Author Topic: New from Minnesota  (Read 2815 times)

Offline El_Cid_in_training

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
New from Minnesota
« on: August 29, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
Hello everyone, this font seems huge, so if it is I apologize. I recently purchased a used SKS (probably spent a bit too much) and have grown to like it more and more, but haven't taken it shooting yet. I enjoy a number of outdoor activities as well as woodworking and cleaning guns. I probably clean my gins more than I shoot them because Minneapolis isn't the ideal place for finding ranges to shoot long guns. That being said I really look forward to learning more about my gun. Here's what I have already figured out. It's not bubba'd from what I can tell (all parts match). It's Chinese and came from arsenal 26. It was made in 1966 (unless I did the math wrong), and was imported by KSI. That's where it gets confusing. The same stamp that has the importers name, also states (in English, not Chinese) "made in China by Norinco". So, what I'm wondering is whether KSI simply bought from Norinco, or whether Norinco actually assembled the rifle with Military factory parts, or some third thing. I'd also like to learn about how someone might use stripper clips in combat. The bolt seems smooth, and the cleaning kit in the back is covered in cosmoline (I think) unfortunately it's missing the actual cleaning rod, and no bayonet is present. The wood is in decent shape and nothing seems off about the rifle. It came with the metal oil canister and a chicom chest rig. I would attach an image, but I can't quite figure it out.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: New from Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »
Welcome from an expatriate Minnesotan, living in Washington State!

Sounds like you have an 11th year of production, hence 11 million serial number Jianshe Arsenal (/26\) Type 56. It was exported as-is or refurbished (can't say which without photos) by Norinco after formation of that Chinese corporation in 1980. KSI was the legal US importer.

You can use the "Upload image to post" link below the posting dialogue box. It's a fairly straightforward way of uploading photos from your computer files or from the internet (url) via imgbb. Many of us have free imgbb accounts and manage photos in folders and then upload links through the more extensive mechanisms offered from a personal imgbb account.

Example of a picture uploaded from my computer via the aforementioned "Upload image..." link:

You can select "Preview" to the lower right of the post dialogue box to see if your images will display properly before hitting "Post".

Good luck  thumb1  We love pictures here!  :)

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »
Thanks Phosphorus. I'll try to get you an image later today. Do you just need the main stamping to see if it's refurbished, or some other part of the rifle?

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »
hi Cid and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 08:53:29 PM »
Thanks Carl. I am happy a site like this exists, but I guess there's a forum for everything.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 11:21:12 PM »
Hi and welcome.....pictures....like P32 says...we like pictures drool2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 11:38:17 PM »
Thanks Phosphorus. I'll try to get you an image later today. Do you just need the main stamping to see if it's refurbished, or some other part of the rifle?

Need the whole rifle, both sides, and all stamps and serial numbered parts to compare fonts etc. It’s not as straightforward (to me) to determine refurbishment for Chinese SKSs as it is for the Russians with their refurbishment depot marks etc.

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 08:49:13 PM »
Alright I took some photos, but forgot to take a picture of the other side of the rifle (I'll get that to you later). Let me know what you think.
https://ibb.co/c8KyCz
https://ibb.co/gswdCz
https://ibb.co/dub6ze
https://ibb.co/c2uFsz
https://ibb.co/kUheKe
https://ibb.co/fO8KKe
https://ibb.co/gUQAQK

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 11:35:39 PM »
That's a great looking type 56!  I'd call it as issued with maybe a possible stock touch-up.  Year 10 S/N indicates 1965 production. Year 10 was right before all the big changes started happening, I've seen quite a few nice ones from then.  thumb1

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 09:27:29 AM »
Great to hear that. As far as the stock goes, there is a tiny number 5 printed at an angle to the serial number, but no other numbers. I'll get more pictures in a bit.

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 10:44:17 AM »

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
I am convinced it's got some of the changes, but not all of the changes that came with 1965. It's got a shortened barrel lug and the sling connects to the bottom of the stock. On the other hand, the trigger guard is milled not stamped. I found the upside down U on the front sight as well as the back, but I didn't get good lighting so it's very faint.

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »
Sorry for spamming the thread, but if it has any meaning, the triangle on my stock has a 6 in it, not a 0.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »
Welcome aboard to the PREMIER CKC45g site on the Interweb!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 11:21:18 PM »
Sorry for spamming the thread, but if it has any meaning, the triangle on my stock has a 6 in it, not a 0.

That's a fairly common stock stamp for stocks on /26\ guns.  That stock is the original that was issued with the carbine. The more photos I see the more I think the stock is undickered, I'd say that is the original finish.

The transitions of the TG and FSB happened in year 11.  Year 10 had the barrel lug, sling swivel, and spike bayo mods (there is speculation that the spike was actually a very late year 9 update, but there is only data from a single specimen to back this up.). One of these days I'll post up a timeline with the changes we know of assiciated with S/N ranges.

Yours is a very nice carbine.  thumb1

• Newber
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 11:26:56 PM »
Thank you for the information. I'll try to get a good picture of the KSI import stamp for the photo collection. I don't know if my rifle would of any significant use for your data, but if it is, I'd love to have it contribute some way. I am going to take it out shooting in a few weeks at a friend's place.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 01:32:12 AM »
That's a nice looking Type 56! Did you get to shoot it yet? I have a 1963 /26\ (8 million) that has many of the small number stamps on the stock, too. I like the older ones for that reason. Lots of stamps that peak my curiosity!

Welcome to the Files!

firstchoice