Author Topic: shooting norinco sks without gas piston  (Read 3127 times)

Offline eajonesyk2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
shooting norinco sks without gas piston
« on: December 12, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »
I am getting ready to hit the range with my chinese built sks. Has anybody here shot their sks without the gas piston installed and suffered any ill effects? I want to be able to operate the bolt manually to save my brass and open up my reloading options.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: shooting norinco sks without gas piston
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »
Welcome to the boards!  thumb1

You should be ok, make sure you wear a good set of safety glasses though.  Depending on the ammo you might get a bit of soot down the gas tube, on your op rod face, and leaking out of various joints that typically wouldn't see the combustion products.  If using M67, make sure to throughly clean all areas inside and outside that gas tube to keep corrosion at bay. 

Offline eajonesyk2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »
thanks running-man

I blew through 70 rounds and no problems with anything blowing back on me and it worked like a charm. I might pull the gas tube and check for crud before next outing. Defeating the semi-auto function will really open up my options for lower power cast bullet loads. It will make this rifle much more versatile.   

I shot some herters steel case fmj today and had one split more than half way down the case. I have shot lots of steel case ammo in ak style rifles and never noticed this before. Hopefully it doesn't indicate a problem with rifle?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:43:20 PM »
You may find it hard to extract the castings manually because the casing has swelled.  Likely get worse the more lacquer coated rounds you run through it. 

Split casing is the ammo, not the gun.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:52:07 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.