Author Topic: Farmer's Friend missing scope and mount, value? **PICS**  (Read 4016 times)

Offline jjjxlr8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Farmer's Friend missing scope and mount, value? **PICS**
« on: September 01, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
I came a cross a pretty uncommon Navy Arms import SKS "Farmer's Friend" but unfortunately it is missing it's scope and mount.  The rifle is brand new, still in the preservative and all of the pieces and paperwork are still in the crate.  The eyepiece for the scope is still wrapped up in the Navy Arms logo paper.  It's a pretty neat package but without the scope and mount what's a fair price?

Anyone have an extra Chinese 4x32 scope and/or mount for one of these?  :)

Some pics for your enjoyment!  The paper work is interesting.  Besides the Scope instructions in both English and Chinese, there is a two page letter from what appears to be one of the Navy Arms employees (owner?) who visited the exporter to investigate these rifles.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:05:05 PM by jjjxlr8 »

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Farmer's Friend missing scope and mount, value? **PICS**
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »
That's a cool find. I have no idea what it would fetch, but looks valuable. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:08:59 PM »
just beautiful, loving the box and everything.  thumb1 a shame about the missing scope and mount.  cry1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »
It's pretty neat.  The box and paperwork are what sold me on it.  I really don't collect commercial stuff like this but it needed to be rescued.  I also didn't realize that the mounts are numbered to the rifles so this one will likely never be quite complete even if I manage to find a substitute scope and mount.  I suppose it will make good trade material if nothing else!

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »
I always thought that the Farmer's Friend was a cool package. Is the receiver scrubbed, or does it still have the arsenal code on it? If so, arsenal /106\? Is it within the abt. 800 gun SN list as listed on the SKS Guide? It looks like it has the phosphate-looking finish on the bolt carrier like the /416\ PS guns use.

Very nice acquisition! The original mount is out there. Hopefully you'll get lucky and reunite them or at least find another mount to use.

firstchoice

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 11:34:36 PM »
That's a great pickup jjx!  I bet the missing optic and mount pull a couple hundred off the price, but the transit case and paperwork are great to have.  I bet that eye piece is a $50+ item by itself though, those things always get lost.  It may be this incomplete set is worth more parted out (transit case, paperwork, eyepiece, bipod, + rifle) than it is together as sad as that makes me.

Power Surge is the one to ask about value, I haven't tracked the commercial guns in a good while.  I'd guess $700 as is, $900 with the scope and mount.

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 01:28:28 AM »
A complete one sold for $1370 last month on Gunbroker but without the scope and mount I'm sure it cuts the value quite a bit.  I'm going to see if a G43 mount will fit.  If so, a reproduction G43 mount might be worth getting.

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
I always thought that the Farmer's Friend was a cool package. Is the receiver scrubbed, or does it still have the arsenal code on it? If so, arsenal /106\? Is it within the abt. 800 gun SN list as listed on the SKS Guide? It looks like it has the phosphate-looking finish on the bolt carrier like the /416\ PS guns use.

Very nice acquisition! The original mount is out there. Hopefully you'll get lucky and reunite them or at least find another mount to use.

firstchoice

Receiver is marked with /106\.  Serial number is 111309.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »
Thats a cool friend indeed to have : )  Good Luck on the search for the scope .. Grease Monkey probably has 1 or 10 extra mounts and scopes for that thing so dont give up hope yet : )  Thanks for sharing.

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »
Does the mount for the Sharpshooter model fit the Farmers Friend rail?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:45:27 AM by jjjxlr8 »

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 11:57:31 PM »
That's a truly awesome score. Especially with all the paperwork. That's usually long gone.

It is a shame about the missing scope and mount. The mount is the big deal. Navy Arms models were modified stateside, and like with other NA models, the parts were custom fit as the rifles were built. That's why the mounts were serialized to the gun. Because you can take two Farmer's Friends, and the mounts won't swap.

The Type 86 scopes are pretty hard to find as well, and the FF eyepiece is also very rare. It's actually better that you have the eyepiece and are missing the scope, than the other way around.

As far as value.... it really depends on the collector looking. Complete FFs have been bringing over $1200 for about a year. Incomplete rifles, bring more in the $800 range.

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 12:19:16 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback!

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
If you hear some kind of strange sound coming from the general direction of Montana....that is me coveting your eyepiece....pay it no mind.

Very nice pick up there...jelly.

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 05:48:53 PM »
Actually since I have very little chance of getting the correct scope and mount, I may end up selling the eyepiece.  Doesn't do any good without a scope!  :)

Offline Function

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 05:26:37 PM »
Does anyone have or knows someone that may have the scope lens cap for a Farmers Friend  4x32 scope? Thanks in advance.