 yds
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:19:11 PM »
I like it!     Pushing out them targets is fun.   8)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 12:00:57 AM »
Great shooting on the 400 yard steels for your first time out this far!  I'd take 12/20 (60%) 400 yard "minute of man" shots any day of the week and twice on Sundays!  Most excellent indeed!  thumb1 

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 12:24:49 AM »
Very impressive man  thumb1 What kind of ammo were you using? weight and fmj, sp, etc?   Really good shooting rjinga. Looks like a fun day at the range.

So....what do you think of our favorite old warhorse?
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline rjinga

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 01:18:42 AM »
I like it!     Pushing out them targets is fun.   8)

Challenging and fun!

Great shooting on the 400 yard steels for your first time out this far!  I'd take 12/20 (60%) 400 yard "minute of man" shots any day of the week and twice on Sundays!  Most excellent indeed!  thumb1 

Thanks.  I was talking with another gun club member (who'd regretted selling his SKS years ago) and he said something to the effect of "I wouldn't want to be 400 yds downrange from you with that rifle."

Very impressive man  thumb1 What kind of ammo were you using? weight and fmj, sp, etc?   Really good shooting rjinga. Looks like a fun day at the range.

Thanks, and it was!  The ammo is Golden Tiger, 124 gr, lead core, steel cased, FMJBT.

So....what do you think of our favorite old warhorse?

I'm in total agreement with what I read and hear so many other people say on YouTube:  "This is just a really fun gun to shoot!"

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 01:44:57 AM »

I'm in total agreement with what I read and hear so many other people say on YouTube:  "This is just a really fun gun to shoot!"

clap1 Yeah buddy, Glad to hear it  thumb1 Has anyone warned you yet on how these puppies tend to multiple quite rapidly? cuz...sounds like that's about to happen to ya. Don't worry, just hang on and enjoy the ride, Plenty of enablers here to point out the many, many different ways to rationalize getting many, many....many more :))

RM and  quite a few others always sing praise about Golden Tiger. I'm ashamed to say I haven't had a chance to try any myself. Proofs in the pudding  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »
Nice shooting! Like RM said, I'd take 60% on target at 400yds with 7.62x39mm factory ammo any time  thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »
nice shooting and cool club. don't have anything like that around here, neat.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!