Author Topic: Tell me about this No-name blaster.  (Read 418 times)

Offline Bird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Tell me about this No-name blaster.
« on: January 02, 2024, 09:46:46 PM »
This SKS came to me recently from a friend’s estate and it’s somewhat confusing to me because there are no manufacturers stampings.   It is a very clean, well cared for, all numbers matching rifle.  I guess I have two questions for the experts out there…What the heck is it, and could you give me an estimate of its value?

Importer’s stamp clearly states CAI but that’s about the only identifying stamps that I can find.

Any help on this one?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Tell me about this No-name blaster.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 10:21:17 PM »
By the SN and no arsenal stamp I'd say it's a 1988 build made from left over parts, thus the no arsenal stamp. Evidenced by the short collar threaded barrel and milled FCG as well as other variances.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 04:14:54 AM »
I agree with Greatguns, it was assembled in China in 1988 for the commercial market using old spare parts or scrubbed/recycled parts. Looks to be in great condition!

Probably worth around $400-500. I’d think more toward the middle to lower end of that range, since it doesn’t have a Type 56 (五六式) or arsenal marking, but is in very good condition.

Offline Bird

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 07:14:36 AM »
It’s a shooter too. I remember shooting with my friend years ago. We were busting plastic, water-filled quart oil bottles at 200 yards with iron sights.  shooting1
He passed on Dec. 18th from heart complications and I now have the unenviable task of brokering his firearms for his widow.

I’m certainly not an SKS expert, that’s why I seek help here.  I had a gut feeling that its value was between 400-500 but I wanted to be certain about that.  I didn’t want to make a mistake and possibly cheat her out of money if it were more valuable than that.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 12:09:13 PM »
I’m not surprised that it’s a great shooter. It appears to be in excellent condition. Considering Century Arms International imported it at least 30 years ago, it was clearly maintained and stored well. thumb1

Sorry to hear about your friend, and so near the holidays is an extra rough time. It’s good of you to be so conscientious in helping your friend’s wife. Nice to have another quality individual hanging out here. :)

If you have other firearms to buy or sell, and you have an account on GunBroker, my normal procedure for assessing current national market prices for a firearm  is to:
—Click on  “Advanced Search”
—Select the “completed Items” tab
—Enter search terms “SKS Chinese” in this case, and click “Search”
—Click on “Quick Filters” then from the drop down menu select “Bid Count: High to Low”

The final step sorts 0 bid “completed sales” to the bottom of the list since those are unsold items with a high starting price or other factor that failed to attract any buyers.

Offline Bird

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 01:12:44 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I’ll try the GB search.  Is there any credibility to the True Gun Value site?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 02:22:43 PM »
Yes, the true gun value site is also a good source to pull from. Probably a little more realistic on pricing than GunBroker as it brings in other avenues of sales beyond what sells on GB.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bird

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 02:58:38 PM »
Looking on GB, I saw one of the Chinese 2.75x scopes that sold for $666.66 with 29 bids!   :o

I acquired one of these scopes complete with the box with the rifle that is documented in my thread, “Tell me about my Navy Blaster”.  Hard to believe that those little things can attract that kind of attention and money.