Author Topic: Gas tube lever  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Gas tube lever
« on: June 11, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »
I have one rifle, I have fought with it for years, I found the issue after I had bought it, the sneaky little devil bat1... figured I'd see what the general consensus is on how to fix this issue, before I unleash my inner retard on it...

This is a representation of the offending part.. the one in question is a Chinese. (sure, laugh :)) like you never had anything broke thats stamped.. Made in China)

The lever has broken away or stripped from the shaft that rotates in the rear sight housing, this is the same shaft locks the gas tube in place. Only with this particular one, the shaft will not rotate when the lever is flipped upwards. I can get it apart with some fiddling with a small screw driver, going back together is.....well special and requires a few highly choice words.

I can braze or silver solder the lever to the shaft, making them one piece, I even considered epoxy.  Using the brazing/silver solder it wont look right given the goldish/silver material and it most likely won't reblue, epoxy, I'm not fond of, usually it would hold one time, then fall away. Welding was possibly another option I considered for a hot minute... 

Also... I have no idea on what the heat involved in brazing/soldering/welding would do to these small parts, they are not overly critical high stress points, so there may be no effect, short of maybe some metal temper changes and maybe some major ugly discoloration in the general area from heat, up to and including the rear sight base.

Finding another lever and shaft crossed my mind...but then it would be used, not really a problem, the issue is the opposite side is swaged....expanded to hold it in the rear sight base, yet allow shaft rotation... swaging the same metal twice if I found a used one, I would imagine might not work out well as the metal is now weakened, from being swaged once originally, then removed and reinstalled a second time.. I think it would be a crap shoot if it were going to hold.  think1  I guess if I were going that far as to replace it..just braze the part while its out and reinstall it.

I've looked for answers some myself in the past, so it must not be a very common issue, as I couldn't find much of anything on the take down lever breaking or stripping away from the shaft.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Gas tube lever
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 01:43:00 PM »
There was a guy just recently with no takers on eBay, one of these that had been properly unpeened and removed.  The seller's description was intense enough to make me believe that it really was reuseable.

My DB is also a little twatty in this regard...I was half tempted to get it...but really didn't want the hassle of trying to replace it.  Every now and then there are Canadian gun rapists selling entire gas blocks that you could remove one yourself....again, I haven't been that pissed off at the DB to want to fight it.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
I think I'd pull that whole cam/lever assy. from the gun in order to do a proper job.  As far as I know, the lever is held on to the cam with only a simple rivet-like joint.  If you can get the assy. out of the gun, you can set about reforming that rivet either with a hammer or even get that sucker into a hydraulic press and press it tight again making sure it is clocked correlt with respect to the flat on the cam.  You'll probably have to have a small anvil that sits in the hollow on the back side to avoid flaring out that side prematurely (before you reinstall it back into the SKS).

I'd think taking it out and reswaging it wouldn't be that difficult of a thing to do.  You're not moving that much material either way and that wall thickness can't be more than 0.050" or so.  For reinstallation, I bet a ball bearing and a c-clamp would do it.  Heck if you were ambitious, you might be able to get an anvil in there and reform the riveted side w/o even taking it out of the gun.   thumb1

The riveted portion comes in many different looks from round heads to flat and big buttons to little, but they are all just pressed in place and not welded or brazed as far as I know:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:51:24 PM by running-man »

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
You might try this. Don't know if it will work though. Use a portable torch with MAPP gas (it's hooter) and heat the lever hot enough to melt the "silver solder and the bar. Solder and pray it holds. Be sure you use acid core solder. The 'other' stuff is used for electronics parts soldering And likely won't stick. Be careful not to solder the lever and the bar to the rifle. Let us know if it works/holds/I ruined your rifle.
Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 03:29:05 PM »
You might try this. Don't know if it will work though. Use a portable torch with MAPP gas (it's hooter) and heat the lever hot enough to melt the "silver solder and the bar. Solder and pray it holds. Be sure you use acid core solder. The 'other' stuff is used for electronics parts soldering And likely won't stick. Be careful not to solder the lever and the bar to the rifle. Let us know if it works/holds/I ruined your rifle.
Marcus

I don't have a MAPP gas setup.. just good old oxy/acetylene and several sized brazing ends. I wouldn't waste time with lead solder, thats for water plumbing or electronics...but... I do have a bunch of silver solder from doing ThermoKing/Carrier reefer unit work and repairs over the years. Sweating the lever back on the shaft without totally removing it could be done...with some major dis-coloration of the parts..

I may attempt to go on and fix the toad when I get home... for more than a day and a half  ::), I guess worst case.. scrap steel is about .20-.30 a pound.  thumb1

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 07:16:03 PM »
I guess nobody remembers my removal and assembly sticky about this part.   Its removable... maybe once or twice. 

Get an entire rear sight block and fix it right.  I'll show you how to swap just the lever.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 05:09:43 PM »
Where's that post LC?  I remember you talking about pulling one of these but didn't realize you posted a sticky!  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 06:40:23 PM »
Where's that post LC?  I remember you talking about pulling one of these but didn't realize you posted a sticky!  thumb1

RM... If it was a sticky posted....wouldn't it be stuck?  :))

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »
Twas on an evil board.     Long gone now.   :))

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »
You just press the darn thing out from the left side using a small enough diameter punch or (round metal object) that allows the flared material to pass between it and the housing.  The flared portion will compress down to a smaller diameter as it passes through the housing.  Remove both, take the good one and install it into the housing on the rifle. Lay the right side on a solid surface taking care to avoid the tab on the lever, and flare out the left side using a ball bearing or a metal object having a steep angle conical shape head.

So easy a cave-monkey can do it.   :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »

So easy a cave-monkey can do it.   :)

I "might" try it.. when I get around to finding it, then I may decide. Depends on if it pisses me off again, then I will decide to either return the favor or just beat it in to bunches of tiny pieces like I usually do something broke that was made in China.

I have my doubts on Chinese steel flexing with out breaking, I mean they had issues back in the day with rice field metals. :)

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »
Oh lookie.....    already removed and ready to go.    rofl

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775479463

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 10:14:24 PM »
Oh, lookie, future Chinese range gong.  rofl

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 10:40:07 PM »
Meh, your right!

Send it to me....  Ill even pay shipping.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »
I'll send it free...but damn, shipping with insurance to Texas runs about a $1000. It be cheaper if I lighten it with some .338 diameter holes in it before I ship it.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 11:29:40 PM »
I'll send it free...but damn, shipping with insurance to Texas runs about a $1000. It be cheaper if I lighten it with some .338 diameter holes in it before I ship it.

Pics or you lie

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »

Pics or you lie

Pay my shipping charge, and it shall be done and posted for all the world to see, followed by delivery via next day air to the shop of your choice. I will wrap it in purple velvet and hang a rose out the barrel before I box it thumb1

I will even splurge....hemorrhage the 85bucks at the local crack shop on a box of Nosler Trophy Grade ammo  for the occasion. Nothing but the best :)

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 12:23:15 AM »
Oh, lookie, future Chinese range gong.  rofl

This...   is what I am referring to.  I quoted the wrong post.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 01:09:13 AM »
Oh lookie.....    already removed and ready to go.    rofl

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775479463

That seller is precisely word for word who I was talking about selling this probably exact item on eBay with no takers...

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 01:21:12 AM »
Only one I see for sale so I guess he has a monopoly.    :))

Prolly be cheaper to find an entire RSB somewhere.