Author Topic: Need help with arsenal stamp  (Read 625 times)

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Need help with arsenal stamp
« on: February 17, 2023, 03:43:37 PM »
Found a couple more Chinese rifles yesterday at a great deal , two for one price !

The one rifle is a triangle 26 which is kinda common , gun is in excellent shape all matching with the tickler hand guard :

The other has a triangle 636 , it also has matching numbers but there is no s/n on the stock , but that could just be the nature of the beast , also appears to be commercial and in great shape. I know there were a lot of different arsenals . I didn’t add picks of the /26\ but she is a beauty : )

Perhaps someone could help me identify this arsenal - any help would be appreciated !
The parts alone are worth what I paid , wasn’t really in the market , just 2 good to pass up.

Thanks in advance
Papa

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Need help with arsenal stamp
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 04:04:31 PM »
Nice!  The /26\ with a french tickler is likely a year 23 (1978) or 24 (1979) built gun as those were the two main years the were produced.  There are arsenal /26\ year 25 carbines floating around, but they are rarer then hens teeth and don't all have french ticklers. 

Arsenal /636\ is one of the more common arsenals after /26\ and maybe /416\.  We have examples of guns produced here from year 13 (1968) through year 26 (1981) with holes for years 23, 24, and 25.  A year 22 (1977) carbine like the one you have should have a pressed and pinned barrel, a cast gas block, RSL with a '3' marking, and stock and other components marked with the final 5 digits of the S/N.

Your stock not having a S/N but having a nice finish and good fitment means it was likely replaced in China prior to export.   

Looks to be a nice one!  thumb1

Here's a comparable one that sold on Gunbroker a while back:

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: Need help with arsenal stamp
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 10:09:51 PM »

Thanks for the helpful info , very pleased with these latest additions :

Stack em deep - Pile em high !