Author Topic: Does anyone reload the hornady 3140 bullets  (Read 2517 times)

Offline lostinspace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Does anyone reload the hornady 3140 bullets
« on: August 24, 2020, 10:00:15 AM »
Does anyone here reload the 7.62x39 with the hornady 3140 projectiles?  Wondering what powder you use and what amount you use in your loads.  Probably going to use these for wild pig hunting when I retire in a couple of years.  Only need something decently accurate to about 100 yards with the SKS

Offline IceCat1

• Newber
Re: Does anyone reload the hornady 3140 bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 07:45:33 PM »
Does anyone here reload the 7.62x39 with the hornady 3140 projectiles?  Wondering what powder you use and what amount you use in your loads.  Probably going to use these for wild pig hunting when I retire in a couple of years.  Only need something decently accurate to about 100 yards with the SKS

I’m loading some up now with the H4198. 10 Ea. From the starting load to the 24.0 gr. I used the WLR primer for 50 rounds. I’m going to do 50 more the same way but with the CCI 34 primer and CFE Black using data from the Hodgdon web site.

Obviously I haven’t shot any of these yet but I did some  spire point Sierra pro hunter ones awhile back that weren’t very accurate. I think the point was taking on a ding from auto loading. I have a 59/66 so these next ones I’ll turn off the gas and go single shot.

Got a few pics from the Hornady book for you.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 08:51:41 PM »
Both Hodgden and Accurate have on line data.  Hodgden sells theirs, Winchester and IMR.  The Accurate powders site let's you download their reloading list.

Offline JorgeSKS

• Live free or die trying!
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 09:14:06 PM »
Any accuracy issues with them being .310 diameter and not .311?

Offline IceCat1

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 10:26:22 PM »

I asked that question before and never really got an answer. I’ve heard that there are accuracy issues with .308 in the SKS. If you slug the bore of your particular rifle, you’ll know more about the exact bore size of it. I have a yugo 59/66 and have heard the bore on them can go as high as .314. I have not slugged mine cuz I’m well, a slug sometimes.   :)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 11:44:22 PM »
I have not slugged mine cuz I’m well, a slug sometimes.   :)

Aren't we all?
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline JorgeSKS

• Live free or die trying!
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 10:11:12 AM »

I asked that question before and never really got an answer. I’ve heard that there are accuracy issues with .308 in the SKS. If you slug the bore of your particular rifle, you’ll know more about the exact bore size of it. I have a yugo 59/66 and have heard the bore on them can go as high as .314. I have not slugged mine cuz I’m well, a slug sometimes.   :)

I just looked into them a little closer...  They state they are in fact .311 diameter,  I guess the only possible issues would be feeding issues with the soft point, maybe.  Regardless I ordered some to try out.  whistle12