Author Topic: Russian Tula 1950?  (Read 490 times)

Offline bmarlatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Russian Tula 1950?
« on: November 30, 2023, 11:55:55 AM »
Hello,

I just registered to this website after being gifted this SKS. What do I have here and is it worth anything?

Cheers,
Brian

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Russian Tula 1950?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 12:32:01 PM »
It does look to be a 1950 Russian model 45 SKS at first glance. It is what they call a Heavy  Refurb due to the coating (commonly called BBQ paint) on the action and bolt carrier as well as the raw metal rear sight leaf and xxx-out SN on the stock. Basically re-arsenaled in Russia before export to the US. Very clean and nice rifle though and definitely something to keep. Worth probably $750 minimum on up to $1000 depending on the day, location, and method sold.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 12:32:46 PM »
And BTW, welcome to the files. :)
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline bmarlatt

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 12:40:30 PM »
Thank you for the welcome. I think I will hang on to it!

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 12:45:01 PM »
Visible features indicate 1950-1952 production. Can you post a photo of the serial number on the receiver cover and photos the bolt and carrier?

The serial font on the back of the cover is a good indication of replacement or original part.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 02:37:54 PM »
Welcome to the files!

Nice carbine. I don't have much to add to what Boris said.  There are two other TK prefixed carbines in the database with identical features to yours, both are heavy refurbs with 1950 receiver covers.  Even w/o seeing more photos such as the font on the receiver cover S/N, I'd lean towards it being a late '50 based on that plus the apparent features that I can see.

Welcome to the files!

Nice carbine. I don't have much to add to what Boris said.  There are two other TK prefixed carbines in the database with identical features to yours, both are heavy refurbs with 1950 receiver covers.  Even w/o seeing more photos such as the font on the receiver cover S/N, I'd lean towards it being a late '50 based on that plus the apparent features that I can see.

Offline bmarlatt

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 05:03:33 PM »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 10:22:07 PM »
Thanks for the photo of the cover serial. The serial font is a match for the receiver.

It's always best to date Soviet rifles by feature to determine if dated parts are original or replacement. This dated cover looks to be original to the rifle.

Does it have a spring loaded firing pin and the early machining on the bolt and carrier?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 02:27:09 AM »
Very nice gift!  :o

I love the stock, regardless of it being a replacement from a 1952 donor. That is a very straight-grained piece of solid birch, as suggested by the laminate appearance on the left side. The original stock maker certainly selected a great stock blank. 

Offline theSKSguy45

• I huff cosmoline recreationally
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 10:02:38 AM »
Stock almost looks Chinese/Yugo with that grain. Very nice.
My bank account is in a permanent state of emergency thanks to this site