Author Topic: 1949 Tula Redux  (Read 4717 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
1949 Tula Redux
« on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:18 PM »
Well, you've seen it before, but here are some more pictures. A trade was established and now it resides in Washington and my 1951 resides in Chevy Boy's neck of the woods.

Not much more to say except I'm happy  :)  dance2 Just a lot of detailed pictures for reference. Remarkable how many 1949 features survived a heavy refurbishment at Arsenal No. 1, Balakleya.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: 1949 Tula Redux
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 10:58:28 PM »
Big congratulations again !!

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 11:45:45 PM »
Interesting to see bayonet has full serial e-penciled.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 10:43:19 AM »
Interesting to see bayonet has full serial e-penciled.

Yeah, that is a new location for a serial number to me.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 02:59:40 PM »
Interestingly, my 49 firing pin has a matching e-penciled serial number too.

The safety level is a real 49 level.

Offline Chevy Boy

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 03:37:49 PM »
Did a lot of 1949 parts typically get “scrubbed” and replaced during the refurbishment process?
I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona, you buy that I'll throw in the golden gate for free

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 03:39:03 PM »
beautiful , i need a rusky for my stable again
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 05:17:35 PM »
Did a lot of 1949 parts typically get “scrubbed” and replaced during the refurbishment process?

It's more likely case by case. However, you can generally tell if parts are period correct.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 09:43:50 PM »
Very nice rifle boss.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 09:50:24 PM »

It's more likely case by case. However, you can generally tell if parts are period correct.

Right, scrubbing and restamping parts was just a common procedure during refurbishment within the Soviet arms (and equipment) refurbishment arsenal system, regardless of the year of the SKS. So many parts on 1949 Tulas are unique to that year, as pcke points out, such that you can look for those period correct features: spike bayonet, proper stock, proper ferrule, bayonet lug, receiver cover latch with loop, magazine without a pin (lost on this one), general bolt shape, spring loaded firing pin...

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 09:51:02 PM »

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »

Right, scrubbing and restamping parts was just a common procedure during refurbishment within the Soviet arms (and equipment) refurbishment arsenal system, regardless of the year of the SKS. So many parts on 1949 Tulas are unique to that year, as pcke points out, such that you can look for those period correct features: spike bayonet, proper stock, proper ferrule, bayonet lug, receiver cover latch with loop, magazine without a pin (lost on this one), general bolt shape, spring loaded firing pin...

I would like to add 'safety lever'. I still believe 1949 to early 1950 (?) has different type of safety lever.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 11:23:04 PM »

I would like to add 'safety lever'. I still believe 1949 to early 1950 (?) has different type of safety lever.

The lever is pretty much the same but it is friction based as opposed to the spring 'over center' based safety levers which, without the spring, just flop around.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 11:51:05 PM »

The lever is pretty much the same but it is friction based as opposed to the spring 'over center' based safety levers which, without the spring, just flop around.

Sorry, that's not what I was talking about. The difference was regarding the direction of serrations on the lever.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 07:32:28 AM »
I compared my early 50 and 54 safety levers. Never noticed difference until it was mentioned. I added 2 pictures from a early 49(no knurls).

https://ibb.co/album/FkZhjC
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 07:44:18 AM by jstin2 »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2021, 10:15:13 AM »

Sorry, that's not what I was talking about. The difference was regarding the direction of serrations on the lever.

Huh, never paid attention to the aesthetics of them. I'll have to compare next time I get them out.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline jaroslav

• Cadet
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2021, 11:09:46 AM »
It looks, that the gas tube and piston were replaced. The font on the first letter is different from the rest.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2021, 11:47:57 AM »
It looks, that the gas tube and piston were replaced. The font on the first letter is different from the rest.

You’re referring to the font of free hand electropenciled parts? I definitely look at fonts on stamped parts but I never thought to assume that all parts that are EPd have to be done by the same person in the same way on each part. That seems like a big set of assumptions to me.

I’ve never seen a gas piston quite like this one before. It’s subtle but different.

Offline jaroslav

• Cadet
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2021, 12:12:57 PM »
Yes. Different hand did the first letter.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2021, 12:26:57 PM »
Yes. Different hand did the first letter.

Yeah, I’m sticking to that’s impossible to determine, given that an electropencil is not a precision writing tool, the different radii of the two parts, and it’s a human doing the writing (no two letters will be exactly the same). You can see how wavy every part of the Ж is on the tighter radius gas piston.