Author Topic: NY compliant AK-47  (Read 13558 times)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
NY compliant AK-47
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »
So my brother, who lives in NY, wants an AK-47. NY is one of the most strict anti gun states, and there are many laws concerning gun ownership.

One of the challenges of owning an AR or AK in NY, is that they are classified "assault weapons". To own one, they must meet strict requirements. They are as follows:

- 10 round magazine limit
- NO pistol grips
- NO thumbhole stocks
- NO adjustable stocks
- NO forward vertical grips
- NO bayonet attachment
- NO threaded barrels, flash hiders, or silencers

Since an AK-47 has just about all of those features, you can't own an out of the box gun.

Since this will be his first AK (and his first rifle), I picked up a nice 1973 Romanian WASR-10/63, which is also a late CAI conversion (doesn't have the common issues of the older conversions).

My brother likes the more modern style black furniture, so I sold the original wood to a local that I have traded with before. I replaced the stock and foregrip with black Magpul MOE parts... really nice as Magpul always is.

Popped in a new 10 round double stack mag.

I milled off the wings of the bayo lug, chamfered the edges, and blued it.

I pinned and welded the factory compensator. From what I've looked into, this is an allowed solution, as it no longer gives access to the threads and the stock AK compensator does not count as a flash hider.

To solve the issue of no pistol grip...I custom made a spur grip. There is a company that makes a plastic spur grip for NY AR15s, and you can use an AR to AK grip adapter to use it, but IMO it looks like crap. I got a nice piece of ebony from LC, and I machined it all up nice in the mill to fit the gun and the shape I wanted, and then did some round smoothing on the belt sander. It attaches to the stock grip block with a nice stainless countersunk bolt.

Gripping the gun with the spur grip, feels just like gripping a regular style stock, like on an SKS.

Here are some pics of the grip, and the finished rifle :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: NY compliant AK-47
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
Nice..  thumb1

I bet some fine sanding will hide the wood seam an good bit. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 02:50:30 AM »
Great work! So sorry an AK has to become something different like that, but you did a fantastic job.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:37:07 PM »
Just a quick update.... my brother went to the range today, for the first time since returning to NY with his AK.

As soon as he took it out and set it up on the bench, he said there was a lot of eyes on it, and he saw two of the rangemasters whispering to each other.

About 2 minutes into shooting it, he was tapped on the shoulder.....by an ATF agent. The agent proceeded to look over the entire rifle, and then told my brother that's the best looking NY compliant AK he's ever seen. My brother then enjoyed the rest of his range outing :)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 11:59:57 PM »
Man 2 minutes into shooting and ATF pounces on him!  Must be some kind of record!  chuckles1

Glad to see that it passed muster Sal.  It did indeed come out really nice.  thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:38:10 AM »
Didn't take the KGB comrades long to show up. Good job Power!  clap1

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:07:03 AM »
Very nice! I am jealous, that would still not be legal here in Konnecticut because even though it has no evil features it is still an AK which is banned by name (as is an AR).
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.