Author Topic: Russian SKS?  (Read 342 times)

Offline JDSQD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Russian SKS?
« on: November 01, 2023, 06:05:51 PM »
I recently bought two cosmoline covered SKS rifles at auction. One seems to be a Chinese "ghost rifle" that I'd like to get some input in another post. The other SKS has import markings indicating that it is a Type 56, however the markings make me believe this is a Type 45. Everything is matching. The serial number is preceded with "PB". The gas tube has the serial number matching everything else and a serial that has two letters preceding a serial number, one of which has a cryllic "G". The receiver has a square with a diagonal line. Behind the serial number on the receiver is a regular number 12 inside a triangle.  It seems more like an inspection stamp. Any information is appreciated.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Russian SKS?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 11:08:02 PM »
Welcome to the files! 

You have what we at SKS-Files typically call a ‘Russian Sneak’ there. The import stamp should be either IO out of Monroe or Palm Bay, or TGI out of Knoxville, TN. These are Albanian stored Russian SKS45 carbines that were brought in with a batch of legal Chinese type 56s. The sorting process was not done well and these Russian guns which are not currently importable due to the joint signed voluntary restraint agreement (VRA) were ‘inadvertently’ imported.  ATF finally caught on to this after the fact and confiscated and destroyed the remnants of whatever sneaks were left at the importers waiting to be sold to retailers.

Most of the sneaks that turned up have either mismatched (blank Russian or Chinese) receiver covers or are ‘56-‘58 letter guns with inherent blank covers. This one is interesting in that it’s a ‘matching’ cover but it’s not original to that carbine. The carbine is a ‘53 thru ‘55 Tula based on the round front portion of the receiver & the S/N font. Those carbines all had arsenal stamps with years on the original receiver cover. The ‘diver down’ stamp on top of the receiver cover corresponds to the 1st GRAU and is a good indication of the refurbishment of the carbine in the Soviet Union before it was shipped to Albania in the 60’s.  The /12\ on the receiver is also a likely refurbishment stamp.

Offline JDSQD

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 11:22:42 PM »
Wow! Very interesting! Thanks so much for the information. Did the ATF only confiscate from the importers? It is an IO.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 11:28:25 PM »
You definitely have a cool Russian there. I have a couple of the “Russian sneaks” from Albania and find them to be intriguing just because of their provenance and relative scarcity.

ATF only confiscated from the importers. There are plenty of Russian SKSs in the US and I suspect going after individual buyers who initially purchased them sight unseen would be a bit too much of punishing an unwitting consumer for the sins of the importer.

Triangle 12 is a known Soviet refurbishment arsenal marking but where it was located remains unknown.

https://www.m9130.info/repair-depot-markings

Offline JDSQD

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 11:44:57 PM »
Thanks for the information! Very interesting! I bought this along with a Type 56 as a set at auction. I believe the Type 56 is a five digit "ghost". I'll post pictures to find out if it's likely a ghost. Thanks again!