Author Topic: Identification Help  (Read 762 times)

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Identification Help
« on: November 27, 2020, 11:59:46 AM »
Hey all!

I will get some pictures up, if I can figure out how, it has been a while.  But I got a rifle last year on a whim, shoved it in the cabinet and really haven't done much with it since.  However, I got it out today to look at the arsenal mark, it doesn't have one.  Here are some other things I noticed.
1. It is a Pin Barrel
2. It doesn't have a serial number on the receiver cover, magazine or the trigger assembly
3. It has a spike bayonet that is riveted in.
4. The only thing on the receiver is SKS 7.62X39 China - and below that KSI. PAS. CA
5. It does have a serial on the bolt carrier, bolt, stock and receiver.
6. There is a 92 and then a space and then the serial. And that is located near the back of the receiver

Outside of that I cannot find any other markings on it.

As I said I will get some pic loaded but appreciate any help.
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Identification Help
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »
I have one like that as well. First here is a link to upload pics that a lot of guys are now using. https://imgbb.com/  Use "do not autodelete" and then BBCode full linked or BBCode thumbnail linked.

1988 – 1994: Misc guns of various styles, usually w/o an arsenal stamp and sometimes assembled from scrubbed parts, having a unique 88 thru 93 prefix to the serial number.  The parts of these guns may come from any time period, but they were (re)assembled and (re)numbered exclusively for export. Now, we know that certain Chinese Type 56 guns imported in the late 80’s through early 90’s sport a very distinct 88-94 S/N prefix as shown below.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 12:40:50 PM »
Thangs GG!  For both, Here are some pics to test.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 12:44:53 PM »
Yup, GG has it  thumb1 Scrubbed SKS refurbished, or assembled from parts, in 1992 prior to export to the US. Not uncommon for those late year SKSs to have fewer serialized parts.

Just saw the uploaded pics while typing...Looks like a cast front sight base/bayonet lug

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 07:15:56 PM »
Many of those 'commercial' scrubbed guns are in excellent shape and are fine weapons.  Looks like a good one agrace!  thumb1

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 08:37:44 PM »
Thanks, this one is in really good shape.  Stock and metal all look good. I haven't fired it yet.  I got it on a deal, just offered the gun shop $250.00 cash out the door, and he took it.  I was a bit shocked he did, but I grabbed it and ran. :)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 11:42:02 PM »
That would have been an absolute steal in 2010, borderline ludicrous in 2019. You could probably get 3x that if you put it up on gunbroker today. Very nice indeed!  thumb1 dance2